Default LORAN Still Worth The Trouble?

Roger Long wrote:
... I would use the private charts you trust to enter the general
shoreline as a route ...

Not sure I know which charts you reference. I have available the CHO paper
charts (latest, corrected) and the NDI DVD (latest, corrected) for the area
in question (most of the southwest and south coast of NF). I have not
encountered private charts for this region. BTW the NDI electronic charts
include free updates for one year from the date of purchase. Pretty good
service, and they automatically send the new DVD to the address one uses
when registering the charts. All in all, very good service. I don't know
if this service is available elsewhere; the Bermuda electronic charts I
purchased in 2008 did NOT include updates.

BTW if I had a functioning Loran on my boat, I would keep it as a back up
... When you get within 3 about miles, you switch to eyeballs ...

The Sitex I mentioned in the original post dates from 1982. It has never
failed to operate correctly and I carried it aboard through last summer. I
compensate the unit based on GPS, but I have not lately had to rely on it
for position information. I removed it only to free up a very small amount
of space that might hold a few books (and also because the LORAN whip is in
the way when adjusting the steering vane) Based on what I have heard about
the NF south coast, the device may go back aboard.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:27:10 -0400, Michael Porter
wrote:

We are off for Bermuda tomorrow, now that this low is out of the way.

There's another big low getting ready to build out from Cape Hatteras
in 3 days or so. Have a safe trip.

On Nov 28, 2:22*pm, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

Not sure I know which charts you reference. *

I misread your post. I looked back later and realized that the
private charts you were referring to are only for the Bahamas.

I think it might be possible with Google Earth as far as getting an
idea about any systematic chart skew or offset such as you might be
able to correct for with the Loran. However, it's also possible that
Google skews or shifts around their image tiles so that they
correspond to the official charts. When I do unlock the Newfoundland
region, I'm going to check the locations of lighthouses and other
major features between my Bluecharts and GE because it's fairly quick
and easy to do.

I think it's far more likely though that the whole region is just
poorly charted and some individual features are misplaced. Nothing to
do then but keep a sharp lookout and sail conservatively.

--
Roger Long
Bob Bob is offline

Has anyone tried this in a similar situation (i.e., specifically where the
GPS does not correspond to the latest charts)? Is this a good idea in the
first place?

s/v Kerry Deare

Experience with screwy charts......... to be brief: all of them are
suspect.

should you keep a LORAN? **** no. If youre so convinced with its
effacy I thnk yould best get an ADF to comliment your nav suite.

Use standard terrestial/near coast dead wreckoning stratiges plus gps.

bob

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:32:40 -0500, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

I recently removed a Sitex 767c from my small sailing boat with the
intention of putting it into long-term storage. I typically run one of 3 GPS
units which have met my needs in varied situations. They all feed a laptop,
send 0183 data to the radar display, the autopilot, etc., via various
switching methods. They all run on the ship's mains, and 2 of the 3 run on
batteries also. My cruising area has at various times covered the area from
the Maritimes to the northern Caribbean and that's likely to remain the
case. I have read that the US is considering eliminating funding for LORAN
despite the recent buzz about eLORAN and other innovations and this factored
into my removal decision.

It appears from
http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/...p-loran-c-9087
that Loran-C is likely to discontinue operation on Jan 4, 2010, so
there may be no point in keeping a Loran-C receiver.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:13:48 -0800, Peter Bennett
wrote:

It appears from
http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/...p-loran-c-9087
that Loran-C is likely to discontinue operation on Jan 4, 2010, so
there may be no point in keeping a Loran-C receiver.

I hadn't realized that it might go away that quickly, don't think too
many people are going to miss it however. I get a chuckle from
people claiming that the GPS system is prone to interference. They
obviously never tried navigating with Loran on a dark and stormy night
when the lightning is crashing around you.

wrote:

It appears from
http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/...p-loran-c-9087
that Loran-C is likely to discontinue operation on Jan 4, 2010, so
there may be no point in keeping a Loran-C receiver.

I hadn't realized that it might go away that quickly, don't think too
many people are going to miss it however. I get a chuckle from
people claiming that the GPS system is prone to interference. They
obviously never tried navigating with Loran on a dark and stormy night
when the lightning is crashing around you.

Five weeks time? So soon? Me neither! A note sent this month from the
chair of the Senate committee on Homeland Security to the Secretary of
Homeland Security is contained in the pointer below.

http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/...apolitano-9124

Brian W

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 06:21:43 -0600, Rick Morel
wrote:

I wonder how many chart displacements are the result of these changes
that simply haven't been recently surveyed? Back to our home port
area, the charts still show a little island that washed away back in
the mid 70's!

We have a lot of chart "features" like that here in SW Florida. The
approach to Marco Island is one example. Coconut Island has been
completely gone for some time and a GPS track for the channel takes
you right over the top of it. A GPS track coming out Red Fish Pass
north of Captiva Island goes over dry land also. Fortunately the nav
aids for both of those places are accurately set because anyone
following the chart will get in trouble.

wrote:

I wonder how many chart displacements are the result of these changes
that simply haven't been recently surveyed? Back to our home port
area, the charts still show a little island that washed away back in
the mid 70's!

We have a lot of chart "features" like that here in SW Florida. The
approach to Marco Island is one example. Coconut Island has been
completely gone for some time and a GPS track for the channel takes
you right over the top of it. A GPS track coming out Red Fish Pass
north of Captiva Island goes over dry land also. Fortunately the nav
aids for both of those places are accurately set because anyone
following the chart will get in trouble.

I've got (if I haven't misplaced it) a chart of some of the islands in
the S. Pacific with the notation "based on the survey by HMS Beagle,
1776", or some such wording. I wonder does the coordinates agree with
GPS?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Peter Bennett wrote:

It appears from
http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/...p-loran-c-9087
that Loran-C is likely to discontinue operation on Jan 4, 2010, so
there may be no point in keeping a Loran-C receiver.

OPINION AND SPECULATION

I had earlier seen Susan Collins discussing LORAN funding with Janet
Napolitano. Based on this discussion alone, I'd speculate that LORAN
funding will be in the budget for some time to come. Collins was at least
partially addressing the lobster fishermen in her home state with this
performance, but that aside she has quite a bit of credibility on the Hill.

/OPINION AND SPECULATION

Loran C [email protected] General 14 May 9th 09 03:25 PM
The end of LORAN Eisboch[_4_] General 37 May 8th 09 05:39 PM
loran R Whellum Cruising 1 March 17th 05 01:54 PM
Loran vs GPS mark s Electronics 11 November 4th 03 05:00 AM
Loran vs GPS mark s General 5 November 4th 03 01:01 AM