Default great sailing day today

Had two J-24 with three students per boat with a jr. instructor on the
second boat. Twas the second of a two 4-hour class. Mostly practiced
tack/jibe, MOB, heave-to, getting the feel for sailing, since they had
basically zero experience before the class. Sailed out of Treasure Island,
up toward Bezerkeley, then down below the Bay Bridge, tacked in front of the
CG installation, then back under the bridge, and home. Wind started at about
10 kts, picked up to 17 or so with some whitecaps showing at slack.

It was Opening Day, but we avoided the congestion since it was a class.
Still, lots of boats banging around the tail end of the Slot. Air temp was
very moderate with haze in the morning, then clearing. Had a long sleeve
shirt and a windbreaker, and was plenty warm, even in the general Slot area.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Apr 26, 10:04*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
Had two J-24 with three students per boat with a jr. instructor on the
second boat. Twas the second of a two 4-hour class.,,,,

Great couple of days sailing here, too... just finished the annual
FHYC Wilkerson Memorial Cup

There was almost no wind at all as we headed out to the race area. It
looked very probable that last year's drifter would repeat; but
instead the wind built from the South (sea breeze?) and by race time
we we de-powering with backstay & traveler.

We did a good job preparing the boat, we even had time for a practice
spinnaker set, gybe, and douse, before the start. We had the light air
sheets rigged which we had no way of knowing would be a mistake. In
the future, we may want to think about re-rigging these "on the fly"
since we -do- have heavy air sheets.

The start- small fleet,no real hassle, pin end favored. The slot right
at the pin end was grabbed early in the sequence by 'Pesty' (Morgan
25) and we did not contest it with them since I knew the Santana would
both outpoint and outfoot them going away from the line.... as long as
we started with speed at the gun... and we did.

Photos taken by the Race Committee show us blasting upwind away from
the fleet, but not with anywhere near as much heel as I remember. We
may want to not de-power quite so much in the future. Our close-hauled
speed thru the water hit 5.5 knots which is pretty fast (I think) and
we will want to use that as a target.

The wind was shifting and we got a compass reading early, which told
us we were getting headed early on the first beat. We tacked, taking
that shift, but strategically we should have either looked for a shift
back, or simply eaten the header a while; because this second tack
carried us too close in to the windward shore where the wind was
lighter and flukier. This mistake slowed getting up to the windward
mark (Neuse #17).

The race course was a Modified Olympic, meaning that we had a triangle
for the first lap (around a gybe mark) and a windward-leeward for the
2nd lap. The first reaching leg was a close reach and gusty. I felt it
would be risking a round-up to set the spinnaker and since I had to
flog the main and fight the tiller a bit without it, I am confident
this was the right choice. We talked of holding a higher course and
then bearing away for the mark and setting the spinnaker... we
probably should have done that.... or if we had practiced gybe-sets,
we could have done a gybe-set at the mark. The 2nd reach leg was a
deep reach and even though we had a 2nd sheet run to the rail for the
genoa, we would have been faster with the spinnaker. I don't feel we
lost much time on the first reaching leg since we rounded the
windward mark at 11 minutes into the race an the gybe mark at about 16
minutes. However both 'Pesty' and 'Anasazi Chief' gained on us on the
2nd reach.

The 2nd windward leg, the long one, we gained a lot of time &
distance. It's possible that I am de-powering the boat too soon since
photos don't show us heeling that much. But our tacks were good, we
stayed in phase with the shifts, and we were going 5.5 knots for much
of this leg. We did have to make an extra tack to pass thru the
'gate' (decreed in the Race Instructions) but it did not take us out
of phase with the shifts. On the last section of the 2nd beat, we
stayed out in the river more to avoid the in-shore light & squirrely
wind.

Bowman (Bob P) and middle crew (Ron M) did a great spinnaker set and
we took off at about 7 knots down the run. It as easy to pick out the
'gate' and the leeward mark so we could steer right for our goals. We
got 'housecleaning' done after the set & cranked the daggerboard up.
The wind was clocking to the west so we gybed to be on line to the
gate; the wind continued to clock (a header) and we were reaching hard
on the lower part of the run... no broaches, but we had to start our
douse early and Ron had to really wrestle the spinnaker in a port-tack
leeward take-down.

Our douse-n-round was textbook, except that I forgot the outhaul for a
few minutes... we were tight to the mark, sheet in hard, pointing high
& hauling ass... we don't know our close-hauled speed on the last beat
because the knotmeter had inadvertently been bumped and reset for
'average' speed (4.8 and rising)

The last beat was relatively uneventful, the wind had clocked more
westerly and pretty much stayed there; so we had one long tack right
thru the 'gate' and they kindly blew the horn. We honestly could not
see much of the next boats; but we had slightly over a 6 minute lead
in a 1 hour race....

The Morgan 25 'Pesty' is a good heavy-air boat so 12+ winds with chop
favored them, and they are good racing sailors. Nonetheless they only
corrected over us by 16 seconds.

Here's a link to pics of the race... some good ones of us!
http://picasaweb.google.com/jackson....09?feat=email#

Doug

"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

Had two J-24 with three students per boat with a jr. instructor on the
second boat. Twas the second of a two 4-hour class. Mostly practiced
tack/jibe, MOB, heave-to, getting the feel for sailing, since they had
basically zero experience before the class. Sailed out of Treasure
Island,

Thanks for taking young people sailing, Cap'n. Very commendable.....

This lady brought her son to a dock party when he was about 11. I've
never seen a white boy THAT pasty looking! The poor kid had no father
and only a proper southern belle for a mother who never went outside,
herself, except to get into her Lexus. He looked like a life-sized
doll, almost fake. An 11 year old boy is supposed to be TANNED, even
just a little!

I had no date for the party, so was free to "corrupt" the lad a bit when
Mom wasn't looking. If I had known he was coming ahead of time, we'd
probably had gone on a little harbor evening cruise, instead of sitting
at the dock. There was just the slightest air moving about, nothing to
upset the party goers below, so I showed him how we unfurled the various
sails and a little about how to set them and answered his questions
about what this did and that did as best I could aboard the Amel Sharki
41.

I lit off the electronics suite I'm so proud of and cranked up the radar
so he could see the GPS place us on the Raymarine's chartplotter/radar
display and he sat just fascinated as we watched several ships come and
go out of the harbor on the radar display. The party was too intense by
the radios at the nav station, but I had the M602 fired up at the remote
mic in the deserted cockpit so he could hear the ships and harbor pilot
traffic and Coastie broadcasts on 22A.

I distracted Cap'n Geoffrey long enough to get him to ask Mom if we
could take her and the boy on a little harbor sail on Sunday at high
tide about noon. She'd had a few wines to loosen her up a bit and she
agreed after the boy did a little whining....

He had a great time "sailing" the ketch for 4 hours on Sunday afternoon
in a nice 12 knot breeze. There wasn't any chance he'd get sunburned
after all the chemicals she lathered on him inside his PFD tethered to
the boat. I think we may have started a blister on his girly soft
hands.

I never saw him again after that day and wondered what ever happened to
him. Your post dug up that memory. Poor kid. He'll probably be a rich
lawyer living on a beachfront mansion driving expensive cars and never
have had fallen into the drink trying to step off onto the dock....or
gotten his hands bunged up when the wrench slipped off the stuck nut on
a diesel.

--
-----
Larry

Nice pictures! Funny how some people get a charge out racing, and others get
just as nice a charge out of teaching or cruising. I never got that much out
of racing except for the afterward in the club.

Looks like some yachtie karate going on in some of the people pictures.

wrote in message
[...]

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

[...]

These were actually all adults... the youngest person was the jr.
instructor... right out of the Cal sailing.

The dock's got plenty of room, but he just didn't want to parallel park and
asked me to move a skiff out of the way for him.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bob Bob is offline

On Apr 26, 8:04*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
[...]

That sounds fun! how much do you get paid for that job?
Im on my 14 off. I got to drink beer in Hilo, Hi.

"Bob" wrote in message
On Apr 26, 8:04 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
[...]

It was fun. I'm volunteering my time. Nice people who run it, the people on
their board are trying to convince me to volunteer for other orgs, but I
don't really have the time.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bob Bob is offline

On Apr 27, 11:14*am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

On Apr 26, 8:04 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:

[...]

Lucky guy ! Fun for FREE.............. Most people pay a lot of money
to have fun
Well, I think Ill have some coffee and then head to the beach and haul
out with the the sea turtles. They usually dont mind sharing the black
sand.
Bob

"Bob" wrote in message

On Apr 26, 8:04 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:

[...]

I was given an opportunity to discover sailing when I was in my early teens,
then in college had a great friend who reintroduced me to it in San Diego. I
like to pass on the experience if I can.

Sounds like a nice place... where you at?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bob Bob is offline

On Apr 28, 3:20*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

I was given an opportunity to discover sailing when I was in my early teens,
then in college had a great friend who reintroduced me to it in San Diego.. I
like to pass on the experience if I can.

San Diego............... I did some sailing in Mission Bay when I was
15-16 yo. lots of cheep fun there too!

Sounds like a nice place... where you at?

Im in Hilo Hawaii hanging out. I like it better here cause its way
ruff around the edges not like the glitzy Kona side or other places so
theres not many visitors. I was here a few months ago made a few post
and was belittled by RBC for some reason. Id recomend the place. A few
cruising boats are anchored out. Not much of a sailing community/
destination. I guess the "real cruisers" prefer california type
facilities instead of a free anchor out and the free local bus that
the poor locals use. I did buy a huge bunch of basil for a buck and 7
cantalope sized papaya for a buck at the farmers market (mostly
korean). Umm pasta n baisil for tonight and papaya for breakfast. Life
is good. So where is my Freya? Siting waiting for me to upgrade my
master license, bank some money, and get a new suite of sails from
Port Townsend.

So LIVE from Hilo Hawaii via morgan city, la this is AKA boB saying
eat a papaya and go lie with the sea turtles.. Youll live longer.

Bob

--
"j" ganz - Hide quoted text -

Today is a great day! Tim General 9 February 12th 09 03:16 PM
Today is a great day for America Reginald P. Smithers III[_9_] General 16 February 28th 08 11:43 PM
Great Day Sailing Today + HANSA 400 review + Self Tending Jib Bart ASA 3 May 21st 07 07:07 AM
I had a great day on the water today on my boat and................. JimH General 38 August 16th 06 05:59 PM
Great Day on the Chesapeake Bay Today!@ John H General 36 July 5th 05 10:16 PM