posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Default New Plugin opens OpenCPN for n.v.digital charts

Hi all,
the freeware / public domain chart program OpenCPN just became better:
Thanks to a plugin created in cooperation with NV publishers,
n.v.digital charts can be used now with OpenCPN.

The plugin can be found he

http://opencpn.org/downloadplugins

The project's homepage is here

http://opencpn.org/

I am happy that my proposal to create this plugin fell on fertile
ground and that the cooperation of the developers with nv publishers
produced something very useful.

Nope, no interest in either party here, just interested to make things
work.

Cheers,
U.

f'up2 rec.boats.cruising set.

On Tue, 31 May 2011 13:15:02 +0200, Ulrich G. Kliegis
diesemailadressevonUlliistzwaretwaslangabersieist
wrote:

Hi all,
the freeware / public domain chart program OpenCPN just became better:
Thanks to a plugin created in cooperation with NV publishers,
n.v.digital charts can be used now with OpenCPN.

====

I'm not familiar with NV charts. What areas do they cover?

On Tue, 31 May 2011 07:19:29 -0400, Wayne B
wrote in rec.boats.cruising:

I'm not familiar with NV charts. What areas do they cover?

See he

http://www.nv-verlag.com/new_eng/nv_...r_digital.html

U.

On Tue, 31 May 2011 15:06:55 +0200, Ulrich G. Kliegis

wrote in rec.boats.cruising:

I'm not familiar with NV charts. What areas do they cover?

See he

http://www.nv-verlag.com/new_eng/nv_...r_digital.html

U.

They look suspiciously like the charts that Maptech used to market
under their name. Are they in BSB format and use some sort of weird
copy/encryption scheme?

On Tue, 31 May 2011 17:23:21 -0400, Wayne B
wrote in rec.boats.cruising:

They look suspiciously like the charts that Maptech used to market
under their name. Are they in BSB format and use some sort of weird
copy/encryption scheme?

afaik, Maptech marketed these charts in the U.S. on behalf of NV.
Yes, they are encrypted, that made the plugin necessary. You may not
be aware that BSB charts are available free of charge only for the US
from NOAA - the rest of the world has to pay substantial money for
charts of their home waters - either to government-owned agencies (via
dealers) or private publishers, who produce their own cartographic
data. So, if you live in the US and sail only on NOAA-charted waters,
praise yourself lucky.

I posted this in the rec groups since they have an international
reader- and writership (oops, a pun!)

Cheers,
U.

wrote in rec.boats.cruising:

They look suspiciously like the charts that Maptech used to market
under their name. Are they in BSB format and use some sort of weird
copy/encryption scheme?

afaik, Maptech marketed these charts in the U.S. on behalf of NV.
Yes, they are encrypted, that made the plugin necessary. You may not
be aware that BSB charts are available free of charge only for the US
from NOAA - the rest of the world has to pay substantial money for
charts of their home waters - either to government-owned agencies (via
dealers) or private publishers, who produce their own cartographic
data. So, if you live in the US and sail only on NOAA-charted waters,
praise yourself lucky.

I posted this in the rec groups since they have an international
reader- and writership (oops, a pun!)

Cheers,
U.

Coming late to this party, but wondering - do your comments mean that the
entirety of the Maptech charts is now available? THAT could be a real boon.

I just started playing around with OCPN, having met the developer in the
wilds of the Ragged Islands. I'm not yet handy with it...

Wonder if anyone will come up with MaxSea and/or Cap'n plug-ins, or if the
open source nature of CPN is how that came about...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

On 5/31/2011 1:15 PM, Ulrich G. Kliegis wrote:
Hi all,
the freeware / public domain chart program OpenCPN just became better:
Thanks to a plugin created in cooperation with NV publishers,
n.v.digital charts can be used now with OpenCPN.

The plugin can be found he

http://opencpn.org/downloadplugins

The project's homepage is here

http://opencpn.org/

I am happy that my proposal to create this plugin fell on fertile
ground and that the cooperation of the developers with nv publishers
produced something very useful.

Nope, no interest in either party here, just interested to make things
work.

Cheers,
U.

f'up2 rec.boats.cruising set.

Congratulations and thank you for pushing for this plug in.

Thank you to the creators of OpenCPN and to made this plug in available!

Fair winds,

boeland

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 10:05:39 +0200, Ulrich G. Kliegis
wrote:

Maptech marketed these charts in the U.S. on behalf of NV.
Yes, they are encrypted, that made the plugin necessary.

OK, understood. I already have a set of the Maptech charts for the
Bahamas, all three regions. With the new plugin, can I know install
them under OpenCPN?

New Plugin opens OpenCPN for n.v.digital charts Ulrich G. Kliegis[_2_] General 0 May 31st 11 12:15 PM
Mexico Digital Charts Jeannette[_2_] Cruising 0 October 3rd 07 11:22 PM
Digital Charts [email protected] Cruising 13 February 26th 07 12:09 AM
Digital Charts Rex Jones General 37 September 1st 04 04:45 PM
Digital Charts Rex Jones Electronics 1 August 31st 04 04:07 PM