posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default 21’ flats boat over 6,000 miles across the Atlantic

These guys got some cajones. And well-beaten kidneys.
Interesting view of boat design regarding capsize prevention.
I posted a bit back about an idle - and maybe impractical - idea I had
for inflatable gunnel bags.
Looks like buoyant gunnels are built into this boat.
Here's an excerpt for those who are not allowed on the site - it
requires free signup. You can google most of it up using this
subject, but maybe not this new article from Boatest.
Some interesting videos, including one taken from a UK S&R chopper of
the boat in 12' seas.

http://www.boattest.com/Resources/vi...px?NewsID=3836

"As soon as you flood the bilge of a boat it starts to become
unstable, Brown said. When the cockpit is flooded the boat can easily
capsize which is why we put two 3-1/2 scuppers in the transom of the
boat. Brown went on to say that he used rubber exhaust pipe flappers
to cover his scuppers on the outside and act as a check valve.
Once the cockpit of a small boat is flooded, the free surface effect
of the water as it moves from side to side unfettered by baffles will
usually capsize the boat.
I filled the hull with foam flotation and placed it on the outside in
the gunwales to make the boat harder to flip, Brown said. I knew the
boat would never sink no matter what happened."

Also of note:
"In fact, the transatlantic boat seems to have been impervious to the
free surface effect simply because there was very little room for
water in the cockpit. The foredeck of the Intruder C-21 is a flat
casting platform with six hatches for storage. The cockpit was filled
with numerous large containers of fuel, water and supplies, leaving
little space for anything else -- including sea water!"

So there's one solution to avoid shipping seas - fill your boat with
"stuff!" Better have it lashed down well though.

--Vic

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 4, 8:38*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

Interesting Video. New nautical term "barking"

Joe

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Joe, that is not a nautical term. It is 'barking' as in 'barking mad' which
just about sums this stunt up.

On Nov 5, 8:38*am, "Edgar" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

[...]

just about sums this stunt up.- Hide quoted text -

That bow slamming the waves was like a mad dog "barking", are you
sure?

I think they did good myself. They have raised allot of awareness to
support wounded and fallen heroes in the United States, Canada and the
United Kingdom.

Also if you visit the owners web-site to order a boat you will see
"Pay 200 dollars and get in line" they are being flooded with orders
for the boat.

Joe

Joe wrote:
On Nov 5, 8:38 am, "Edgar" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

[...]

Ask Harry Krause about the time his father crossed the Atlantic in a
small runabout and returned to NYC to a fireboat welcome!

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

In article ,
says...

Joe wrote:
On Nov 5, 8:38 am, "Edgar" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

[...]

Don't ask Harry anything, he is a frekin' liar and not worth wasting
time on. Either way, this time it (the site) let me in without signing
up, wonder if it is the new computer I am on...

--
Wafa free again.

"Joe" wrote in message

That bow slamming the waves was like a mad dog "barking", are you
sure?

Yes,quite sure...

I think they did good myself. They have raised allot of awareness to
support wounded and fallen heroes in the United States, Canada and the
United Kingdom.

Also if you visit the owners web-site to order a boat you will see
"Pay 200 dollars and get in line" they are being flooded with orders
for the boat.

Let us hope they do not all think that boat can handle stuff like that in
their less experienced hands

"Joe" wrote in message

Joe, that is not a nautical term. It is 'barking' as in 'barking mad'
which
just about sums this stunt up.- Hide quoted text -

That bow slamming the waves was like a mad dog "barking", are you
sure?

Definitely "mad" as in Cockney rhyming slang, complete with the appropriate
"f***'ing" expletive.

Alisdair
http://sailing.agurney.com/

Joe wrote:

Interesting Video. New nautical term "barking"

"Barking" is a nautical term: its the process of treating canvas sails
with tree bark as a presevative. Each village would have its own large
caldron and "secret formula" for the annual treatment of sails and other
canvas. Now its mainly just a memory in "tanbark" sails for classic boats.