Default Steve Fossett - Remembering

Saw the new Boeing take off for its test run, and Steve Fossett came
to mind. Maybe because they mentioned that Rutan used the Boeing
lightweight materials for his non-stop round-the-world flight.
Anyway, I was reading about him and saw he set the trans-Atlantic
sailing record in 2001, averaging 26 kts.
Since then the French have taken over most the long distance speed
records, but Fossett still has many spots on this record list.
http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/inde...=74&It emid=6
We lost a great American sailor when Fossett died, though I always
remember him for his balloon feats. Guess they got more publicity,
and I wasn't paying much attention to sailing.
This really amazes me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBcDXns1W28
Average of 33 kts across the Atlantic.
Top speed 47 knots.
I crossed the Atlantic multiple times on my Navy can - top speed 27
knots, without oversize burner tips, which we never used.
Even then 31 would have been tops. But we normally cruised at 15-20.
I imagine being on the fantail deck and seeing this tri effortlessly
blowing by us in the middle of the Atlantic, moved by the wind alone,
while our turbines screamed as we burned barrels of oil a minute
producing 70k HP.
Bet that would have ****ed off the skipper.
No. On second thought, he would have enjoyed it immensely.
What sailor could do anything but?
I've more than once heard cruisers bitching about French sailors.
Is that because they're the best, or is it the BO?

--Vic

I've more than once heard cruisers bitching about French sailors.
Is that because they're the best, or is it the BO?

Or how to ruin an otherwise rather good post on the last line.....

--
http://francois.lonchamp.free.fr
Un doigt de linguistique ... et un soupçon de voile

Un site ami : http://www.benescribere.com
Agence lorraine de services linguistiques : Correction, Rédaction,
Traduction - Coaching en orthographe et en expression écrite

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 00:26:07 +0100, François Lonchamp
wrote:

I've more than once heard cruisers bitching about French sailors.
Is that because they're the best, or is it the BO?

Or how to ruin an otherwise rather good post on the last line.....

Sacrebleu!
Hey, if you're called the best sailors, BO is nothing.
Wouldn't bother me. But then I have Polish in-laws.

--Vic

wrote:

I've more than once heard cruisers bitching about French sailors.
Is that because they're the best, or is it the BO?

Or how to ruin an otherwise rather good post on the last line.....

Sacrebleu!
Hey, if you're called the best sailors, BO is nothing.
Wouldn't bother me. But then I have Polish in-laws.

Took 'or' to be the disjunctive / exclusise 'or'...
I wouldn't have objected to 'garlic' though. Dubious about cabbage plus
home-brewed potato slivovitz...;-)

wrote:

I've more than once heard cruisers bitching about French sailors.
Is that because they're the best, or is it the BO?

Or how to ruin an otherwise rather good post on the last line.....

Sacrebleu!
Hey, if you're called the best sailors, BO is nothing.
Wouldn't bother me. But then I have Polish in-laws.

Took 'or' to be the disjunctive / exclusise 'or'...
I wouldn't have objected to 'garlic' though. Dubious about cabbage plus
home-brewed potato slivovitz...;-)

Ah slivovitz, the weekend tipple of the Belgrade crowd when we last
visited ... [ALL weekend, EVERY weekend]

Brian W

mmc mmc is offline

wrote:

I've more than once heard cruisers bitching about French sailors.
Is that because they're the best, or is it the BO?

Or how to ruin an otherwise rather good post on the last line.....

Sacrebleu!
Hey, if you're called the best sailors, BO is nothing.
Wouldn't bother me. But then I have Polish in-laws.

Took 'or' to be the disjunctive / exclusise 'or'...
I wouldn't have objected to 'garlic' though. Dubious about cabbage plus
home-brewed potato slivovitz...;-)

Ah slivovitz, the weekend tipple of the Belgrade crowd when we last
visited ... [ALL weekend, EVERY weekend]

Brian W

It can also clean the hell out of a dirty windshield and serve as rocket
fuel in case a guy runs short.

Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 15, 1:37*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
Saw the new Boeing take off for its test run, and Steve Fossett came
to mind. *Maybe because they mentioned that Rutan used the Boeing
lightweight materials for his non-stop round-the-world flight.

You witnessed history Vic, suppose to be the next big step in
Aviation. Boeing did well ...and I hear are selling many.

records, but Fossett still has many spots on this record list.http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/inde...ntent&view=art...
We lost a great American sailor when Fossett died, though I always
remember him for his balloon feats. *Guess they got more publicity,
and I wasn't paying much attention to sailing.

Mr Fosset was pushing the limits on every extreme, and his achivements
are trickling down to everyone. What better can a man do than help
everyone on earth and have a blast doing it?

He joines the ranks of Linberg, Earhart, Blake, Cousteau and other
fine pioneers that gave more than they took.

This really amazes me.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBcDXns1W28
Average of 33 kts across the Atlantic.
Top speed 47 knots.
I crossed the Atlantic multiple times on my Navy can - top speed 27
knots, without oversize burner tips, which we never used.
Even then 31 would have been tops. *But we normally cruised at 15-20.
I imagine being on the fantail deck and seeing this tri effortlessly
blowing by us in the middle of the Atlantic, moved by the wind alone,
while our turbines screamed as we burned barrels of oil a minute
producing 70k HP.

Pretty amazing stuff. Could you imagine what a sailor on the Nina,
Pinta, or Santa Maria would have thought of such a boat?

New tech sailing has some great potentials IMO.

Joe

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Not necessarily the best but they are very strong in the Vendee sort of
racing.
Cruisingwise however they do seem to be more adventurous than the average.
Do not forget that it was a French yachtsman who 'just happened to be
calling in' who first reported that the Argentinians had landed on South
Georgia claiming to be just salvaging scrap iron from the old whaling
installations.
This seemed to be the first anyone else knew about Argentina's territorial
expansion plans, just before Argentina also invaded the Falklands and
sparked off a war.
How many people just drop in unheralded to a place like South Georgia? Got
to hand it to that French cruising yachtsman..
However there is some truth about the stories about them. I anchored in the
Scilly Isles once and returned to find a French yachtsman foul of my anchor
despite the fact that we were the only to boats in a big wide bay. He
clearly assumed that because we were anchored there it must be the best spot
so he came as close as he could.
Another one that worried me was nearby at anchor but did not have enough
rode so had to use his jib sheets to make up the scope. He had a smallish
boat that under the French regulations was only certified to sail in near
coastal waters, but nevertheless had crossed the English Channel to get
where he was.
So there are many who do serious cruising and say little about it. That is
OK with me.