BoatBanter.com

-   -   rig tuning suggestions (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/108117-rig-tuning-suggestions.html)

mr.b July 23rd 09 10:51 PM

rig tuning suggestions

I'm consistently a kt. slower on the port tack than the starboard and
it's starting to make me nuts. Almost as nuts as the "weather" on the
Great Lakes this "summer".

To start, all the standing rigging is new as of last year with about 40
hours of total sailing time on it.

I measured the mast for plumbness using the main halyard, then tightened
the uppers by hand keeping the mast in column. Then snugged the forestay
hand tight. Then attempted to induce some prebend by tightening the aft
stay, first hand tight, then with a wrench. Sighting up the main track
shows a slight aft bend, maybe an inch over my 34' mast height, then
checking again for straightness athwartship. Finally hand tightened the
single inner shrouds.

Out for sail testing and on the starboard tack the boat falls into the
groove and runs right up to hull speed with a #3 and the full main in
about 12-15kts of breeze. Slight weather helm and I can trim her for
hands off at hull speed.

Tack to port and we have to fall to leeward a bit to get her to
accelerate and she never really gets into a comfortable groove. More
pronounced weather helm and she seems to be struggling to come to hull
speed.

On both tacks the inner shrouds flop loosely and I know that will need to
be dealt with next time out. As well, the forestay sags at least 5-6
inches from the centreline. I've read that "hand-tight" is good enough
for shrouds and stays but this can't be right. My pointing ability can't
be what it could be with such a loose rig.

I'm looking for tuning hints here. It's just a conventional masthead rig
with single lower shrouds and no backstay tensioner installed. Headsails
are hank-on. Main has 3 full battens.

Wilbur Hubbard July 23rd 09 11:22 PM

rig tuning suggestions

"mr.b" wrote in message
m...
[...]

If you really expect any decent advice how about providing the following:

1) Make and size of boat include LWL
2) How are you measuring speed through the water? (GPS or submersed rotor?)
3) Angle of heel on port tack
4) Angle of heel on starboard tack
5) What kind of keel does the boat have?
6) Inboard or outboard motor?
7) if inboard is the prop shaft on the centerline?
8) how are you determining the apparent wind angle?

Wilbur Hubbard

Capt. JG July 23rd 09 11:48 PM

rig tuning suggestions

"mr.b" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Are you sure it's a rigging issue, beyond what you've stated toward the end?
Did you notice or not notice this prior to the new rigging?

Here's a tuning guide for manually tuning a C&C.. not sure what boat you
have.

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityou...ing/tuning.htm

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

gmackey July 23rd 09 11:52 PM

rig tuning suggestions

Get this document:

http://seldenmast.com/frameset.cfm?i...dnum=334078021

Choose the English version.

If the performance of your boat is indeed asymmetrical, something not
rig related might be afoot. Your keel (or rudder) could be out of line.

Cheers,
GM

Brian Whatcott July 24th 09 01:17 AM

rig tuning suggestions

mr.b wrote:
I'm consistently a kt. slower on the port tack than the starboard ...
On both tacks the inner shrouds flop loosely...
I'm looking for tuning hints here.

Tighten the rigging and scrub the portside hull?

Brian W

IanM[_2_] July 24th 09 01:54 AM

rig tuning suggestions

brian whatcott wrote:
mr.b wrote:
I'm consistently a kt. slower on the port tack than the starboard ...
On both tacks the inner shrouds flop loosely...
I'm looking for tuning hints here.

Tighten the rigging and scrub the portside hull?

Brian W

That's a winner if the boat is on a marina berth, not a swinging
mooring. The side that gets the sun fouls worse . . .

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:

Jim July 24th 09 02:14 AM

rig tuning suggestions

mr.b wrote:
[...]

How are you determining your speed? GPS? Is there any current?

mr.b July 24th 09 03:12 AM

rig tuning suggestions

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:14:57 -0700, Jim wrote:

How are you determining your speed? GPS? Is there any current?

knotmeter cross-referenced to gps, while current can set up, it's not
relevant to the problem I'm experiencing because I'm can be in the
current on both tacks

mr.b July 24th 09 03:13 AM

rig tuning suggestions

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 01:54:27 +0100, IanM wrote:

brian whatcott wrote:
mr.b wrote:
I'm consistently a kt. slower on the port tack than the starboard ...
On both tacks the inner shrouds flop loosely... I'm looking for tuning
hints here.

Tighten the rigging and scrub the portside hull?

Brian W

good one!

That's a winner if the boat is on a marina berth, not a swinging
mooring. The side that gets the sun fouls worse . . .

naw it's not...I'm berthed in 18ft of crystal clear fresh water