Default Do REAL sailors make Wi-Fi a primary concern?

"Bob" wrote in message
(Wilbur Said)
Weather the prime concern? lol Says, Skippy as he and his overloaded
boat
are cruising the Bahamas during hurricane season. Duh! If weather were
your
prime concern you'd be off cruising someplace and some time where there
were
no tropical cyclones in the offing.

You obviously chose to ignore my reply to Wilbur earlier in this thread:
********
As above, our connectedness allows us to be safe but still enjoy those
waters you raved so much about. We had a great sail yesterday, for example,
in nearly ideal conditions. Going outside through one of the cuts wouldn't
be advised, yet, for a couple more days, but, if we didn't have that
connectivity, we wouldn't know without having to go have an onsite view of
why we shouldn't.

Between SSB, my satellite receiver (real-time pix as NOAA's satellites go
over), the internet, and others, we have no concerns about tropical
disturbances. As always, we have our hurricane holes picked out, and, with
our connectivity, could be in place within the 5 day window, keep a careful
eye on developments, and take appropriate steps for securing Flying Pig as
needed. Those who run and hide geographically are simply wusses, or slaves
to insurance rules, or both.
+++++++

We are neither, just self-directed. I can't say that Wilbur doesn't qualify
for at least one, if he suggests we stay out of the "box"...

(Bob Said, about that)

Hummm I wonder what his insurance company says about that...........
oh, ya he aint got none cause even those blood suckers wont risk
betting on him.

Actually, not so. The same year as our wreck, submitting an app at the
Annapolis Boat show, we were quoted (a few weeks later) by the same company
we'd had all set up before we went coastal cruising (instead of proceeding
directly to the Bahamas following our rehab; they returned our check which
they'd been holding pending a departure from coastal coverage with
Allstate). Full disclosure on the new app. Same price, same coverage. We
chose to remain self-insured, though we're reconsidering liability only, as
we've had a very reasonable quote recently...

Y'all have fun with the thread; I'm going to bed with a good book.

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 18:00:22 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

As a result they compliment each
other's defeciencies in a mutualy dependent relationship with both
alternatly taking on the Parent/Child role (see 1970s Transactional
Analysis P-A-C)

Please remember that a truly capable woman wont chose a mate that is
anything less than a truly capable man.

Bob, I find it impressive that an unmarried guy like yourself has been
able to acquire all of this knowledge about women just by reading
about them. Very impressive.

Bob Bob is offline

As a result they compliment each
other's defeciencies in a mutualy dependent relationship with both
alternatly taking on the Parent/Child role (see 1970s Transactional
Analysis P-A-C)

Please remember that a truly capable woman wont chose a mate that is
anything less than a truly capable man.

Bob, I find it impressive that an unmarried guy like yourself has been
able to acquire all of this knowledge about women just by reading
about them. * *Very impressive.

Thank you.....
Heck Ive also learned quit a bit about sailing here as well.
BOb

"Bob" wrote in message
Willlllburrrr !

And, you don't understand the absurdity of your methods? You don't see
how
what you do is a *******ization of cruising and voyaging? You need to
examine what your goals are and write them down in order of priorities.
If
your main goals involve 'keeping in touch' then you're in the wrong place
doing the wrong thing.

A hearty agreement !

Good man!

Weather the prime concern? lol Says, Skippy as he and his overloaded
boat
are cruising the Bahamas during hurricane season. Duh! If weather were
your
prime concern you'd be off cruising someplace and some time where there
were
no tropical cyclones in the offing.

Hummm I wonder what his insurance company says about that...........
oh, ya he aint got none cause even those blood suckers wont risk
betting on him.

Until he starts to get his priorities straight I wouldn't take the bet
either.

And, I am entirely correct to rant about 'certain' women voyaging under
sail. In the history of mankind there have been perhaps fewer than a 100
women who voyaged under sail and who were not a detriment to the
enterprise.

Be carful here Wilbur. Last week I was walking the commercial fish
docks and met a hot 28 yo.5'10 and built like a sleek well muscled
mongose. SHe owned a squared away 42' wood troller and was fishin
tuna. She had a crew of two other 20s women. She said she bought the
boat from her dad who fished it in alsaka and had been fisihg tuna/
salmon/crab for the last 8 years. I asked here where she fished. Her
reply: Alaska to northern cali and out to 150 miles.

She was one very cool skipper and rather pleasant conversationalist.

And, undoubtedly a lesbian. Face it, no real woman would do what she's
doing.

There are extreamly qualified and emotionally capable women....... its
just that most the marina dogs around here just cant hunt.

As a general rule, any woman who lives the sailing life, lives aboard her
own sailing vessel and sails the oceans of the world has something wrong
with her. Women simply aren't cut out for, nor are they capable of
establishing and maintaining a sea going life for extended periods of time.
They are genetically programmed to build a nice secure nest ashore where
they can bring forth children even if they have to be ******* children
because no man will commit to marriage with a woman who aspires to be a man.

To keep folks from calling me a mysoginist, let me say something similar
about a man. As a general rule, any man who lives the life of a nursemaid
has something wrong with him. Such a man would be genetically programmed to
be a woman - not a man.

Consider this, the only
reason I bother with you at all is I think you two are one of the few
couples these days who might actually enjoy cruising like it was meant to
be
if only you could honestly examine your priorities and commit to those
which
are really the most important in your lives.
Wilbur Hubbard

That will never happen WIlbur for neither are honest and both are
atempting to controll the other. As a result they compliment each
other's defeciencies in a mutualy dependent relationship with both
alternatly taking on the Parent/Child role (see 1970s Transactional
Analysis P-A-C)

Please remember that a truly capable woman wont chose a mate that is
anything less than a truly capable man.

You make an excellent point. A true woman mates with a man who maximizes her
chances of child-bearing and the successful nurturing of said progeny in
relative safety and security. But, this doesn't apply to Lydia and Skippy as
she's well beyond the reproductive age. I think she even has grown-up
grandchildren. But, even so, there is a defect in any woman who doesn't nest
up whether or not she can still lay eggs.

Wilbur Hubbard

In article , Bob wrote:
Willlllburrrr !

Yawn.

Those who are 'living the dream' for the most part are most likely too
busy with life to be posting here. To most of them, posting and reading
here is probably too trivial to bother with. That Skip and Lydia are
taking time out of their days to share their experiences is great for
us, it gives those of us who hope to follow in their footsteps a
reminder of what it is that we want to be doing; a dangling carrot. The
rest of the cruisers are perhaps keeping quiet in the hope that we don't
all get out there and join them - keep those anchorages quiet!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

"Justin C" wrote in message
In article
, Bob
wrote:
Willlllburrrr !

Yawn.

Those who are 'living the dream' for the most part are most likely too
busy with life to be posting here. To most of them, posting and reading
here is probably too trivial to bother with. That Skip and Lydia are
taking time out of their days to share their experiences is great for
us, it gives those of us who hope to follow in their footsteps a
reminder of what it is that we want to be doing; a dangling carrot. The
rest of the cruisers are perhaps keeping quiet in the hope that we don't
all get out there and join them - keep those anchorages quiet!

Uh, Justin, by your very own admission you are following pretenders who
aren't living the dream because living the dream involves other than
Internet connectivity and posting to newsgroups. If you follow in Skippy's
footsteps you will never be a real sailor. I suggest you find a couple of
real sailors to look up to. You are being led astray by wanabee's.

You are correct about one thing, though. Quiet is of great value to us real
sailors. That's why we find so offensive and unacceptable overloaded
sailboats with Honda generators on deck grinding away at all hours of the
day and night, noisy, ill-conceived wind generators whooshing, whirring and
whistling at all hours of the day and night, stinky auxiliaries running four
hours a day to keep up with refrigeration, halyards banging and pinging
unsecured on masts, dogs barking, stereos blaring, loud drunken shouting and
laughing late at night and even inboard, diesel generators running 24/7 to
air condition the accommodation while anchored. Why don't assholes like this
stay tied up at marinas where they can plug in and not bother everybody.

These same inconsiderate people who spend tens of thousands of dollars on
electricity and the systems to produce an abundance of it can't seem to
scrape up enough money to buy a real anchor so they toss out their lone
ten-pound aluminum Fortress anchor and proceed to drag around the anchorage.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

Uh, Justin, by your very own admission you are following pretenders who
aren't living the dream because living the dream involves other than
Internet connectivity and posting to newsgroups. If you follow in Skippy's
footsteps you will never be a real sailor. I suggest you find a couple of
real sailors to look up to. You are being led astray by wanabee's.

They are following their dream, Wilbur.
Not yours.

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

Uh, Justin, by your very own admission you are following pretenders who
aren't living the dream because living the dream involves other than
Internet connectivity and posting to newsgroups. If you follow in
Skippy's footsteps you will never be a real sailor. I suggest you find a
couple of real sailors to look up to. You are being led astray by
wanabee's.

They are following their dream, Wilbur.
Not yours.

Sorry, but no individual has a right to follow a dream when the following of
it results in a nightmare for everybody else in an anchorage.

Sailors used to be a polite, decent, honorable, competent, considerate and
quiet lot. Now, it's got so the majority are not sailors at all. "Boaters"
is the closest description of them and these boaters are impolite, indecent,
dishonorable, incompetent, inconsiderate and rudely noisy -like so many
spoiled-brat children who never grew up and who still think their ****
doesn't stink.

This sad state of affairs needs to be brought to light every time the
subject arises as this trend must be reversed before people start shooting
each other.

Wilbur Hubbard

In article , CaveLamb wrote:
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

Uh, Justin, by your very own admission you are following pretenders who
aren't living the dream because living the dream involves other than
Internet connectivity and posting to newsgroups. If you follow in Skippy's
footsteps you will never be a real sailor. I suggest you find a couple of
real sailors to look up to. You are being led astray by wanabee's.

They are following their dream, Wilbur.
Not yours.

I didn't see Wilbur's post, he's in my kill-file.

Wilbur is mistaken if he thinks I'm looking up to Skip. What I said is
that Skip is reminding us what it is we want to be doing. Sailors I look
up to are Sir Robin Knox-Johnson (he is taller than me), Dame Ellen
MacArthur (metaphorically because she's very short), and Jester
Challenge entrants, among others.

I don't mean to diminish what Skip is doing, I just don't think that
what he's doing makes him role-model material, just like I won't be when
I'm cruising. It's nothing exceptional, having done the exceptional may
make someone rold-model material.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 13:50:45 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

[...]

Willie boy, lets face facts.

The word "Sailor" has, historically been, with very few exceptions,
applied to the generally unskilled portion of the crew of a vessels,
i.e., the poorly educated, poorly skilled, and generally low class
group who's main interest in life was the absorption of strong drink
and pursuit of loose women. The non-professional portion of the a crew
as in the British terminology "the Officers and the People", or the
"the Officers and the Crew"; "the Officers and the Sailors".

Gentlemen boaters, on the other hand, were and are, referred to as
"Yachtsmen" and this applied to gentlemen who owned and sailed on
yachts, and to be frank were/are a group about which you obviously
know nothing at all. After all,THEY are gentlemen.

For you to allude to this group as somehow being a group who embody
certain attributes which, and by inference include yourself as a
member, is simply ludicrous. Your little yellow boat (with purple
interior) is hardly the type of vessel that would be described as a
"Yacht" by any real Yachtsmen. As J.P. Morgan once said when asked
about the running costs of his Yacht, "if you have to ask, you can't
afford it". And you can't afford it.

To a real Yachtsman, you would be refereed to as a "Boat Boy", or
perhaps "Bum Boy" if you are describing life in the forecastle as seen
by an individual who is not attracted to women.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Why liberals make bad sailors Popeye[_3_] Cruising 5 July 4th 08 04:06 AM
Where's the Real Sailors Here? Bluto ASA 6 March 27th 06 11:16 PM
The only real sailors Poppa Pimple ASA 4 November 26th 03 03:29 AM
For real sailors GAZ General 5 August 26th 03 07:29 PM
Real Sailors Only need Apply!!! Bobsprit ASA 66 August 7th 03 02:56 AM