Default St. Augustine local transport Samaritan?

Well, as always, in cruising, stuff happens. This time it's the Honda
eu2000i genset, which we'll have to get to a service shop, my having
exhausted my troubleshooting and spare parts abilities.

We're anchored off the City Marina north of the Lions (currently in storage
for those in the know about the bridge); is there anyone reading who might
be willing to run us to whomever we find who can work on it? Yes, of
course, we can taxi - but we'd rather make the acquaintance of another
cruiser and avoid the cost/inconvenience if it works out.

Respond to or 770-887-0397; we have a killer
connection here, allowing our vonage phones and other internet capabilities.

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

PS Thanks to all the prior respondents WRT channel and anchorage and dinghy
docking. Uneventful entry and anchoring, we have used the marina dinghy
dock and enjoyed the showers :{))

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

Bob Bob is offline

On Sep 13, 3:43*pm, "Flying Pig" wrote:

Well, as always, in cruising, stuff happens.

is there anyone reading who might
be willing to run us to whomever we find who can work on it?

but we'd rather ...avoid the cost/inconvenience

I see youre still surviving off the goodwill of others.

Ya know Skip if you didnt have a generator ya wouldnt have this
problem.
Tell ya what, you can use one of the 3 on my boat. Got three snarling
12V71s for ya bra

Skip arent getting tired of fixing **** yet?
bob

"Bob" wrote in message
On Sep 13, 3:43 pm, "Flying Pig" wrote:

Ya know Skip if you didnt have a generator ya wouldnt have this
problem.
Tell ya what, you can use one of the 3 on my boat. Got three snarling
12V71s for ya bra

Skip arent getting tired of fixing **** yet?
bob

Nah - but I see you did, instead going to work on someone else' boat :{))

As to good will, some of us call it paying it forward. Evidently we've done
all right in prepayment, cuz things usually work out OK for us when we need
a hand up (or at least would appreciate one)...

Have fun on the big boat :{))

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 14, 9:52*am, "Flying Pig" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

On Sep 13, 3:43 pm, "Flying Pig" wrote:

Ya know Skip if you didnt have a generator ya wouldnt have this
problem.
Tell ya what, you can use one of the 3 on my boat. Got three snarling
12V71s for ya bra

Skip arent getting tired of fixing **** yet?
bob

Nah - but I see you did, instead going to work on someone else' boat :{))`

Bob could not get a union job, after he paid massive union dues, so he
had to pack it up and head to the oil patch were he and his union
buddy called non-union workers "slaves"....pretty pathetic, gutless
and proper for such a douche. The engineer on his boat keeps him busy,
he'd rather have Bob taking care of his soiled TP than risk clogging
the waste system. The clown gets the respect he deserves.

He has no 12-71's to loan anyone, all he has is a toilet brush and the
worst job on the boat... Could you imagine being an old man like Bob
and being in such a position? Talk about a lifetime achivement award.

Joe

As to good will, some of us call it paying it forward. *Evidently we've done
all right in prepayment, cuz things usually work out OK for us when we need
a hand up (or at least would appreciate one)...

Have fun on the big boat :{))

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries atwww.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

Abort, Abort :{))

We have two girls aboard who are homeschooled. In Loco Parentis, we are
charged with giving them at least one new concept every day.

So, in prep for some of the input I'd received WRT the Honda generator, and
pursuing my unwillingness to give up so easily, I set to additional
troubleshooting today before calling any of the leads I'd developed for
service.

I called the girls out and gave them a seminar on internal combustion
engines, including troubleshooting. We checked the oil (full), so if there
were an interrupt it would have been the oil level sensor. While I'd
determined how to bypass it, I wanted to isolate the problem, so I didn't
address that directly.

As the only thing which prevents an IC (internal combustion) engine from
running is ignition, fuel or air, I started at the top (literally) and
pulled the spark plug, having discovered the correct gap in the manual
(always, I RTFM [read the freakin' manual!] when I'm stymied; usually I do
it first, but the spark plug had looked great, so I didn't start there in my
first explorations). It was within tolerance, but at the wide end, so I
showed them how to read and gap it to the short end, and how to reinstall it
with the proper level of torque.

Still no joy. On to the second: I disconnected the fuel line at the
carburetor (they learned about fuel injection and carbs in the introduction)
and was rewarded with a steady flow. Put it back on and tried to drain the
carburetor. No joy in getting the screw to move, so I couldn't prove that
there was fuel there. Also, while I'd spritzed it repeatedly with WD40,
trying to get ignition in my earlier attempts, I theorized that it wasn't
volatile enough, and had been wrestling with how to get gasoline into the
opening.

I settled on a paper towel, held under the fuel line while I pulled it off.
Saturated, I wadded it up and stuck it into the opening with the choke
opened, and pulled the starter.

It ran :{)) - and I let it run for a bit, presuming it was getting its fuel
from the towel, but also, fully choked by virtue of the paper towel, may
have been pulling fuel through the carb. So, I stopped it after a bit, and
extracted all the little bits of paper towel stuck to the choke plate,
choked it, and started it again.

Still running, I ran it rich for a time, and turned off the eco-switch,
which when on forces it to run full throttle all the time. Still runs.
JOY!

Switched the eco back on and it purred like a kitten. I presume it was the
same sort of problem I'd met in both the outboards, which weren't very happy
starting initially, either - crummy Bahamas fuel, which had been in each.
So, the lesson also included information about varnish formation, and the
importance of adding fuel stabilizer if the engine is going to be left for
some time. Of course, our initial expectation had been that we'd be there
for a very brief time, so I hadn't done that. Lesson for me, too, and,
likely, being in teaching mode helped me more efficiently arrive at the
solution, so it was very helpful to have been put in the position of teacher
for the girls...

Lesson ended, I shut it down, buttoned up the various things like the filter
housing (I'd taken it off to get to the carburetor), spark plug cover and
main housing access), moved it over to the shore power input, and, as I
type, the Xantrex inverter charger is putting 70 amps continuously into the
system.

Now, on to sourcing another 15HP impeller, as long as we're stuck here for a
bit, it being afternoon already, and my wanting to have fully charged (and
also equalized, which I'll do after it's all the way up) batteries.

So, thanks to all respondents public and private. I really like the Honda
eu2000i, despite my own stupid pet tricks (not stabilizing the fuel is my
expectation on the problem but adjusting the spark plug no doubt helps)
causing the problem in the first place. The more I cruise, the more I find
that's usually the reason for some problem (my stupid pet tricks) :{/)

L8R

Skip and crew, relieved

--

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
[...]

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:33:29 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Congratulations on getting it running. Please don't use it near us.
:-)

Do you have a new URL for your SPOT track? The old one doesn't seem
to be working.

As the only thing which prevents an IC (internal combustion) engine from
running is ignition, fuel or air

You forgot compression - very important.

Also, while I'd spritzed it repeatedly with WD40,

Wrong stuff. I highly recommend that you get a can or two of PB
Blaster, available at any auto parts store. It is truly magical and
*much* better than WD-40 for freeing up corroded objects. I just used
it on a couple of old bronze turnbuckles that were so badly frozen
that it took 5 applications over 3 days but they eventually turned.

Default Lubricants and other stuff (was) St. Augustine local transport Samaritan?

wrote:

Congratulations on getting it running. Please don't use it near us.
:-)

Do you have a new URL for your SPOT track? The old one doesn't seem
to be working.

As the only thing which prevents an IC (internal combustion) engine from
running is ignition, fuel or air

You forgot compression - very important.

Also, while I'd spritzed it repeatedly with WD40,

Wrong stuff. I highly recommend that you get a can or two of PB
Blaster, available at any auto parts store. It is truly magical and
*much* better than WD-40 for freeing up corroded objects. I just used
it on a couple of old bronze turnbuckles that were so badly frozen
that it took 5 applications over 3 days but they eventually turned.

We actually have a very good supply of PBB - but I wasn't trying to unstick,
I was trying to provide a combustible. Of course, it wasn't volatile
enough, but the gas-soaked paper towel was, and off we went.

And, yes, I forgot compression - but it was evident from pulling the starter
that there was at least the normal amount of compression. We did discuss
the difference in compression on diesel making the heat for ignition, so I
didn't neglect it, just didn't chase it for troubleshooting :{))

No on the spot, either - my son just asked the same question. I guess we'll
have to go to them to find out, as we've just been charged for our current
subscription, and it should still be very much alive. Thanks for the
reminder.

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

wrote:

Congratulations on getting it running. Please don't use it near us.
:-)

Do you have a new URL for your SPOT track? The old one doesn't seem
to be working.

As the only thing which prevents an IC (internal combustion) engine from
running is ignition, fuel or air

You forgot compression - very important.

Also, while I'd spritzed it repeatedly with WD40,

Wrong stuff. I highly recommend that you get a can or two of PB
Blaster, available at any auto parts store. It is truly magical and
*much* better than WD-40 for freeing up corroded objects. I just used
it on a couple of old bronze turnbuckles that were so badly frozen
that it took 5 applications over 3 days but they eventually turned.

I second the praise for PB Blaster. WD-40 is a distant second.

"Joe" wrote in message

Bob could not get a union job, after he paid massive union dues, so he
had to pack it up and head to the oil patch were he and his union
buddy called non-union workers "slaves"....pretty pathetic, gutless
and proper for such a douche. The engineer on his boat keeps him busy,
he'd rather have Bob taking care of his soiled TP than risk clogging
the waste system. The clown gets the respect he deserves.

He has no 12-71's to loan anyone, all he has is a toilet brush and the
worst job on the boat... Could you imagine being an old man like Bob
and being in such a position? Talk about a lifetime achivement award.

I wonder, has Bob ever sunk a perfectly good boat in a GoM cold front? If
not, I wager he's a more competent sailor than you are. Bob has one thing
going for him that you don't - hubris! (Look it up, Cajun clown.)

Wilbur Hubbard

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
As to good will, some of us call it paying it forward. Evidently we've
done all right in prepayment, cuz things usually work out OK for us when
we need a hand up (or at least would appreciate one)...

Further to my last, a local cruiser has hooked up for us. We may do
Sailor's exchange, run to the local outboard place to get some supplies, and
perhaps one other small item or two.

FWIW, current SPOT is http://tinyurl.com/FlyingPigSPOT. Still trying to
figure out their arcana about OK messages, but it's currently transmitting
while I try to make sense of their nonsense, and in their non-helpful help
files on the subject...

L8R

Skip