posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Leave her (My boat) in the Bahamas?

My attention span for cruising is seriously short and I love my work
so I never want to spend more than a couple of weeks aboard my boat
but I do want to take advantage of having her in the Bahamas. Being a
well built 28' S-2 and having a 3'10" draft, she seems ideal for the
shallow Bahamas, a perfect cruiser for someone who does not mind sorta
spartan conditions.
So, is leaving her in the bahamas over hurricane season a
possibility? I'd prefer to have her hauled and put on stands because
then I'd worry less until I got back in late November. Insurance is
not an issue because she is very old and long ago paid for and so I
only have liability insurance. If she gets
destroyed..............well, I'd be sad but also would have an excuse
to build another boat.
Feasible?
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
hk hk is offline

On 4/7/10 11:38 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
My attention span for cruising is seriously short and I love my work
so I never want to spend more than a couple of weeks aboard my boat
but I do want to take advantage of having her in the Bahamas. Being a
well built 28' S-2 and having a 3'10" draft, she seems ideal for the
shallow Bahamas, a perfect cruiser for someone who does not mind sorta
spartan conditions.
So, is leaving her in the bahamas over hurricane season a
possibility? I'd prefer to have her hauled and put on stands because
then I'd worry less until I got back in late November. Insurance is
not an issue because she is very old and long ago paid for and so I
only have liability insurance. If she gets
destroyed..............well, I'd be sad but also would have an excuse
to build another boat.
Feasible?

Sounds like a great way to dump your derelict in someone else's
backyard, as it were.

--
http://tinyurl.com/ykxp2ym
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 20:38:08 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

My attention span for cruising is seriously short and I love my work
so I never want to spend more than a couple of weeks aboard my boat
but I do want to take advantage of having her in the Bahamas. Being a
well built 28' S-2 and having a 3'10" draft, she seems ideal for the
shallow Bahamas, a perfect cruiser for someone who does not mind sorta
spartan conditions.
So, is leaving her in the bahamas over hurricane season a
possibility? I'd prefer to have her hauled and put on stands because
then I'd worry less until I got back in late November. Insurance is
not an issue because she is very old and long ago paid for and so I
only have liability insurance. If she gets
destroyed..............well, I'd be sad but also would have an excuse
to build another boat.
Feasible?

You won't have any trouble finding on land storage facilities. I know
of at least one yard on Green Turtle Cay for example, and am
reasonably certain that there is one in Marsh Harbour on the south
side. Marsh Harbour makes a nice base of operations because there are
good provisioning opportunities there, a close by airport, and many
taxis. The taxis monitor VHF channel 16 so a handheld VHF is very
useful.

On Apr 8, 6:43*am, hk wrote:
[...]

At least he doesn't have to make up lies about his adventures, like
you rounding the horn solo, twice.

On 4/8/10 9:29 AM, Loogypicker wrote:
On Apr 8, 6:43 am, wrote:
[...]

Say what? Are you back on LSD?

--
http://tinyurl.com/ykxp2ym

On Apr 8, 6:43 am, *wrote:
[...]

--http://tinyurl.com/ykxp2ym- Hide quoted text -

oooh, have you forgotten that particular lie, Harry?

On 4/7/2010 9:38 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
My attention span for cruising is seriously short and I love my work
so I never want to spend more than a couple of weeks aboard my boat
but I do want to take advantage of having her in the Bahamas. Being a
well built 28' S-2 and having a 3'10" draft, she seems ideal for the
shallow Bahamas, a perfect cruiser for someone who does not mind sorta
spartan conditions.
So, is leaving her in the bahamas over hurricane season a
possibility? I'd prefer to have her hauled and put on stands because
then I'd worry less until I got back in late November. Insurance is
not an issue because she is very old and long ago paid for and so I
only have liability insurance. If she gets
destroyed..............well, I'd be sad but also would have an excuse
to build another boat.
Feasible?

Leave on the hard; not in the water.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 13:04:08 -0600, slide
wrote:

So, is leaving her in the bahamas over hurricane season a
possibility? I'd prefer to have her hauled and put on stands because
then I'd worry less until I got back in late November. Insurance is
not an issue because she is very old and long ago paid for and so I
only have liability insurance. If she gets
destroyed..............well, I'd be sad but also would have an excuse
to build another boat.
Feasible?

Leave on the hard; not in the water.

Yes, and with lots of tie down straps to screw anchors.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

There are good yards in Green Turtle, Marsh Harbour, perhaps Hope Town and
one of the other near Marsh Harbour which I forget.

No knowledge of any other than a friend with a big cat using one in the
smaller outside islands near MH being very satisfied with them.

L8R

Skip and crew, back on line (had been winlink for a month or so)

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)