Default The Ultimate Alternator Project

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:30:55 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

err... you house is 110 VAC and the boat is 12 VDC. Your 200 amp load
center is handling 110 X 200 = 22 KW (approximately) while the boat is
handling 12 X 250 = 3 KW.

Cheers,

Bruce

Hello Bruce:

Yes you and et al are totally correct. I aplogize deeply for my quick
read of the original post and mislead reply. After 4 beers and a
quick look at his post I though the guy was going to hang an AC 110V
generator off his main. So at face value of my post I must apologize
for a seemingly ignorant rant. But to be honest most the times the
problems guys here seek guidance are off on the wrong foot to begin
which leads them down a path of frustration, expense, loss of
reliability, added complexity, and compromised safety.

Time for me to cross my legs and ask for that last spike. Crucify away
gentle men, I am guilty of not giving a member of RBC a sincere read.

Even still............. do you actually believe a boat 45' should
consume that many amp/watts ??? I still say that its either time he
reduced his amp consumption or get a larger vessel capable of
providing the volume to support that kind of load,,, as in a dedicated
gen set.

BOb

I know that they can. When I worked in Indonesia the owner of the
company bought a 35 ft. Grand Banks. It had IIRC a 3KW generator set
and he burned it up twice. The second time he had me look at it to
find out what was wrong. I did and took an electrician with me, with
his amp meter. After checking we discovered that with everything on -
electric stove, air con, ice maker, fridge, hi fi, etc. he was drawing
more then 3 Kw which turns the head on the generator engine all black
and blistered.

I cam back and told him that the only solution was to buy a new
generator, which he didn't like. His solution illustrates why some
people have bigger boats then others. He traded the Grand Banks for a
share of a charter business in Bali (which was later sold for a
million, or so) and bought a bigger boat - 65 ft. steel hull motor
sailor which had a gigantic Lister genset.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bob Bob is offline

When I worked in Indonesia the owner of the
company bought a 35 ft. .................

After checking we discovered that with everything on -
electric stove, air con, ice maker, fridge, hi fi, etc. he was drawing
more then 3 Kw which turns the head on the generator engine all black
and blistered...........

He traded the Grand Banks for a
share of a charter business in Bali (which was later sold for a
million, or so) and bought a bigger boat - 65 ft. steel hull motor
sailor which had a gigantic Lister genset.

Cheers,

Bruce

Now that is what I call a satisfactory solution. A 65 ft MOTOR
(sailor) is just the right size for a couple plus occasional company
if they are the sorts who enjoy cooking turkeys, drinking wine, and
hate the inconvienance of doing laundry in those "gross laundromats
(that means Washateria Joe) for where those common people frequent."

I still advocate buying a 10 year old 70' gulf shrimper for most the
people here. Heck $100,000 boat plus $10,000-20,000 for some yard work
and your good to go! And talk about a deep freezer for your turkeys!
Heck you can haul 50,000 lbs of frozen turkey if ya want Plus cary
15,000 gallons of fuel to run those two gen sets.
Bob

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:38:27 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

[...]

The problem with converting fishing boats is mainly that the engine is
sized for working and as a yacht you don't need all that power. Given
that most fishing boats do not have plaining hulls likely you can get
along with, say 60 H.P., for cruising at, again say 7 K.

The fishing boat engine is probably sized to haul a net along the
bottom and is likely 1 - 200 H.P. A 70 foot working boat loads fuel by
the ton, not by the gallon as most long distance power boats do.

There is a 40 ft. New Zealand shrimper in the Marina with a 100 H.P.
Gardner engine. The saving grace is that a Gardner is quite happy to
churn along at 900 RPM all day. A modern diesel isn't.

Your figure for 10 - 20,000 to convert the boat is, I suspect, quite a
few dollars less then the ultimate cost. Remember, you'd need to do
something about the fish hold and rip out the big chiller system.

Cheers,

Bruce

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 07:18:49 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

Your figure for 10 - 20,000 to convert the boat is, I suspect, quite a
few dollars less then the ultimate cost. Remember, you'd need to do
something about the fish hold and rip out the big chiller system.

And then there is the "aroma" issue and all of the rusting galvanized
hardware on board.

You can make them seaworthy but very difficult to make them a yacht.
If it looks like a derelict rust bucket you will be a target for the
coast guard everywhere you go and find it difficult to get a slip at a
marina.

Bob Bob is offline

You can make them seaworthy but very difficult to make them a yacht.
If it looks like a derelict rust bucket you will be a target for the
coast guard everywhere you go and find it difficult to get a slip at a
marina.

Humm, actually I have put some thought into the shrimper conversion. I
talked to two west coast shipyards and a Louisana yard each
specialized in boats under 120' each yard also hauled several
shrimpers monthly. Each said, it would take $10-20K to bring a typical
boat back into shape given $100,000 - $120,000 price. Yes, the power
is a problem. Most have a single Cat 3412 and consume 24 gallons per
hour under 100% load (Cat website spec sheets) with 18 g/hr at 75%.
The skipper on the anchor boat I worked was a former shrimper and
suggested just change out the marine gear hang a cruising wheel and
added just about any used Cat would last a recreational user years
longer than its working conterparts.

Humm what to do with that huge hold................ shop?? storage??
fab another state room.

Its very doable. The gulf shrimpers in Oregon are well kept, look
sharp and a reasonalbly capable design even for PNW operation.

Personally Id much rather have a boat designed and built for
commercical work than some $500,000 floating plastic Howard Johnsons.

Hell cut fire wood in Maine and haul cord wood to NY and sell off the
boat for $400/cord.... humm
Just another knuckle head idea to compliment Coffee Joe's fiasco.

Bob Bob is offline

The problem with converting fishing boats is mainly that the engine is
sized for working and as a yacht you don't need all that power. Given
that most fishing boats do *not have plaining hulls likely you can get
along with, say 60 H.P., for cruising at, again say 7 K.

The fishing boat engine is probably sized to haul a net along the
bottom and is likely 1 - 200 H.P. A 70 foot working boat loads fuel by
the ton, not by the gallon as most long distance power boats do.

Bruce

HI Bruce. Im not sure if yo are familure with the typical GOM shrimper
found in TX_LA_MS. They are steel flat bottom trawlers 60'-100' The
size that interests me is the 70s footers. They weigh in about 120-130
GRT with a hull speed of about 12-13 knts. They are designed to drag a
nets at 3.0-4.0 knots all day. thus the 500 HP main.

Not necessarily fuel by the ton.... check out the Cat website engine
specs. 15-21 g/hr is not unreasonable.
20 gal x $3.00 = $60.00/hr for fuel. 15,000 gal fuel tank x $3.00 =
$45,000 for a fill-up. Sounds reasonable to me

But I think Ill stick to my 3QM30 at 3 pints per hour for now I
just thought all the rich people here with 48' yachts would enjoy an
alternative to shoveling more wasted money down a fiberglass lined
hole.

BOb

"Bob" wrote in message

I still advocate buying a 10 year old 70' gulf shrimper for most the
people here. Heck $100,000 boat plus $10,000-20,000 for some yard work
and your good to go! And talk about a deep freezer for your turkeys!
Heck you can haul 50,000 lbs of frozen turkey if ya want Plus cary
15,000 gallons of fuel to run those two gen sets.
Bob

Ah - the prices are falling dramatically. Perhaps by the time I get ready
for such a boat, if ever, they'll pay me to take if off their hands.

(Original quoted price was 200k)

L8R

Skip :{))

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.

In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.

Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

On 11/15/10 8:33 PM, Bob wrote:

[...]

Yeah, and an old city bus makes a great camper if only you rebuild it,
tear out the seats, put in carpeting and visit the local trash dump for
bedding, furniture and used plumbing.
Bob Bob is offline

As with everything else BOb you are about 30 years behind the curve.
The big money with boats and lumber happened in the PWN when some GOM
mariners converted a few standby boats and started underwater logging
along the old growth lumber routes. They made a fortune.

Well considering I was a GOM diver (DIT 107-80) and born and raised in
PNW and live here again I can say Im in tune with that underwater
logging gig. Yes, there was a couple years here that was possible. We
gotthe idea from the great lakes guys in the mid 70s. In pnw the state
steped in and said those underwater logs were habitat for young/
juvenile salmonids and said no to UW Log ops.

Everyone supported the stop work to save the salmon..... except for a
couple gypo recreational divers who though they were bad ass UW
loggers.

*It's great to have seen you progress here in the last 8 mo from a
humble deckhand

My job title was Able Seaman. Sorry to dissapoint ya Joe I wasnt one
of ur unlicensed guys who got fired at bugger king and could only find
a job on a crew boat.

who would be proud to "scrub the ****ters"

My exact words were, Any work on a vessel was honerable. An individual
is the one who brings any shame to an honerable profession.

to a master
mariner and a source of imporant galley fire fighting knowledge to the
masses.

I was simply asking questions? Questions that need ansering if youre
on a boat.

Well done Bob..keep up the good work..

Thank you for your support Joe.

PS your typing and spelling was excellent in that last post...well
done...

Ya, I think I used a spell check and actually read what I typed

Bob

Bob

Joe

Joe