Default Cool new boat

Yesterday at the St Pete boat show, went for a test sail on a new
Presto 30, a trailerable 30-31' sailboat with 8.5' beam and 14" draft
(swing keel up). She weighs 4500 lbs roughly.
Carbon fiber masts and wishbone booms. The masts rotate so that even
in the 20 kt wind she did not have to be pointed directly at wind to
raise main and mizzen. Huge cockpit so that even with 6 people in
cockpit she was easily sailed. No winches, no traveller, nice.
With 20 kt winds she was sailed single reefed and did very well
seeming stiff enough.
Her wishbone booms are not directly attached to the masts and the
sails are loose footed so it would have been interesting to see her
jibed but we did not do it.
If I remember correctly, the owner/builder told me she has some
ballast in the swing keel and ballast molded into the hull too.
For a motor, she had an 8 hp outboard in an off center well and the
motor goes up and down with a lanyard. Even in this wind, she seemed
o control very well under power and I was impressed at how well she
did in reverse.
She had a truly enormous anchor locker in the bow.
She had a huge amount of storage space under the cockpit accessed via
a hatch in cockpit floor. There must have been some leakage because
this was wet.
Interior layout was very open with a lot of room and a lot of opening
ports, necessary for Florida.
With 18-20 kt wind abeam, she was doing a consistent 8.1 kts over a
half mile, very nice.
Owner/builder told me it took him 3 hours o set her up once she was in
the water; this seems excessivly long but my impression is that the
system for doing this has not been perfected yet.
She does not have standing headroom in the cabin but even for a 6' 1'
person like myself it seemed spacious and not a problem. They are
working to get a large part of the cabin top to raise with canvas
sides giving standing headroom, this will be great.
There were no lifeline stanchions and putting them on would alter her
considerably. With such a large cockpit, perhaps she does not need
them and crew can simply tie in when in nasty weather or at night.
She does have a deep molded in toe rail. One can also access the main
mast directly from the forward hatch without going over the cabin top.

wrote:
[...]

Sorry. Union River Boat Company. Here is their site for the 30.
http://unionriverboat.com/files/brochure.pdf

BTW, She is supposed to be unsinkable.
I did not get a price for her. I would like to sail on her again.
However, the conditions in St Pete yesterday were a good indication of
how she would do in 20 kt wind and 2' seas. I'd like to see her in
some bigger seas too. I'd also like to see how she sails without the
mizzen set just out of interest.
I'd call her a VERY interesting boat.

wrote:
Yesterday at the St Pete boat show, went for a test sail on a new
Presto 30, a trailerable 30-31' sailboat with 8.5' beam and 14" draft
(swing keel up). Â*She weighs 4500 lbs roughly.
Carbon fiber masts and wishbone booms. Â*The masts rotate so that even
in the 20 kt wind she did not have to be pointed directly at wind to
raise main and mizzen. Â*Huge cockpit so that even with 6 people in
cockpit she was easily sailed. Â*No winches, no traveller, nice.
With 20 kt winds she was sailed single reefed and did very well
seeming stiff enough.
Her wishbone Â*booms are not directly attached to the masts and the
sails are loose footed so it would have been interesting to see her
jibed but we did not do it.
If I remember correctly, the owner/builder told me she has some
ballast in the swing keel and ballast molded into the hull too.
For a motor, she had an 8 hp outboard in an off center well and the
motor goes up and down with a lanyard. Â*Even in this wind, she seemed
o control very well under power and I was impressed at how well she
did in reverse.
She had a truly enormous anchor locker in the bow.
She had a huge amount of storage space under the cockpit accessed via
a hatch in cockpit floor. Â*There must have been some leakage because
this was wet.
Interior layout was very open with a lot of room and a lot of opening
ports, necessary for Florida.
With 18-20 kt wind abeam, she was doing a consistent 8.1 kts over a
half mile, very nice.
Owner/builder told me it took him 3 hours o set her up once she was in
the water; this seems excessivly long but my impression is that the
system for doing this has not been perfected yet.
She does not have standing headroom in the cabin but even for a 6' 1'
person like myself it seemed spacious and not a problem. Â*They are
working to get a large part of the cabin top to raise with canvas
sides giving standing headroom, this will be great.
There were no lifeline stanchions and putting them on would alter her
considerably. Â*With such a large cockpit, perhaps she does not need
them and crew can simply tie in when in nasty weather or at night.
She does have a deep molded in toe rail. Â*One can also access the main
mast directly from the forward hatch without going over the cabin top.

Pictures/web site ?

Sorry. Union River Boat Company. Here is their site for the 30.
http://unionriverboat.com/files/brochure.pdf

BTW, She is supposed to be unsinkable.
I did not get a price for her. I would like to sail on her again.
However, the conditions in St Pete yesterday were a good indication of
how she would do in 20 kt wind and 2' seas. I'd like to see her in
some bigger seas too. I'd also like to see how she sails without the
mizzen set just out of interest.
I'd call her a VERY interesting boat.

Sure is. 14" is nice number for Florida.
Looks like this one is $92,500.
http://unionriverboat.com/files/Pres...11-10-2009.pdf

--Vic

wrote:
[...]

Certainly an interesting boat for the west coast of FL with all of the
skinny water we have around here.

Are you still planning a run to the Bahamas in your S2 ?

wrote:
[...]

Am s'posed to be leaving for the bahamas within two weeks. Daughter
has to graduate from UNF first this coming weekend.

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 16:29:23 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

Are you still planning a run to the Bahamas in your S2 ?

Am s'posed to be leaving for the bahamas within two weeks. Daughter
has to graduate from UNF first this coming weekend.

Let me know if you need a place to dock in the Ft Myers area. We are
on a deep water canal just off the Caloosahatchie River/Okeechobee
Waterway, about 10 miles upriver from Sanibel Island/Ft Myers Beach.
Going through Lake Okeechobee saves about 150 miles to the Bahamas if
you draw less than 6 ft and can get under a 49 ft bridge.

wrote:
Are you still planning a run to the Bahamas in your S2 ?

Am s'posed to be leaving for the bahamas within two weeks. *Daughter
has to graduate from UNF first this coming weekend.

Let me know if you need a place to dock in the Ft Myers area. * We are
on a deep water canal just off the Caloosahatchie River/Okeechobee
Waterway, about 10 miles upriver from Sanibel Island/Ft Myers Beach.
Going through Lake Okeechobee saves about *150 miles to the Bahamas if
you draw less than 6 ft and can get under a 49 ft bridge.

Wow, what a kind offer. We will be taking that route as my mast is
47' and I draw 3' 10". My biggest problem right now is that I have
not been able to get a bottom job done yet (no facilities anywhere
near here) so will have to have it done en-route while I come back to
work a week. Any suggestioins on a yard?

wrote:
Are you still planning a run to the Bahamas in your S2 ?

Am s'posed to be leaving for the bahamas within two weeks. *Daughter
has to graduate from UNF first this coming weekend.

Let me know if you need a place to dock in the Ft Myers area. * We are
on a deep water canal just off the Caloosahatchie River/Okeechobee
Waterway, about 10 miles upriver from Sanibel Island/Ft Myers Beach.
Going through Lake Okeechobee saves about *150 miles to the Bahamas if
you draw less than 6 ft and can get under a 49 ft bridge.

Wow, what a kind offer. We will be taking that route as my mast is
47' and I draw 3' 10". My biggest problem right now is that I have
not been able to get a bottom job done yet (no facilities anywhere
near here) so will have to have it done en-route while I come back to
work a week. Any suggestioins on a yard?

I get most of my work done here in Ft Myers Beach:

http://www.olsenmarineservice.com/

Good quality work but not exactly inexpensive.

There's a place 15 miles east of here on the Okeechobee that may be
less expensive but I don't know:

http://www.owlcreekboatworks.com/

There is also a DIY yard on the Okeechobee about half way across:

http://www.gladesboatstorage.com/

Anything on the east coast will probably be more expensive.

Way cool boat... Wayne.B General 0 January 17th 07 03:32 AM
Way cool boat... Jim General 1 January 17th 07 03:13 AM
My Cool New Boat DSK ASA 1 December 8th 05 02:51 AM
Now here's a cool boat! DSK ASA 10 November 10th 05 11:06 AM
Now here's a cool boat DSK ASA 11 August 8th 04 11:27 PM