Default Uniden 525 VHF and general question

On 14/12/2009 15:28, wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:15:48 +0000, goofball_star_dot_etal
wrote:

On 14/12/2009 11:00,
wrote:
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 23:48:25 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 15:14:31 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

I'll try to find someone with a SWR meter here tomorrow morning before we
head out to our anchorage prior to going into the dock where we'll be
leaving Flying Pig, and give it a whirl.

One of the quirks of waterlogged coax is that it can exhibit a perfect
1:1 SWR ratio while transmitting little or no power because the signal
loss is so high that nothing gets reflected back to the SWR meter.

I also have the little cable and the mast-top antenna which proved the cable
at fault in the original explorations; it will be easy for me to get a boat
buddy to listen while I read some story or something on a remote channel and
see if that cured it. That shortie, BTW, is LMR400, so should be fine for
the test. I don't expect it's got much in the way of SWR issues :{))

OK

As to sagging power, with an 880AH bank, I doubt that's a problem,

Agreed but you could have a bad connection which is heating up under
load.

Accurate SWR measurements also require clear dry conditions. An
overcast day will affect the readings.

Probably a Ham's old wives' tale. Your average VSWR meter is not very
accurate, although still quite useful. This leads to all sorts of BS.
The device I use cost more than my boat..

Nope, not an old wives tale at all.

Do you have a rational explanation then?

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:35:08 +0000, goofball_star_dot_etal
wrote:

Accurate SWR measurements also require clear dry conditions. An
overcast day will affect the readings.

Probably a Ham's old wives' tale. Your average VSWR meter is not very
accurate, although still quite useful. This leads to all sorts of BS.
The device I use cost more than my boat..

Nope, not an old wives tale at all.

Do you have a rational explanation then?

I think the dog is peeing on the fire hydrant in an attempt at humor.

If not he's barking up the wrong tree.

I think you mean "****ing into the wind"

On 14/12/2009 15:28, wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:15:48 +0000, goofball_star_dot_etal
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Work out the _magnitude_ of the change in electrical length of the
antenna due to water vapour for yourself.

http://www.kayelaby.npl.co.uk/genera...2_5/2_5_7.html

On 14/12/2009 17:48, wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:33:33 +0000, goofball_star_dot_etal
wrote:

On 14/12/2009 15:28,
wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:15:48 +0000, goofball_star_dot_etal
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Oh, so you now acknowledge that it DOES make a difference... Okay!

Yes, but it is "**** all".

wrote:

I'll try to find someone with a SWR meter here tomorrow morning before we
head out to our anchorage prior to going into the dock where we'll be
leaving Flying Pig, and give it a whirl.

One of the quirks of waterlogged coax is that it can exhibit a perfect
1:1 SWR ratio while transmitting little or no power because the signal
loss is so high that nothing gets reflected back to the SWR meter.

Total loss: an often heard squawk about rubber duckies.
But it is not all that easy to maintain a 50 ohm impedance AND soak up
most of the transmit power with salt water in a coax - so a SWR meter
has merit IF and only IF it is suited to the frequency band in use. Most
hams use swr tests under 30 MHz.

Brian W

On 14/12/2009 18:24, wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:50:24 +0000, goofball_star_dot_etal
wrote:

On 14/12/2009 17:48,
wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:33:33 +0000, goofball_star_dot_etal
wrote:

On 14/12/2009 15:28,
wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:15:48 +0000, goofball_star_dot_etal
wrote:

Here is what I said:

Accurate SWR measurements also require clear dry conditions. An
overcast day will affect the readings.

After much huffing, puffing and posturing, you now admit that
statement was absolutely correct.

Apology accepted.

Still not worked out how much the centre frequency shifts compared to
the typical 2Mhz bandwidth?

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:57:59 -0600, brian whatcott
wrote:

it is not all that easy to maintain a 50 ohm impedance AND soak up
most of the transmit power with salt water in a coax

If the coax is soaking most of the transmit power it doesn't really
matter what impeadance it is. An SWR meter will still show no
reflected power, hence a 1:1 ratio.

On 14/12/2009 18:33, wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:30:49 +0000, goofball_star_dot_etal
wrote:

On 14/12/2009 18:24,
wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:50:24 +0000, goofball_star_dot_etal
wrote:

On 14/12/2009 17:48,
wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:33:33 +0000, goofball_star_dot_etal
wrote:

On 14/12/2009 15:28,
wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:15:48 +0000, goofball_star_dot_etal
wrote:

Here is what I said:

Accurate SWR measurements also require clear dry conditions. An
overcast day will affect the readings.

After much huffing, puffing and posturing, you now admit that
statement was absolutely correct.

Apology accepted.

Still not worked out how much the centre frequency shifts compared to
the typical 2Mhz bandwidth?

Hey, you were wrong. Man up and move on.

Ask someone to work it out for you..

In article s.com,
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

Agreed but you could have a bad connection which is heating up under
load.

BINGO! They use one of those crap, 'slow burn' fuses. They heat up and the
extra impedance reduces the voltage. Get rid of it and put a higher amperage
rated, fast burn fuse in - end of problem.

Wilbur Hubbard

Bull****.... Wilbur, you need to stick to stuff you know about....
as Peter Bennett pointed out, if the volume at the receiver dropped, but
the background noise didn't change, then the problem is in the
Modulating Deviation, not the Power Output.... This is FM not AM or
SSB.... In FM, once you exceed 12 db of Receiver Quieting the
Background Noise, changes are hardly perceptible, and in FM, the volume
produced in the receiver is directly proportional to the Modulation
Deviation of the Transmitter, until it exceeds the bandwidth of the
Receiver.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply

A general question [email protected] General 21 September 4th 08 08:05 PM
A general question [email protected] General 0 September 4th 08 12:32 AM
Uniden `Santana' VHF-Marine Question Cruising 7 June 11th 06 03:42 PM
vhf uniden um825 Al Electronics 0 May 16th 05 07:15 PM
Uniden VHF Bobsprit ASA 4 May 29th 04 05:13 PM