cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Flying the chute without a pole?

Capt. Rob wrote:
On Jun 16, 12:52 am, cavelamb wrote:
Capt. Rob wrote:
Are there any other devices like the ATN Tacker for flying a
symmetrical spinnaker without a pole? I seem to remember something
called a Spinnaker Guy or something like that....?
Comments on using the chute in such a manner? I have a sweet drifter,
but I also just got a gorgeous chute to play with. Yes...I do have a
pole, but I was wondering about flying without one on occasion.
Cheers,
RB
35s5
NY

I made my tacker.
A short piece of towing strap and a couple of 2" D rings.
Took half an hour to sew up (my Brother couldn't do it, so
I did them by hand)

As for the Sym?
Use the pole.

Asymmetricals can fly without a pole, but I doubt that a sym type
would stay open all that well.

Richard

I did some research and it appears you can fly the Asym without a
tacker type device just fine. Owners of the ATN claim the real
advantage is when used with a symmetrical chute. I'll be sailing a
Hobie cat next week in NC, but when I get back I'll give the tacker a
try with my new Doyle spinnaker and post the results. Thus far I'm
very pleased with the Somerset drifter aboard Heart of Gold....

http://ghostlight.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p1055380683-5.jpg

In 3-8 knots it's a real winner.

RB
35s5
NY

All the tacker does is hold the tack closer to the centerline
of the boat - on the leeward side.

For a Sym Spin, the pole does that, but to the windward side.

With the tack constrained near the nose, going larger downwind
could get messy...