Joe Joe is offline

Default Hybrid Energy Drive / Eco-Sailing

On Nov 22, 8:37*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 17:49:24 -0800 (PST), Joe

wrote:
Have been on a hundred boats with 25-72 inch props and had to chain
them down many times to prevent damage to the gears. As I said the
power is massive and you had better have heavy chains and binders.

Joe, my trawler has 30 inch, 4 bladed props on 2 1/2 shafts. * Can you
suggest a procedure for safely binding/chaining a shaft while
underway? * I was thinking about something like 3 or 4 loops of 1 inch
line terminating in a block and tackle lead to an overhead beam.

While underway...No

Stopped you can wrap it 7 times and bind it with a heavy chain and a
proper binder. Just be careful to bind both ways

I would look for something else besides the overhead beam, like a
stringer.
We always had big steel or aluminum T stringers on both sides of the
gear boxes and shaft tubes.

Without seeing the set-up it's hard to give any advice.
Do you have a picture on the web anywhere?

Joe