Default Cleaning and refinishing alum mast steps

I have a bunch of folding mast steps - the kind made from 2 cast alum
pieces. I took them off the mast before I repainted it with LP - now
I'd like to clean them up and put them back. They're uncoated alum so
have a white powdery dusty feel to them now. What to do with them ??
-----------------
-----------------

On 2008-11-20 00:03:29 -0500, Wayne.B said:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:03:43 -0700, wrote:

I have a bunch of folding mast steps - the kind made from 2 cast alum
pieces. I took them off the mast before I repainted it with LP - now
I'd like to clean them up and put them back. They're uncoated alum so
have a white powdery dusty feel to them now. What to do with them ??

Can you get them primed and painted with 2 part LP also ? If not you
could try spraying them with Boeshield T9 or Corrosion-X once in a
while.

http://www.amazon.com/tag/boeshield

http://www.corrosionx.com/

Another thought that looked interesting. Somewhere recently, I saw a
DIY powder-coating that might do the trick. Friends had their frame
done professionally and liked the results. What I recall of the process
reminds me of a fired ceramic finish: Very tough and thick.

--
Jere Lull

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 05:16:44 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Another thought that looked interesting. Somewhere recently, I saw a
DIY powder-coating that might do the trick. Friends had their frame
done professionally and liked the results. What I recall of the process
reminds me of a fired ceramic finish: Very tough and thick.

Do you have more information on the DIY powder-coating? I've got a
few things I'd like to try it on.

On 2008-11-20 00:03:29 -0500, Wayne.B
said:

[...]

Used this on patio furniture... amazing stuff. It's possible to chip it,
however.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 00:23:30 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 05:16:44 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Another thought that looked interesting. Somewhere recently, I saw a
DIY powder-coating that might do the trick. Friends had their frame
done professionally and liked the results. What I recall of the process
reminds me of a fired ceramic finish: Very tough and thick.

Do you have more information on the DIY powder-coating? I've got a
few things I'd like to try it on.

Try http://www.powdercoatingonline.com/h...dercorner.html for
basic information.

Apparently it is do-able in a standard oven but the devil is in the
preparation and applying the coating.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

wrote:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 05:16:44 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Another thought that looked interesting. Somewhere recently, I saw a
DIY powder-coating that might do the trick. Friends had their frame
done professionally and liked the results. What I recall of the process
reminds me of a fired ceramic finish: Very tough and thick.

Do you have more information on the DIY powder-coating? I've got a
few things I'd like to try it on.

Try http://www.powdercoatingonline.com/h...dercorner.html for
basic information.

Apparently it is do-able in a standard oven but the devil is in the
preparation and applying the coating.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I would think about it carefully before deciding to powder coat a mast.

Besides the simple logistics of an oven large enough, the issuese of
weight aloft and the coating chipping due to mast flex would be stoppers.

Best protection for aluminum is a two part primer followed by a topcoat.

I've always had good sucess with Randoplate or EpiBond for the prime
coat. Tehn paint as desired.

It's lighter, won't crack or chip, won't have little divits where the
coating didn't stick, and is most likely a LOT cheaper.

For what it's worth...

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

On 2008-11-20 00:23:30 -0500, Wayne.B said:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 05:16:44 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Another thought that looked interesting. Somewhere recently, I saw a
DIY powder-coating that might do the trick. Friends had their frame
done professionally and liked the results. What I recall of the process
reminds me of a fired ceramic finish: Very tough and thick.

Do you have more information on the DIY powder-coating? I've got a
few things I'd like to try it on.

Hope someone else saw it. As I recall, it was an ad from somewhere.

When I googled powder coat paint, the Northern Industrial in the link
below seemed to be similar to what I remember, and there were some
other interesting links. Sorry that it probably wraps 7 times....

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&in_dym=1&Nty=1&D=than&Ntx=m ode+matchallpartial&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=powder%20coat& cmnosearch=PPC&cm_ven=PPC&cm_cat=I-search%20(Google%20Adwords)&cm_pla=nt_misc&cm_ite= powdercoat

--

Jere Lull

On 2008-11-20 03:14:37 -0500, Bruce in Bangkok

wrote:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 05:16:44 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Another thought that looked interesting. Somewhere recently, I saw a
DIY powder-coating that might do the trick. Friends had their frame
done professionally and liked the results. What I recall of the process
reminds me of a fired ceramic finish: Very tough and thick.

Do you have more information on the DIY powder-coating? I've got a
few things I'd like to try it on.

Try http://www.powdercoatingonline.com/h...dercorner.html for
basic information.

Apparently it is do-able in a standard oven but the devil is in the
preparation and applying the coating.
Cheers,

The finishing devil is *always* in the details. I used to spray lacquer
and was twice as productive by spending 5-10% more time on preps.

--
Jere Lull