Bob Bob is offline

Default Joe and his imprtant friends

So Joe was bragging how imprtant and capable his friends are in
another post. When I challenged his statments about USCG licensing he
pointed to a training company called:

HOUSTON MARINE TRAINING SERVICE

http://www.houstonmarine.com/mainfra...vedCourses.asp

To give you an idea of the quality of training I copied the
information for a course titled
Able Seaman. If you take the 5 day course you dont have to test for AB
at the CG.

The interesting thing is that in EVERY USCG Regional Exam Center in
the US EXCEPT appearenly those in TX and LA they will not accept an
orignal application for AB unless you have also completed a course
titled LIFEBOATMAN. It is a requirment for AB EXCEPT for the very
lowest grade AB........ and that is AB OSV (oilfield service vessel)
This AB "ticket" limits you to work ONLY on boats engaged in oil and
mineral work ie. GOM.

So whats the big deal? Just read the course description of Joe's
friends AB class...........
Dont take it from me.... This "school" is just another bubba school
for those who will never be able to work outside the oilpatch.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
USCG Approved Able Seaman Course
A team of professional licensed mariners teaches the Houston Marine 40-
hr Able Seaman course. The course is held for 5 consecutive days
{Monday - Friday} to make the most effective use of student time and
reduce travel expenses.

The Able Seaman course combines formal classroom training, hands - on
assessments of marlinspike seamanship and knot tying and computer
study for review of topic material. In addition, the course is
approved in lieu of the USCG AB rating endorsement examinations.
That's correct, successful completion of the course relieves you from
having to test at the REC for AB.

This course does not meet the requirements for
Lifeboatman. Those aspiring for an Unlimited AB ticket will still be
required to take and pass the 70 question Lifeboatman exam at the USCG
REC. We have exam prep study available for this test module that with
minimal study of oar commands coupled with material covered in the
course will have you ready to test in short time.

In addition, this course does not meet the
requirements for Practical Assessment for Lifeboatman or Survival
Craft. These assessments may be accomplished in accordance with IAW
NMC Policy Letter No. 8-01 dated 6 April 2001
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I added the because the original was in bold font.

I guess its not a big deal. But when Joe goes blowing his horn I think
its important for everyone to know its just more oilfield trash
bull****.

Bob
Joe Joe is offline

Default Bob **** speall

http://www.houstonmarine.com/mainfra...n=USCGApproved....

[...]

yawn...
Bob Bob is offline

Here ya go Joe..............

Read it and weep....

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/M...C.pdf&B1=GO%21

Pay close attention to the

1) OICNW course requirment
2) AB requirment..
and that aint no bayou OSV AB rate. You need the real AB rate Special
higher with STCW Lifeboatman etc.

Oh, I read about your Houston Maritime training school closer. Looks
like they are a Division of Alford Safety Services, Inc .... Houma,
LA .

Alford is the same place I took my SafeGulf training. THe only thing
I can say about that place was the Hilocopter ditch was very good. The
water survival/safety was a ****ing joke....... The instructor tossed
some junk in the pool: rubber boots, plastic trash bags, buckets and
then told us that was our survival equipment.......

NOTHING about hypotherma
NOTHING about IMMERSION suits because "its too hot to use them in the
pool"
20 min about THe survival craft, a typical 25 person inflatable. We
spent about 10 min with it in the water.

ONE THE OTHER HAND.......... When I took my Basic Safety Training/
Lifeboatman/water safety courses in Astoria, OR we spent an intire 8
hours in the pool learning immersion suit and survial craft drills.
very comprehenisve. The whole set took 10 days. and of course was
fully STCW compliant. But down in the bayou that sort of training isnt
required. All ya need is a plastic garbage bag and friends so tight id
call em family.
'
Joe you can have it all and dont worry I wont let the door hit me on
the way out.
Bob

Friends of the Fox blazin General 0 March 6th 06 01:32 AM
Friends Reggie Smithers General 0 January 24th 06 11:28 PM
With Friends like him .... Vito ASA 2 November 10th 05 07:13 PM