Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default Bullet Proof Welding Stainless at Corpus (was A Corpus Daysail...)

Joe wrote:
[bw]
I went out in my son's Hunter 25 on Saturday.

/snip/

Head to S. Padre island and do some beach combing. No auto
access!

Joe

My kid mentioned he drove his 4X4 down Padre Island.
But there's enough water in front of South Padre he couldn't cross.
And the road route is way inland, and way south from Corpus to S Padre,
he reckons. Thanks for the fishing tips!

Brian W

Bad form to respond to my own post, I know. But I forgot to mention a
very,very valuable facility at Corpus Christi.
Richard, my son, had the stainless pulpit off the boat to fix it up
after a guest had not quite held it off well enough at a landing jetty.

We straightened out as best we could, with the tools at hand, but on
Sunday last, there were two or three tears around the fixing bolt hole
that needed stitching up.
So Richard sent a Welder search word to Google via his cell phone
(which will return the local phone book entries, as he showed me.)
The FIRST number returned was for "Bullet-Proof Welding", so he called
the number expecting at best to leave a voice mail.
The welder invited us to come by at noon that day - Sunday - after
he had finished some fancy barbecue grilles. He had TIG, MIG and stick,
and was competent at Stainless, aluminum and (though there's no call for
it he said) titanium - from his prior aerospace experience.

His work was excellent, and his charges moderate, and he did it on a
Sunday. Amazing! He remembered going for a ride on a pedal bike
tour as a kid, and getting his bike bent up within ten miles.
When he pushed his bike into town - again on Sunday, he found a Schwinn
bike shop open (for stocktaking or some such) and getting his bike fixed
up for a token price.
Seemed like "Paying Forward." to us.

Brian W