Default Tips for single-handed sailing...

I don't think they mean having one hand tied behind your back.

http://sfbaysss.org/tipsbook/SinglehandedTips.pdf

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 17, 8:59*am, CaveLamb wrote:
I don't think they mean having one hand tied behind your back.

http://sfbaysss.org/tipsbook/SinglehandedTips.pdf

--

Richard Lamb
email me:
web site: *http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

Very interesting Richard.

Both my brother and I had some issues with sensory deprivation
causing Hallucinations. Seeing things on the bow, hearing radios and
voices from the drains in the cockpit and the spinning shaft. The
voices sounded like ****ed off Gremlins. It happened on those nights
when it was smooth silent sailing 4-5 knots with no stars, moon or
horizon, you were totally void of any sensory imputs cept that red
compass rose floating in front of you. My favorate that we both saw
was the wizard on the bow smacking the pulpit rail with his wand. The
whole experience reminded me of that William Hurt movie Altered
states.

Joe

Joe wrote:
[...]

You are, of course, in good company there, Joe.

Joshua Slocum himself had an episode where the navigator of the Pinta
showed up and sailed Spray for him while he was incapacitated one night.

Navy Seal training intentionally puts candidates in that condition so they
will know what's happening and how to deal with it in the bush.

And even I (no seal, that's for sure) have experienced hallucinations after
about 4 days with no sleep. (Viet Nam) Mine were ghostly outlines of a large
cat and bird just wandering around ignoring me.

Interesting what the mind can do...

On Feb 19, 8:35*am, CaveLamb wrote:
Joe wrote:
[...]

That's more of a fatigue issue, I think only sailboats in near perfect
conditions can put you in a totally sensory deprived situation.
This is far different than fatique... it's total isolation from any
sensory imput. What the guide describes as "Lucid Dreams" you are
fully awake but the brain tries to make sense of near zero external
imput.

Like flying in dense fog without any sounds. We both had enough time
off watch. We both have extensive time on the helm, but on boats that
provide lots of sensory imput..ie engine noise, radars images, gauges,
radios, ect..ect.

And even I (no seal, that's for sure) have experienced hallucinations after
about 4 days with no sleep. (Viet Nam) *Mine were ghostly outlines of a large
cat and bird just wandering around ignoring me.

Lack of sleep can cause hallucinations. My most vivid was after 30+
hours non-stop driving when the white lines on the highway started
stacking up on top of each other, the gravel on the side of the road
snapped me out of it before I went to far off course.

Interesting what the mind can do...

Indeed

Joe

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Junior Member

First, buy petrol on Tuesdays. It's cheaper then than any other day of the week. Shop for your child's clothes at St Vincent de Paul's and other OP Shops. I was picking up Pumpkin Patch and Osh Kosh for $1 a piece, sometimes cheaper.

Single handed docking Bart ASA 25 July 25th 07 11:25 PM
four pile mooring for single-handed sailing [email protected] Cruising 12 March 31st 07 06:54 PM
Single Handed Anchoring off the bow Harlan Lachman Cruising 42 February 27th 07 03:35 AM
Single Handed Lock Working Jon Masterson UK Power Boats 2 July 27th 04 07:02 AM
Single Handed Flag?? Steve Cruising 32 January 8th 04 05:06 PM