Default A Corpus Daysail Observation.

I went out in my son's Hunter 25 on Saturday.
We sailed down the Intra-coastal from Padre Island.
Her cautioned me that the dredge did not stray far
from the channel day marks which are cans & nuns.

He wasn't kidding: at one point I saw a pelican
standing on the water (as it seemed)
His feet were hardly submerged and he was standing
about 5 yards outside the channel!

Brian W
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 13, 9:26*pm, brian whatcott wrote:
I went out in my son's Hunter 25 on Saturday.
We sailed down the Intra-coastal from Padre Island.
Her cautioned me that the dredge did not stray far
from the channel day marks which are *cans & nuns.

He wasn't kidding: at one point I saw a pelican
standing on the water (as it seemed)
His feet were hardly submerged and he was standing
about 5 yards outside the channel!

Brian W

Corpus is a great sailing area for kite surfers and wind surfers.
The Pelican was standing on prime Redfish and speckled trout fishing
grounds BTW.

If you want to sail Corpus you need a fast planing board boat like a
LaBrisa.

http://thumb6.webshots.net/t/30/30/5...6DdkPsY_th.jpg

or a Flying Scott ect and learn where the good oyster reefs are.
Great strong and steady winds. If you have a deep draft boat head
offshore, nice clear water around 10 miles out, and it gets deep fast
to the SW. Head to S. Padre island and do some beach coming. No auto
access!

Joe

Joe wrote:
On Apr 13, 9:26 pm, brian whatcott wrote:
I went out in my son's Hunter 25 on Saturday.

/snip/

Head to S. Padre island and do some beach coming. No auto
access!

Joe

My kid mentioned he drove his 4X4 down Padre Island.

But there's enough water in front of South Padre he couldn't cross.
And the road route is way inland, and way south from Corpus to S Padre,
he reckons. Thanks for the fishing tips!

Brian W

Default Bullet Proof Welding Stainless at Corpus (was A Corpus Daysail...)

Joe wrote:
[bw]
I went out in my son's Hunter 25 on Saturday.

/snip/

Head to S. Padre island and do some beach combing. No auto
access!

Joe

My kid mentioned he drove his 4X4 down Padre Island.
But there's enough water in front of South Padre he couldn't cross.
And the road route is way inland, and way south from Corpus to S Padre,
he reckons. Thanks for the fishing tips!

Brian W

Bad form to respond to my own post, I know. But I forgot to mention a
very,very valuable facility at Corpus Christi.
Richard, my son, had the stainless pulpit off the boat to fix it up
after a guest had not quite held it off well enough at a landing jetty.

We straightened out as best we could, with the tools at hand, but on
Sunday last, there were two or three tears around the fixing bolt hole
that needed stitching up.
So Richard sent a Welder search word to Google via his cell phone
(which will return the local phone book entries, as he showed me.)
The FIRST number returned was for "Bullet-Proof Welding", so he called
the number expecting at best to leave a voice mail.
The welder invited us to come by at noon that day - Sunday - after
he had finished some fancy barbecue grilles. He had TIG, MIG and stick,
and was competent at Stainless, aluminum and (though there's no call for
it he said) titanium - from his prior aerospace experience.

His work was excellent, and his charges moderate, and he did it on a
Sunday. Amazing! He remembered going for a ride on a pedal bike
tour as a kid, and getting his bike bent up within ten miles.
When he pushed his bike into town - again on Sunday, he found a Schwinn
bike shop open (for stocktaking or some such) and getting his bike fixed
up for a token price.
Seemed like "Paying Forward." to us.

Brian W

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 13:08:12 -0500, brian whatcott
wrote:

Joe wrote:
[bw]
[...]

Good business practice I'd say, particularly if dealing with "boat
people" who come out on weekends :-)

Way back when, I used to do some welding work and I used to specialize
in nights and weekend - little one man equipment companies would pay a
premium to get the work done "after work" so they didn't lose any
billable hours.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce wrote:
/snip/
Way back when, I used to do some welding work and I used to specialize
in nights and weekend - little one man equipment companies would pay a
premium to get the work done "after work" so they didn't lose any
billable hours.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Makes sense to me!

Brian W

Visiting Florida - Like a Daysail Thank You ASA 2 March 20th 05 12:16 PM
VISITING FL.,like a daysail Thank You ASA 1 March 7th 05 12:58 AM
Corpus Christi TX [email protected] General 0 September 22nd 04 11:01 PM
Daysail / nightsail Scott Vernon ASA 27 August 20th 04 10:40 PM
Westsail 32, looking to crew, daysail SF bay [email protected] Cruising 2 September 17th 03 12:26 AM