posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Joe Joe is offline

Default 21’ flats boat over 6,000 miles across the Atlantic

On Nov 5, 5:16*pm, Jeff wrote:
Joe wrote:

Interesting Video. New nautical term "barking"

"Barking" is a nautical term: its the process of treating canvas sails
with tree bark as a presevative. *Each village would have its own large
caldron and "secret formula" for the annual treatment of sails and other
canvas. *Now its mainly just a memory in "tanbark" sails for classic boats.

Ah....sounded Nautical.

Are you the Jeff who likes coffee?
you roast coffee yourself right?

what kinds of beans are you getting, if you are that Jeff?

Joe

Joe wrote:
On Nov 5, 5:16 pm, Jeff wrote:
Joe wrote:

Interesting Video. New nautical term "barking"

"Barking" is a nautical term: its the process of treating canvas sails
with tree bark as a presevative. Each village would have its own large
caldron and "secret formula" for the annual treatment of sails and other
canvas. Now its mainly just a memory in "tanbark" sails for classic boats.

Ah....sounded Nautical.

Are you the Jeff who likes coffee?
you roast coffee yourself right?

what kinds of beans are you getting, if you are that Jeff?

Yes, that's me! Lately I've been enjoying some Kona from the recent
harvest. I'm trying to decide if its worth laying in 10-20 pounds for
next summer. Last year I froze 10 lbs green, then roasted it in June,
froze it again in pre-weighed, vacuum bags to see us through the whole
summer (with some Huehuetenango for variety).

The Kona, at $15/lb delivered is a pricey indulgence, so I also get
green from Sweet Maria's, mostly Central American, and some from George
Howell, who is probably the best cupper (taster) in the country.

I've been roasting with a Gene Cafe.

Here's some links:
http://www.smithfarms.com/
http://www.sweetmarias.com/
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.genecafe.php
http://www.terroircoffee.com/

On Nov 5, 6:07*pm, Jeff wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Nov 5, 5:16 pm, Jeff wrote:
Joe wrote:

[...]

Here's some links:http://www.smithfarms.com/http://www...ircoffee.com/- Hide quoted text -

We have been selling a certified organic Kona from the town of
Captain Cook "Captain Cooks Kona" on the big island.
Our "Skippers Choice" is a Huehuetenango, our "Boat Roast" is a very
good Costa Rican Tres Rio's (peaberry right now), it's our top seller.
Then my favorate "RedClouds Finest" is a certified Antiqua.
We also carry a Moonson Malabar, a Colombian Ex, and a line of
flavored coffees.

I'm roasting 30-40 hr a week now every other week, and we were just
asked to double our output for the Farmers Market.

I've about thrown away the old dripper and gone to strictly French
pressing myself.

Thanks for the links but I've got access to a storage house as big as
two football fields full of the worlds finest and most exotic green.
The ladies have a first class cupping facility, and if needed they
send all the samples I request.

Joe

Joe wrote:
On Nov 5, 6:07 pm, Jeff wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Nov 5, 5:16 pm, Jeff wrote:
Joe wrote:

[...]

Looks like you've got a nice business going. I always felt a bit
responsible for your interest since I posted "The Last Coffee Ship" on
ASA in 2001. The last post on the thread is from a certain "TerTrnty."

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...1c8ada20d4cb5c

The links, of course, were for the benefit of interested readers, since
I'm sure you know of Sweet Marias and George Howell.

On Nov 6, 7:10*am, Jeff wrote:

*I always felt a bit
responsible for your interest since I posted "The Last Coffee Ship" on
ASA in 2001. *

Planting seeds huh?

I was wondering who to send the bill to.

Joe