Default ISO Pace-Edwards Mast Steps

On 10/15/2010 7:48 AM, Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
wrote in message
So, Sasquatch, here.

Skip when are you going to make your boat ADA compliant?

Christ man just get a F-ing barge with a knuckle boom/crane...... o
ya, I forgot no men are on your boat.

Why do you want to add all that crap on your mast... unless you
already have all that crap on you mast??? Never mind.

Robert Whitworth Rexroth

Skippy has a huge problems with priorities. Not only that, but he's rather
the rule than the exception with regards to this. Most of today's so-called
sailors are just like him.

I've got some bad news for you. Look at anything in this world. If it's
popular, it almost certainly contains a large grain of truth.

The poor man has never learned and apparently will never learn the First
Rule of Sailboats which is "First, she's a sailboat". Consequently, he
affects unseamanlike modification after unseamanlike addition after
unseamanlike cluttering in lieu of making sure that, first and foremost, his
sailboat does most efficiently what it was built to do - sail.

Translation: Skip is often looking for innovative new ways to make his
cruising/sailing experience better. He hits and misses. They key is to
recognize the misses and eliminate them.

And, he has no eye for aesthetics, either. The uglier, more cluttered and
Rube Goldberged he can make his boat look the happier it seems to make him.
One of these days in the not to distant future he will be seen
diesel-smoking and lurching, banging, clanging, whistling and whooshing his
two-foot-down-on-the-waterline way into an anchorage replete with kitchen
sinks at the masthead.

Translation: His innovations may not be pleasing to the conventional
eye. My reply: True innovation almost never is.

Skippy and his ilk (pretenders) are not sailors. Rather, they are Gypsies
with floating Gypsy wagons. The most often heard phrase when they arrive is,
"There goes the neighborhood!"

Translation: The world moves on to better things. Many are left behind.

Stephen

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:48:04 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Wilbur Hubbard

And this is presented by the individual who recently regaled us with
his many and varied reasons for buying his new motor for his
"sailboat".

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

ISO Pace-Edwards Mast Steps

Several places where this has appeared have generated offers of looking in
salvage stores, but have no idea of what they look like, making a quickie
look around a bit challenging.

So, I have put up pix of my single step for perusal. You can find them by
clicking on my gallery in my signature, and then the obvious link into the
section dealing with this need.

You'll note, as commented in my original, that these are considerably larger
than the typical. There's a 2"+ rise before the diagonal part, almost 9" of
interior height, nearly 6" of footplate length (accommodating my wide feet)
and a full (I forgot to measure for the camera, sorry) 2" footplate depth.

Giveaways (if the preceding aren't enough) are the "Pace-Edwards" and "Made
in USA" stamped in the footplate area, plus the extrusion which has the
footplate grooves going the entire length of the fixture and, on the reverse
(outside), a sine-wave reinforcement, as seen in the pix, particularly the
end-on shot.

So, I just need one, but might take 20, if you found a source for it. As
before, writing directly to me is best to communicate
with me in such event.

Thanks!

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
ISO Pace-Edwards Mast Steps

So, Sasquatch, here.

My feet are way bigger than would be comfortable on the usual mast step.
One which is ideal, but no longer made, is Pace-Edwards. I first started
this search about 4 years ago, and having seen someone else' boat with
them has prompted me to take keyboard in hand again.

Googling, finding, then calling and talking with the factory reveals that
they have not made them for many years (and this started 4 years ago!).
There seemed to be some interest in selling their tooling, so that someone
might address that niche market, but they've never followed up with me
despite many mails and calls.

Surely, someone/some joint, somewhere, has NOS, or perhaps, even, some
salvaged ones. I only need a single step, unless someone had about 20 of
them. That's Pace-Edwards, Made In USA, stamped on the foot area side
"wings
(what makes them more comfy; it's wider by far than the standard mast
step).

What makes these so good (for me) is a very large foot enclosure and base,
and rounded sides, kinder on the hands and feet when banged against or
pulled on as you go from one to the next. None I've seen of what's
available
currently meet those standards.

In the long shot that someone knows of a potential source for these, or
ones
meeting the same standards (footrest area 2x5.5 [footrest] x9 [height from
footrest to top]" inside measure, anodized aluminum or better), I'd very
much like to know about it. We want to get mast steps, but not something
which will be uncomfortable to climb or stand on for an extended period.

??

Thanks.

L8R

Skip, currently in the Bahamas, but will be stateside in April for a
wedding, and guests arriving before then...

[...]

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 16:33:59 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

ISO Pace-Edwards Mast Steps

Several places where this has appeared have generated offers of looking in
salvage stores, but have no idea of what they look like, making a quickie
look around a bit challenging.

So, I have put up pix of my single step for perusal. You can find them by
clicking on my gallery in my signature, and then the obvious link into the
section dealing with this need.

This is the photo link:

http://www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery/index.php?mode=album&album=Need+Pace-Edwards+Mast+Step&dispsize=640&web-folio=5d4a0208fd283c29ae58e2c3f8d53fd2

Seems like it would be easy enough to fabricate something like that
out of aluminum flat bar. Appearance isn't that big an issue at the
top of the mast, and neither is strength since you should be in a seat
harness or bosuns chair anyway.

Those things are sail rippers and halyard grabbers of course.

wrote:

[...]

Yes, they are a piece of ****. But, they will be right at home on Flying
Pig. Real sailors such as myself will be able to see from a long ways off an
example of how not to fit out a sailboat

Wilbur Hubbard

Cleaning and refinishing alum mast steps [email protected] Cruising 15 November 21st 08 04:52 AM
General Pace is Right Jeff ASA 25 March 16th 07 05:09 PM
ISO Pace-Edwards Mast steps Skip Gundlach Cruising 0 November 10th 06 02:46 AM
Source for aluminum non-folding mast steps [email protected] Cruising 1 April 5th 05 07:15 AM
mast steps - fastep? bruce General 0 January 23rd 04 03:24 AM