Default PS Pump

Sorry if this is the wrong group, I couldn't find a better one. If you
point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it greatly.

My problem: I just found out that my PS pump was fried on my boat.

In my boat fleet, I have a 1962 75 horse Johnson. And as I've bought
parts for that in the past, I figured parts for newer boat being a
Chevy V6, wouldn't be rare or too expensive. Well, I found out how
obscenely expensive a replacement is from a marina.

So that got me to thinking, the engine itself is basically a car
engine. So I asked one guy at a marina about it, and he said that a
"regular" PS pump from a car might work. I called a different marina,
and that guy said it wouldn't.

Is it possible to use a car PS pump on a boat motor? Also, does anyone
know of a place to get a PS pump at a reasonable cost?

Yes it works on my boat just fine. You are better off having yours rebuilt
by the shop than getting an exchange unit.

DONT BUY NEW!

On Sep 5, 8:46*pm, wrote:
Yes it works on my boat just fine. You are better off having yours rebuilt
by the shop than getting an exchange unit.

DONT BUY NEW!

thanks for the info. I'll look into the rebuilding option tomorrow.

On Sep 5, 8:46*pm, wrote:
Yes it works on my boat just fine. You are better off having yours rebuilt
by the shop than getting an exchange unit.

DONT BUY NEW!

I was lucky enough to find one on ebay for 45 bucks. It's used, but
assuming it's in working condition, it's 45 bucks vs 500+...

Blazer Fan Dan wrote:
... So I asked one guy at a marina about it, and he said that a
"regular" PS pump from a car might work. I called a different marina,
and that guy said it wouldn't.

Is it possible to use a car PS pump on a boat motor? Also, does anyone
know of a place to get a PS pump at a reasonable cost?

If you are talking about a power steering pump, the hydraulic fluid
is basically like transmission oil in an auto, and I expect it is
similar in your boat. The uncertainly centers not on salt water
considerations - the pump is not exposed - but rather, max flow rate at
required pressure. I expect you would be well served by visiting
NAPA or some such with the fried pump and asking for a pump with
compatible belt drive and size. Possibly a recon version would suit.
You might consider painting it with a rust resistant oil enamel against
the humid environment.

This is not a very high risk course of action....

Brian W

$3.89 at the pump... HK General 13 May 12th 08 01:49 PM
Fuel pump died - Seawater Pump Removal [email protected] General 4 August 31st 06 01:10 PM
Bilge Pump jflash General 11 June 1st 05 01:00 PM
$400 BREAST PUMP.... Overproof ASA 10 December 7th 04 03:25 AM
pump rcgordo Electronics 1 March 8th 04 12:09 AM