Bruce[_3_] Bruce[_3_] is offline

Default The Ultimate Alternator Project

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:30:55 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

err... you house is 110 VAC and the boat is 12 VDC. Your 200 amp load
center is handling 110 X 200 = 22 KW (approximately) while the boat is
handling 12 X 250 = 3 KW.

Cheers,

Bruce

Hello Bruce:

Yes you and et al are totally correct. I aplogize deeply for my quick
read of the original post and mislead reply. After 4 beers and a
quick look at his post I though the guy was going to hang an AC 110V
generator off his main. So at face value of my post I must apologize
for a seemingly ignorant rant. But to be honest most the times the
problems guys here seek guidance are off on the wrong foot to begin
which leads them down a path of frustration, expense, loss of
reliability, added complexity, and compromised safety.

Time for me to cross my legs and ask for that last spike. Crucify away
gentle men, I am guilty of not giving a member of RBC a sincere read.

Even still............. do you actually believe a boat 45' should
consume that many amp/watts ??? I still say that its either time he
reduced his amp consumption or get a larger vessel capable of
providing the volume to support that kind of load,,, as in a dedicated
gen set.

BOb

I know that they can. When I worked in Indonesia the owner of the
company bought a 35 ft. Grand Banks. It had IIRC a 3KW generator set
and he burned it up twice. The second time he had me look at it to
find out what was wrong. I did and took an electrician with me, with
his amp meter. After checking we discovered that with everything on -
electric stove, air con, ice maker, fridge, hi fi, etc. he was drawing
more then 3 Kw which turns the head on the generator engine all black
and blistered.

I cam back and told him that the only solution was to buy a new
generator, which he didn't like. His solution illustrates why some
people have bigger boats then others. He traded the Grand Banks for a
share of a charter business in Bali (which was later sold for a
million, or so) and bought a bigger boat - 65 ft. steel hull motor
sailor which had a gigantic Lister genset.

Cheers,

Bruce