Default Ping Shaun - long tail boats

Shaun,

I did a bit of research and got some answers back from Phuket. the
following are not "quotes" but mainly remembrances from the Tsunami
days.

A new long tail boat - say 20 - 25 ft. long with new single cylinder
motor - US$ 4,000

A second hand boat with motor - US$ 2,350 - US$ 3,000

A new single cylinder, horizontal, diesel engine - US$ 530
(bare engine)

Frankly the numbers sound high to me, but I've never looked into these
boats before. The boats themselves are built of wood - no plywood -
and wood in Thailand is not cheap, in fact it is cheaper to weld up
steel rafters for a house then to use wood, in addition any wood that
is good for boat building commands a premium.

If the costs sound like something in the general region of what you
might be interested in let me know and when I get back to Phuket I
will get some actual quotes for you.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

attn bruce; buying a long tail boat? imagineero Cruising 3 April 30th 09 02:03 AM
Long Boats and Drag? Davej General 11 September 27th 07 07:19 PM
Ping: All the rec.boats Computer Guru's JimH General 37 January 10th 06 07:16 PM
are you quiet, I mean, combing in long boats Franklin I. Aldredge ASA 0 April 22nd 05 10:59 AM
A Moral Tail (long) JG ASA 8 April 21st 05 01:02 PM