Bill McKee

Default Who 'da man...

I 'da man.

I was trying to figure out how to move the Halman on the trailer
without actually launching the boat. The reason is that the boat
isn't sitting right on the trailer - too far forward and a little to
the right on the rollers.

Came up with the answer this morning in a fit of genius. I jacked up
the bow, used a heavy duty tie down rig, strung it across the bow and
attached it to the right and left stanchions on the trailer.

VOILA!!!

It only took me three days to figure it out, but hey...

That is because you are a mathematician. And your slide rule was not strong
enough.

Don White

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

Would you believe that I still use a slide rule?

Can you give lessons over the internet? I learned how to use one in
1968 but it's been packed away ever since.
Don White

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 23:52:14 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

Would you believe that I still use a slide rule?

Can you give lessons over the internet? I learned how to use one in
1968 but it's been packed away ever since.

I can do better than that...

http://www.sliderules.clara.net/a-to-z/a-to-z.htm

Every once in a while, I get dragooned into substituting for one of
the middle/high school advanced math teachers. I always take my slide
rules along, put up an equation appropriate for the class on the black
boats and challenge the class to beat me to a solution with their
calculators.

In twenty years, I've never been beat. Sets the tone for the rest of
the time I'm there don't 'cha know. :)

Thanks Tom.
Tomorrow I go up to the attic and dig out the old sliderule.
I got it at DeVry Institute of Technology in Toronto.
Bill McKee

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 20:15:18 GMT, "Bill McKee"

. ..
I 'da man.

I was trying to figure out how to move the Halman on the trailer
without actually launching the boat. The reason is that the boat
isn't sitting right on the trailer - too far forward and a little to
the right on the rollers.

Came up with the answer this morning in a fit of genius. I jacked up
the bow, used a heavy duty tie down rig, strung it across the bow and
attached it to the right and left stanchions on the trailer.

VOILA!!!

It only took me three days to figure it out, but hey...

That is because you are a mathematician. And your slide rule was not
strong
enough.

Would you believe that I still use a slide rule?

Is that to work it out at times?

Bill McKee

wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

Would you believe that I still use a slide rule?

Can you give lessons over the internet? I learned how to use one in
1968 but it's been packed away ever since.

I can do better than that...

http://www.sliderules.clara.net/a-to-z/a-to-z.htm

Every once in a while, I get dragooned into substituting for one of
the middle/high school advanced math teachers. I always take my slide
rules along, put up an equation appropriate for the class on the black
boats and challenge the class to beat me to a solution with their
calculators.

In twenty years, I've never been beat. Sets the tone for the rest of
the time I'm there don't 'cha know. :)

The first TI SR-52 I got was faster than the slide rule. Did not lose the
decimal point.

Bryan

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 00:25:47 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
In twenty years, I've never been beat. Sets the tone for the rest of
the time I'm there don't 'cha know. :)

Black boats?

Should be black boards.

Man, I'm really tired.

What's the problem? This is rec.boats. I just assumed it was a play on
words with a nod to our venue.