Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default PS Pump

Blazer Fan Dan wrote:
... So I asked one guy at a marina about it, and he said that a
"regular" PS pump from a car might work. I called a different marina,
and that guy said it wouldn't.

Is it possible to use a car PS pump on a boat motor? Also, does anyone
know of a place to get a PS pump at a reasonable cost?

If you are talking about a power steering pump, the hydraulic fluid
is basically like transmission oil in an auto, and I expect it is
similar in your boat. The uncertainly centers not on salt water
considerations - the pump is not exposed - but rather, max flow rate at
required pressure. I expect you would be well served by visiting
NAPA or some such with the fried pump and asking for a pump with
compatible belt drive and size. Possibly a recon version would suit.
You might consider painting it with a rust resistant oil enamel against
the humid environment.

This is not a very high risk course of action....

Brian W