Default Sailing the Northwest Passage - Summer 2009

Just ran into this interesting account of a fellow who took his
Westsail from NY to San Francisco the hard way last summer:

http://www.yachtfiona.com/northwestpassage2009/newsletter1.html

On Dec 10, 2:41*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
Just ran into this interesting account of a fellow who took his
Westsail from NY to San Francisco the hard way last summer:

http://www.yachtfiona.com/northwestpassage2009/newsletter1.html

Did you note that the fellow was born in 1932. He single handed the
last leg from Dutch Harbor and this trip was just last summer.

There's hope for us old folks yet.

--
Roger Long

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 06:08:21 -0800 (PST), Roger Long
wrote:

On Dec 10, 2:41*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
Just ran into this interesting account of a fellow who took his
Westsail from NY to San Francisco the hard way last summer:

http://www.yachtfiona.com/northwestpassage2009/newsletter1.html

Did you note that the fellow was born in 1932. He single handed the
last leg from Dutch Harbor and this trip was just last summer.

There's hope for us old folks yet.

Yes, he must be a tough old guy, apparently tough on his crew also.
:-) Dutch Harbor is not a great place to abandon ship unless you want
to be a crab fisherman.

It was a heck of a trip though, one that I have often dreamed of but
will probably never attempt. It's fun to follow his route on Google
earth as you read his description. My desire to sail in the high
latitudes has been severely tempered by 6 years here in the near
tropics of south Florida.

wrote:

On Dec 10, 2:41 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
Just ran into this interesting account of a fellow who took his
Westsail from NY to San Francisco the hard way last summer:

http://www.yachtfiona.com/northwestpassage2009/newsletter1.html

Did you note that the fellow was born in 1932. He single handed the
last leg from Dutch Harbor and this trip was just last summer.

There's hope for us old folks yet.

Yes, he must be a tough old guy, apparently tough on his crew also.
:-) Dutch Harbor is not a great place to abandon ship unless you want
to be a crab fisherman.

It was a heck of a trip though, one that I have often dreamed of but
will probably never attempt. It's fun to follow his route on Google
earth as you read his description. My desire to sail in the high
latitudes has been severely tempered by 6 years here in the near
tropics of south Florida.

It seems to me that the key to making the trip is to have someone ashore
monitoring where the ice is and advising you where to go, otherwise you
might end up stuck for a very long time.
I was surprised that fuel and stores seem to be available along the way and
also at the number of other yachts encountered.
How did that Swede get the necessary permits to go the other way across the
top of Russia, I wonder? Must have taken longer than the voyage itself.

wrote:

On Dec 10, 2:41 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

Any of youse guys follow that fellow that did it last summer in a wood
Bristol Channel Cutter?
30 feet
With wife
And two (early) teenage daughters?

It's getting to be a veritable cruise destination.

Can't recall the name right now. He was on the SSCA site.

On Dec 15 2009, 1:23*pm, hpeer wrote:
Edgar wrote:
.. .
wrote:

On Dec 10, 2:41 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

I met them in Nuuk Greenland last summer. Very Nice family.I told them
they should try sailing the NW Passage as the ice has been good the
last couple
of years. I'm trying to sail around the north pole single handed. My
web site is www.arcticwandering.com .

Northwest Passage Open for Business Vic Smith General 75 August 8th 09 01:40 AM
Northwest passage east to west! Charles Momsen ASA 0 December 3rd 08 03:28 AM
Early Summer FL-ME passage - Ping Wilbur Skip Gundlach Cruising 5 April 19th 08 09:38 AM
Northwest passage Gordon Cruising 6 September 22nd 07 12:41 AM
NORTH WEST PASSAGE : Summer 2004 krissteyn Crew 0 April 12th 04 08:20 PM