Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default attn bruce; buying a long tail boat?

Hi Bruce, or anyone else who might have some comments?
I'm going to thailand in 3 or 4 weeks and was interested in buying a
(probably second hand) long tail boat. Has anyone had experience with
this? I've heard all different types of stories about how there is no
title on boats in thailand, that its likely to be a legal problem,
that you cant register it in thailand even if you do buy it (at least,
not in your own name) etc etc....

I'd be interested in hearing opinions from anyone who has had
experience with this.... From what I've read, these boats can be had
for under $1,000 second hand with motors. Is a license of some kind
required? are the boats generally registered? are they pretty
seaworthy?

I had considered either buying one and motoring up the river or around
the island for a month or two, probably modifying it a little to have
a canopy and bed with mosquito netting in one area. Another idea
(though probably unlikely) was to buy 2, and build a bridgedeck
joining them for a cheap cat. Have seen a couple for sale owned by
foreigners at ridiculous prices, also read the story about the
foreigner who got punched out just for owning a long tail boat.
apparently local operators thought he was stealing their business?

Any and all advice much appreciated!

Best Regards,
Shaun

Attn Bruce in Bangkok! Sailing in Thailand thread . . Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Cruising 0 November 15th 08 05:18 PM
Bruce in Bangkok begone! Long. Wesley Mouch Cruising 10 April 15th 08 07:10 PM
Bruce in Bangkok begone! Long. Wesley Mouch ASA 10 April 15th 08 07:10 PM
A Moral Tail (long) JG ASA 8 April 21st 05 01:02 PM
ATTN Boat dealers (?) Clams Canino General 0 August 8th 03 04:07 PM