Default rig tuning suggestions

I'm consistently a kt. slower on the port tack than the starboard and
it's starting to make me nuts. Almost as nuts as the "weather" on the
Great Lakes this "summer".

To start, all the standing rigging is new as of last year with about 40
hours of total sailing time on it.

I measured the mast for plumbness using the main halyard, then tightened
the uppers by hand keeping the mast in column. Then snugged the forestay
hand tight. Then attempted to induce some prebend by tightening the aft
stay, first hand tight, then with a wrench. Sighting up the main track
shows a slight aft bend, maybe an inch over my 34' mast height, then
checking again for straightness athwartship. Finally hand tightened the
single inner shrouds.

Out for sail testing and on the starboard tack the boat falls into the
groove and runs right up to hull speed with a #3 and the full main in
about 12-15kts of breeze. Slight weather helm and I can trim her for
hands off at hull speed.

Tack to port and we have to fall to leeward a bit to get her to
accelerate and she never really gets into a comfortable groove. More
pronounced weather helm and she seems to be struggling to come to hull
speed.

On both tacks the inner shrouds flop loosely and I know that will need to
be dealt with next time out. As well, the forestay sags at least 5-6
inches from the centreline. I've read that "hand-tight" is good enough
for shrouds and stays but this can't be right. My pointing ability can't
be what it could be with such a loose rig.

I'm looking for tuning hints here. It's just a conventional masthead rig
with single lower shrouds and no backstay tensioner installed. Headsails
are hank-on. Main has 3 full battens.

"mr.b" wrote in message
m...
[...]

If you really expect any decent advice how about providing the following:

1) Make and size of boat include LWL
2) How are you measuring speed through the water? (GPS or submersed rotor?)
3) Angle of heel on port tack
4) Angle of heel on starboard tack
5) What kind of keel does the boat have?
6) Inboard or outboard motor?
7) if inboard is the prop shaft on the centerline?
8) how are you determining the apparent wind angle?

Wilbur Hubbard

"mr.b" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Are you sure it's a rigging issue, beyond what you've stated toward the end?
Did you notice or not notice this prior to the new rigging?

Here's a tuning guide for manually tuning a C&C.. not sure what boat you
have.

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityou...ing/tuning.htm

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:48:37 -0700, Capt. JG wrote:

Are you sure it's a rigging issue, beyond what you've stated toward the
end? Did you notice or not notice this prior to the new rigging?

truthfully no, I don't know for a fact that it is a rigging issue and in
fact I did notice this prior to the new rigging. I replaced the rigging
because it may have been the original gear on the 40 year old boat. We
got a large set of invoices for work done when we bought the boat in
2000, but no record of the standing rigging ever having been replaced.

Another poster mentioned keel/rudder alignment. Unless the boat came out
of the mold wrong, and I don't think it did because this assymetry has
only been noticed for two seasons, I will look closer at the rudder when
it comes out in the fall if I can't resolve this by tweaking the rigging.

Here's a tuning guide for manually tuning a C&C.. not sure what boat you
have.

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityou...ing/tuning.htm

close enough, mine is a 1966 Hinterholler HR 28
thanks

"mr.b" wrote in message
[...]

Good move about replacing the rigging... I seriously doubt it's an alignment
issue. It may just be the nature of the boat. You'll never have a boat that
behaves exactly the same on opposite tacks. I've noticed this on many
different boats, including my boat, although I've never worried about it all
that much. It was professionally tuned. If I have a full water tank (port
side), then I can see a slight lean when it sits at the dock. I usually
leave it about 1/2 to 3/4 full, which seems to work. Even, for example, and
inch off on the traveller center would make a difference.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Get this document:

http://seldenmast.com/frameset.cfm?i...dnum=334078021

Choose the English version.

If the performance of your boat is indeed asymmetrical, something not
rig related might be afoot. Your keel (or rudder) could be out of line.

Cheers,
GM

mr.b wrote:
I'm consistently a kt. slower on the port tack than the starboard ...
On both tacks the inner shrouds flop loosely...
I'm looking for tuning hints here.

Tighten the rigging and scrub the portside hull?

Brian W

brian whatcott wrote:
mr.b wrote:
I'm consistently a kt. slower on the port tack than the starboard ...
On both tacks the inner shrouds flop loosely...
I'm looking for tuning hints here.

Tighten the rigging and scrub the portside hull?

Brian W

That's a winner if the boat is on a marina berth, not a swinging
mooring. The side that gets the sun fouls worse . . .

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:

Q-Jet tuning help (performance Merc 5.7) Rainmann General 6 May 23rd 07 03:55 PM
Fine tuning your rig Joe ASA 46 July 17th 06 01:20 PM
Help tuning old Merc Scott Cruising 0 July 13th 06 02:44 AM
Tuning The Rigging Geoffrey Freer General 5 November 28th 03 12:34 PM
Tuning the engines Bob General 2 July 25th 03 01:16 AM