Default Gogarty, you're stupid if you really think it's ice in the choke point.

Duh. WAKE UP. The refrigerant is hot or warm in the orifice in the choke
point. It's still compressed there. Ain't no way ice is going to form there.
Debris blocking it maybe; ice - NO! Only when the refrigerant exits the
choke point and begins to expand does it get cold enough to freeze water.
This happens AFTER the choke point and not at the choke point.

Is everybody on RBC stupid? Are they all Bruce in Bangkok clones or
something?

Wilbur Hubbard

On Tue, 3 May 2011 20:18:09 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Duh. WAKE UP. The refrigerant is hot or warm in the orifice in the choke
point. It's still compressed there. Ain't no way ice is going to form there.
Debris blocking it maybe; ice - NO! Only when the refrigerant exits the
choke point and begins to expand does it get cold enough to freeze water.
This happens AFTER the choke point and not at the choke point.

Is everybody on RBC stupid? Are they all Bruce in Bangkok clones or
something?

Wilbur Hubbard

Jesus but you are stupid. Or perhaps you didn't read this part in your
magazine. But in an attempt to educate (yes I know pearls before
swine) you I'll tell you what happens.

The expanding gas decreases in both pressure and temperature rapidly
and is cold enough to freeze water. As you rightly note the
temperature in the entire capillary tube, actually an orifice in
practice, is not cold enough to form ice however at the point of
pressure drop it certainly is. Whether the blockage actually takes
place at the beginning of the tube or at the end of the tube is
immaterial, it happens, the tube is blocked, and the symptoms are
certainly familiar to what the O.P. noted.

I'm amazed at your lack of knowledge about refrigeration systems. You
certainly don't have experience with anything more sophisticated then
a kitchen fridge. Certainly nothing as complex as an automobile
air-con which, along with all of the more efficient systems, uses an
expansion valve rather then the rudimentary capillary tube and I might
point out that water in a system with an expansion valve acts exactly
as the O.P. stated.

As a wise man once said, "it is better to remain silent and be thought
a fool then to open one's mouth and prove it."

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

On Wed, 04 May 2011 10:43:28 -0400, Gogarty
wrote:

Here ya be:

"Moisture in a refrigeration system, directly or indirectly, is the cause of
most problems and complaints. First, moisture can cause freeze-up in a system.
Moisture is picked up by the refrigerant and transported through the
refrigerant line in a fine mist, with ice crystals forming at the point of
expansion."

That was my recent experience on the second of two systems that I
installed on our boat. After encountering symptoms similar to yours,
I ordered a new vacuum pump from Amazon for about $100 (cheaper than a
service call, and I already had a gauge set and can tap). I left the
vacuum pump running for 9 hours, checked to make sure that the system
was holding vacuum, and then recharged. It has been running fine ever
since.

"Gogarty" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

I just ordered the vacuum pump today, from Harbor Freight. $100 plus tax
and
shipping. I don't have the guage set. Way cheaper than a service call and
might even be able to rent it out at the marina.

What a dumbass, you are Gogarty. In the process of spending money on a
vacuum pump you will do exactly as I suggested. You will remove the
overcharge of refrigerant and put back the right amount. Sadly, you could
have accomplished the very same thing by the simple expedient of bleeding
off the excess pressure.

So many MORONS, so little time . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

On Wed, 04 May 2011 14:46:54 -0400, Gogarty
wrote:

I just ordered the vacuum pump today, from Harbor Freight. $100 plus tax and
shipping. I don't have the guage set. Way cheaper than a service call and I
might even be able to rent it out at the marina.

You really need a gauge set also to properly use the vacuum pump and
recharge the system. The valves on the gauge set allow you to vacuum
both the high and low pressure side at the same time, and then seal
off the high pressure side, purge the low pressure hose and recharge.
It is important to do things in the right sequence to avoid exploding
the recharge can and/or reintroduce moisture to the system. The gauge
set also gives you an indication that the system is fully charged.
Be careful not to overcharge - you can damage the compressor.

"Gogarty" wrote in message
In article .com,
llid says...
"Gogarty" wrote in message
In article .com,
llid says...
[...]

Ah HAH! The point of expansion - EXACTLY! The refrigerant only begins to
expand AFTER the choke point. Up to the choke point, the compressed
refrigerant is actually warm.

Not in an overcharged system.

EXACT-****ING-LY. If you were capable of reading with comprehension you
would have read my saying exactly THAT. I said to bleed some excess pressure
from your system and enjoy a working system even if you refuse to acknowlege
my excellent advice, PUTZ!

After it gets past the choke point it can then
expand and become cold as it expands. If you look at the evaporator you
will
see a couple of interesting things. The large diameter copper tubing from
the compressor chokes down to a spiral of very small diameter copper
tubing
(choke point) which spirals around the larger copper tube. The whole
freaking thing has warm refrigerant inside...

(Snip)

You sound like a Republican claiming credit for the death of Osama bin
Laden,

I am familiar with both over charge and under charge in a refrigerator
system.

The point you are overlooking is the manner in which the various tubes are
related. The cap tube does not suddenly appear as a coil of very fine
tubing
just ahead of the evaporator. It is inside the tube that runs from the
discharge side of the evaporator to the suction side of the compressor. If
the
unit is overcharged then liquid is still in the evaporator and inside the
large diameter discharge to suction tube where it continues to flash and
cool
the refrigerant to well below the freezing point of water before it
reaches
the evaporator. There is no "choke point." The cap tube terminates at the
copper to aluminum transition where it is free to expan. Visual evidence
is
frost on the tube inside of which is the cap tube. In a dry system over
charge
will degrade performance and increase power demand. But it won't stop the
system from running and cooling. Serious overcharge can put liquid
refrigerant
back into the suction side of the compressor which is not a good thing.

Freaking clueless moron! Won't listen to factual information. Insists upon
making up his very own laws of physics.

No wonder he goes through life bothering everybody with the most simple of
problems anybody with half a brain never experiences.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Wed, 4 May 2011 19:21:38 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

She said she even took the software off her computer
because of the attacks and 'chest-thumping' which she could not abide.

That's odd since "she" is still posting on rec.boats under a different
name.

wrote:

She said she even took the software off her computer
because of the attacks and 'chest-thumping' which she could not abide.

That's odd since "she" is still posting on rec.boats under a different
name.

Endeplume??? How do you know they are the same person? Jessica was a
conservative voice and deplume is a rabid asshole liberal. Their headers are
suspiciously similar, down to the news client and hushmail and even time
zone but there are lots of people out there on the left coast. The same
person would sound the same, have the same tone, etc.

wrote:

She said she even took the software off her computer
because of the attacks and 'chest-thumping' which she could not abide.

That's odd since "she" is still posting on rec.boats under a different
name.

Endeplume??? How do you know they are the same person? Jessica was a
conservative voice and deplume is a rabid asshole liberal. Their headers are
suspiciously similar, down to the news client and hushmail and even time
zone but there are lots of people out there on the left coast. The same
person would sound the same, have the same tone, etc.

W'hine is suspicious of all who see through his political posturing and
apologeticas for Big Oil.

On Wed, 4 May 2011 17:10:35 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Gogarty" wrote in message
In article .com,
llid says...
"Gogarty" wrote in message
In article .com,
llid says...
[...]

Nope Willie, like a lot of things you read but you didn't understand.
The chap you quoted has it right, the temperature drop takes place AT
the point of expansion, not someplace after the orifice.

You must have a rather odd edition of a basic physics manual - the
temperature drop occurs somewhere downstream of the orifice.....

Nope Willie, you got it wrong and all the ducking and diving that you
do isn't going to prove that it right.

Wilbur Hubbard