Default Whale strikes

On Sat, 15 May 2010 19:25:04 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 15 May 2010 17:52:37 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 15 May 2010 10:22:44 -0800, You wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Fri, 14 May 2010 21:06:27 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

"WaIIy" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 13 May 2010 18:31:15 -0700 (PDT), Bil wrote:

A good database of whale/sailboat strikes might lead to mitigation
specific to cruisers. At the moment, we don't know whether - for
example - sailing with a sonar depth sounder operating avoids whale/
sailboat strikes. That's why a database with details of where/when/
under what conditions would be valuable.

Really, how stupid does a whale have to be in order to "bump into" a
boat?

Think about it.

People walk in front of moving cars, OD on drugs, have unprotected sex, use
tobacco, etc, etc ,etc.......we are the most self destructive species.

How stupid does a ship manned by many people and all the latest
electronics, have to be, to run into a whale?

Most Commercial Shipping Vessels do carry any type of electronic
equipment that could, or would, show a whale in near vicinity of a ship.
At most they carry a Depth Sounder, which on the High Seas, is likely
turned OFF, and only used when entering, or leaving Port. AsK "Me" How I
know... I did SOLAS Inspections on 300 GTon and up Vessels for a couple
of Decades. Duh.....

Not the point.

Perhaps you are being a tad too abstruse for us, the unenlightened.

Dogs do that sometimes but I see it more often in cats.

I've seen quite a few whales, in quite a few different circumstances,
and frankly I have no idea whether they are intelligent or not. Some
are quite obviously capable of being trained.

I've seen some in the wild that clearly looked like they were playing
to the audience, and I've seen others that seemed totally oblivious to
the presence of man or boat.

It is likely that Sperm whales are capable of emotion, at least.
Witness the account of the sinking of the ESSEX; and Killer Whales
certainly are intelligent enough to be trained.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

On Sun, 16 May 2010 07:59:26 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

After all, porpoise seem to be attracted to small boats and frequently
seem to play in he wake or dive under the boat.

We see that all the time, most recently yesterday at the SW corner of
Puerto Rico. We had two big ones playing in the bow wave for several
minutes, sometimes jumping at right angles to each other in front of
the boat. They are very fast and agile, never getting hit as far as I
know.
hk hk is offline

wrote:

After all, porpoise seem to be attracted to small boats and frequently
seem to play in he wake or dive under the boat.

We see that all the time, most recently yesterday at the SW corner of
Puerto Rico. We had two big ones playing in the bow wave for several
minutes, sometimes jumping at right angles to each other in front of
the boat. They are very fast and agile, never getting hit as far as I
know.

Gosh. Porpoises playing around a boat. Did you take photos?

--
The Tea Party's teabaggers are just the Republican base by another name.

wrote:

After all, porpoise seem to be attracted to small boats and frequently
seem to play in he wake or dive under the boat.

We see that all the time, most recently yesterday at the SW corner of
Puerto Rico. We had two big ones playing in the bow wave for several
minutes, sometimes jumping at right angles to each other in front of
the boat. They are very fast and agile, never getting hit as far as I
know.

Funny, Everyone bitches about jet skiers "wake jumping" but admires
the porpoise playing in the bow wave :-)

wrote:

After all, porpoise seem to be attracted to small boats and frequently
seem to play in he wake or dive under the boat.

We see that all the time, most recently yesterday at the SW corner of
Puerto Rico. We had two big ones playing in the bow wave for several
minutes, sometimes jumping at right angles to each other in front of
the boat. They are very fast and agile, never getting hit as far as I
know.

Funny, Everyone bitches about jet skiers "wake jumping" but admires
the porpoise playing in the bow wave :-)
Cheers,

And I am guessing that you cannot see or tell the difference?

Bruce
(bruce,suckingthecockatgmaildotcom)

wrote:

After all, porpoise seem to be attracted to small boats and frequently
seem to play in he wake or dive under the boat.

We see that all the time, most recently yesterday at the SW corner of
Puerto Rico. We had two big ones playing in the bow wave for several
minutes, sometimes jumping at right angles to each other in front of
the boat. They are very fast and agile, never getting hit as far as I
know.

Funny, Everyone bitches about jet skiers "wake jumping" but admires
the porpoise playing in the bow wave :-)
Cheers,

Have you ever been in an anchorage with a bunch of crazed jet skiiers
swarming around like mosquitos on steroids?

I'd also maintain that porpoises are smarter than jet skiiers since
they never seem to get hit or run into each other.

Rude Right strikes again... jps General 9 October 12th 09 12:07 AM
Gayanzy Strikes Again Capt. Rob ASA 11 October 28th 06 05:48 PM
The Onion strikes again *JimH* General 4 September 23rd 05 01:49 AM
Red Cross strikes again *JimH* General 11 September 7th 05 06:23 AM