Default Flying the chute without a pole?

Are there any other devices like the ATN Tacker for flying a
symmetrical spinnaker without a pole? I seem to remember something
called a Spinnaker Guy or something like that....?

Comments on using the chute in such a manner? I have a sweet drifter,
but I also just got a gorgeous chute to play with. Yes...I do have a
pole, but I was wondering about flying without one on occasion.

Cheers,

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob wrote:
Are there any other devices like the ATN Tacker for flying a
symmetrical spinnaker without a pole? I seem to remember something
called a Spinnaker Guy or something like that....?

Comments on using the chute in such a manner? I have a sweet drifter,
but I also just got a gorgeous chute to play with. Yes...I do have a
pole, but I was wondering about flying without one on occasion.

Cheers,

RB
35s5
NY

I made my tacker.
A short piece of towing strap and a couple of 2" D rings.
Took half an hour to sew up (my Brother couldn't do it, so
I did them by hand)

As for the Sym?
Use the pole.

Asymmetricals can fly without a pole, but I doubt that a sym type
would stay open all that well.

Richard

On Jun 16, 12:52 am, cavelamb wrote:
Capt. Rob wrote:
[...]

I did some research and it appears you can fly the Asym without a
tacker type device just fine. Owners of the ATN claim the real
advantage is when used with a symmetrical chute. I'll be sailing a
Hobie cat next week in NC, but when I get back I'll give the tacker a
try with my new Doyle spinnaker and post the results. Thus far I'm
very pleased with the Somerset drifter aboard Heart of Gold....

http://ghostlight.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p1055380683-5.jpg

In 3-8 knots it's a real winner.

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob wrote:
[...]

All the tacker does is hold the tack closer to the centerline
of the boat - on the leeward side.

For a Sym Spin, the pole does that, but to the windward side.

With the tack constrained near the nose, going larger downwind
could get messy...

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:28:03 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

With the tack constrained near the nose, going larger downwind
could get messy...

It's possible to float a symetrical spinnaker out in front of the boat
on a pair of light sheets with no pole at all but it takes constant
adjustment to keep it flying properly and there is serious risk of
getting a bad wrap around the headstay. You really need a pole to do
it properly. However, heading up to about 110 or 120 degrees of
apparent wind you can easily fly a symetrical chute from a tack
penant, or in light wind from a pennant attached to the forward point
of the bow pulpit. There is surprisingly little force on the pulpit
unless apparent wind speed goes over 12 kts or so, and it is more
efficient to have it tacked further forward than the headstay.

wrote:

With the tack constrained near the nose, going larger downwind
could get messy...

It's possible to float a symetrical spinnaker out in front of the boat
on a pair of light sheets with no pole at all but it takes constant
adjustment to keep it flying properly and there is serious risk of
getting a bad wrap around the headstay. You really need a pole to do
it properly. However, heading up to about 110 or 120 degrees of
apparent wind you can easily fly a symetrical chute from a tack
penant, or in light wind from a pennant attached to the forward point
of the bow pulpit. There is surprisingly little force on the pulpit
unless apparent wind speed goes over 12 kts or so, and it is more
efficient to have it tacked further forward than the headstay.

This is also true in wing-on-wing situations with a regular jib or jenny.
There's little force on the jib if it's either full or collapsed, but when
the wind picks up, you can get a fairly hefty shock load on the sheet and it
can wrap the headstay if it's out in front of the stay and collapses.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

amen. See the April 19 Lucaya post I put up a while ago :{/)

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

easolutions...

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
[...]

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

This is also true in wing-on-wing situations with a regular jib or jenny.
There's little force on the jib if it's either full or collapsed, but
when the wind picks up, you can get a fairly hefty shock load on the
sheet and it can wrap the headstay if it's out in front of the stay and
collapses.

Yes, I think I remember that post... wrapped the jib did you? It happens
sometimes with students. You can usually sort it out if you blanket the sail
with the main, but it can be a hassle.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Cruising chute Gordon Cruising 1 June 9th 09 04:51 AM
First Chute SUZY ASA 2 May 8th 06 03:45 PM
MOB pole light Roger Long Cruising 6 March 22nd 06 05:41 PM
Geomagnetic pole vs Magnetic Pole Bob Crantz ASA 7 March 15th 06 06:22 PM
flying the chute? gonefishiing ASA 18 October 21st 04 11:35 AM