Default Uniden 525 VHF and general question

goofball_star_dot_etal wrote:

I can get by with a Hewlett Packard 8754A and Site Master S331D.

http://www.us.anritsu.com/products/S...QQSidZ595.aspx

I liked the FDR feature; that and TDR are features of avionics cable
troubleshooting of the FA18 f'rinstance...
Brian W

goofball_star_dot_etal wrote:
...after about a minute of continuous transmission I got faint,
though still very clear. Another station chimed into the conversation to
say they had the same result. *******The original boat is right next
to me,**** so
distance or atmospheric stuff was not a factor

Not a good test as his receiver will be grossly overloaded. Could be the
result frequency drift resulting in the IF of the receiver moving off
the linear part of the discriminator. Although I still favour the idea
that the listener fell asleep. I myself have reached a semi comatose
state reading your posts, many times..

How unkind! I laughed, naturally.

Brian W

On 15/12/2009 23:00, brian whatcott wrote:
goofball_star_dot_etal wrote:
...after about a minute of continuous transmission I got faint,
though still very clear. Another station chimed into the conversation to
say they had the same result. *******The original boat is right next
to me,**** so
distance or atmospheric stuff was not a factor

Not a good test as his receiver will be grossly overloaded. Could be
the result frequency drift resulting in the IF of the receiver moving
off the linear part of the discriminator. Although I still favour the
idea that the listener fell asleep. I myself have reached a semi
comatose state reading your posts, many times..

How unkind! I laughed, naturally.

Brian W

Just trying to be helpful, as usual.

On 15/12/2009 22:58, brian whatcott wrote:
goofball_star_dot_etal wrote:

I can get by with a Hewlett Packard 8754A and Site Master S331D.

http://www.us.anritsu.com/products/S...QQSidZ595.aspx

I liked the FDR feature; that and TDR are features of avionics cable
troubleshooting of the FA18 f'rinstance...
Brian W

This one is for peaceful purposes. It belongs to a UK atmospheric radar
facility.

In article ,
brian whatcott wrote:

Bruce in alaska wrote:

If your paying someone to look at you stuff, and he brings anything
aboard to check the VHF Antennas other than a Bird Wattmeter with the
appropriate Slugs, kick them off your boat as if they had Homeric Fever,
because they are Dufus's and will only cost you money. /snip/

If you Google "VHF", sure enough you find entries about Viral
Hemorrhagic Fevers (VHFs) like Ebola, Dengue and Marburg. :-)

Bird Wattmeters are a trusted article no doubt.
If you come up against a strangely absorptive coax, it might just stay
absorptive on the Bird, even with the load disconnected. That should
provide a clue.

Brian W

When in doubt about a coaxial cables integrity, a Good Radioman will
ALWAYS run the test at BOTH ends of the cable, with his Bird, and see
just exactly how much power is being used heating up the cable. SWR is
meaningless if the cable is soaking up the RF Power and selfheating....

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply

Bruce in alaska wrote:
/snip/
When in doubt about a coaxial cables integrity, a Good Radioman will
ALWAYS run the test at BOTH ends of the cable, with his Bird, and see
just exactly how much power is being used heating up the cable. SWR is
meaningless if the cable is soaking up the RF Power and selfheating....

There's a well-intended tip, Bruce!
And I probably shouldn't mention how you should perk up your self-image:
always being so slow in coming forward and saying a good word about
yourself, an' all? :-)

All the best

Brian W
Bob Bob is offline

On Dec 13, 6:53*am, "Flying Pig" wrote:
Hi, y'all,

My antenna feed for the current installation runs in our bilge,

WIth all your wrecks and rebuilds and refits why on earth do you have
wires in your bilge??????

and our
rudder post is currently in need of repacking, sending a constant stream of
water down the bilge/limberholes,

Uhhh have you given the nut a bit of a turn??????

Why did you let it get to that condition?????????? That **** just does
nt happen over night. uggg.

Thanks, y'all
Skip, in the Bahamas for another few days before a month ashore

Bob Bob is offline

On Dec 13, 10:44*am, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 09:53:52 -0500, "Flying Pig"

IMHO the only wiring of any kind that belongs in the bilge is the
circuit for the bilge pump. * Everything else will be much happier in
a dry location, especially if there are connectors involved. *

Excellent !

I am not a big fan of Uniden electronics, preferring ICOM and Standard
for VHF radios.

I asked the two 1600 grt Ocean Masters I work with. Each have 25 years
driving boats in the oilfield. Each supported your suggestions.

One liked Standard best cause their hand helds last as long and are
cheeper than ICOM

The ABs use Icom M88 hand held with a speaker/mic. They get absolutly
abused. Dropped on decks several times daily rained on, covered in
grout and chipped clean. I spray Lysol on the my radio everytime I go
on watch. 3 ABs ahve been useing four M88s for the last 9 months with
no problmes. Except the little clip on the mic to clip onto your
shirt. butwe modified that so it works great. If their base stations
are anything like the handhelds id say buy buy buy.
BOb
Bob Bob is offline

On Dec 14, 5:03*pm, Bruce in alaska wrote:
In article ,
*Vic Smith wrote:

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:39:49 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:23:42 -0500, wrote:

Boy, somebody sure feels threatened.

Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply- Hide quoted text -

It really doesnt matte how smart ya'll are You seem to froget the
obvious....
Skip is a mechanical idiot. There is no telling what FUBAR set up he
has.. Heck He probably didnt replace any of the wiring after he sunk
his boat. There was a concern that the radio want getting enough
amps.....

Who knows, he has 800 Ah of batterys and probably his battery wires
are probable nuthin but green dust inside that primary cover.

Do you really think a guy who has a rudder post that he cant set the
flow has a professionally wired VHF?

My advice.......... dont cast your pearls among swine.
bob

Default Rudders and Bilges (WAS) Uniden 525 VHF and general question

Hi, Bob, and list,

"Bob" wrote in message
On Dec 13, 6:53 am, "Flying Pig" wrote:
Hi, y'all,

My antenna feed for the current installation runs in our bilge,

WIth all your wrecks and rebuilds and refits why on earth do you have

wires in your bilge??????

Cuz that's how it gets where it needs to go. You didn't read the rest of
it, natch, cuz it didn't suit your bashing. Some folks think of bilge as
the very bottom of the boat. I didn't - if I'm incorrect, my bad. Tell me
what else to call it...

and our
rudder post is currently in need of repacking, sending a constant stream
of
water down the bilge/limberholes,

Uhhh have you given the nut a bit of a turn??????

Many times, over many instances.

Why did you let it get to that condition?????????? That **** just does

nt happen over night. uggg.

The problem is that the post itself is corroded/pitted. That not only lets
water through, but wears on the packing.

During the wreck, we expected to have to replace the rudder, but it was
pronounced sound by several knowledgeable folks. The next major haulout, we
may indeed have to do that, unless we can find a machine shop which can
build it up and turn it back down to the proper size. Until that time, we
just have to live with it. It's time for a repack, anyway, as it's right at
3 years since I did it. Not a biggie - but the very best circumstances
still has it leaking slightly.

And, to another of your posts, we didn't sink - pretty hard to sink on a
shelf that's dry at MLW :{))

The only things which got wet were about a hundred rolls of toilet paper and
a seal-a-meal, as they were on the side on which she lay (see wreck pix in
the gallery for a better idea). No floorboards, and very little of anything
else got wet.

She towed home on her own bottom, with her own rudder (albiet a bit sticky
to starboard, due to the separated skin), and her own bilge pumps easily
kept up with the only flow, from around the core of a transducer who's
plastic mushroom had been popped off in the pounding. If it had happened to
have been bronze, we'd have had NO water in the boat...

Nice try on the slam, though :{))

About to climb on a plane tomorrow at ohdarkthirty, and all but the
injectors are removed and ready to pack. Off to defrost the freezer...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

A general question [email protected] General 21 September 4th 08 08:05 PM
A general question [email protected] General 0 September 4th 08 12:32 AM
Uniden `Santana' VHF-Marine Question Cruising 7 June 11th 06 03:42 PM
vhf uniden um825 Al Electronics 0 May 16th 05 07:15 PM
Uniden VHF Bobsprit ASA 4 May 29th 04 05:13 PM