BoatBanter.com

-   -   my next dream boat... (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/103739-my-next-dream-boat.html)

Mark Borgerson April 1st 09 05:38 PM

my next dream boat...

In article om,
says...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...
is a Freedom 33 Cat Ketch. I like the semi-traditional look, the
uniqueness (is this a word?) of the cat ketch rig in a (more) modern
yachts and, from following the Yahoo owners group, the dedication
displayed by the owners for these boats.
I like the 36 too but not real fond of the big bump out in the cockpit
created by the aft cabin. We (the family and I) enjoy a large(r) cockpit
and this arrangement wouldn't work for us.
I'd like a shoal draft/swing keel but like the openess of the cabin with
the fixed keel (swing keel version has the trunk bisecting the salon),
but can't have everything so probably settle for the fixed keel.
I've seen other more recent cat ketches but most look like most other
modern boats that just happen to have this rig, almost as an after
thought while the Freedoms maintain some of the "chunkyness" of the old
cat boats.
Not looking for screaming speed or to wow the dock walkers, but more the
comfort, design, ease of use and style of these boats.
Just trying to start a boat/cruising related discussion.
What do you guys think?

Not sure if you're interested, but I saw this on a newsletter I get.

FOR SALE Freedom 35 'Solo' (12/2008)
Built by Tillotson & Pearson, USA, 1983. Major refit 1999/2000.
Carbon Fibre freestanding masts with fully battened ketch rig.
Ideal Bluewater cruiser with the advantage of a doghouse for UK
type weather. New sails, new engine 2006.
Ashore Plymouth UK. £44,000.
Full details, photos at
www.petrockstowe.co.uk/solo

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

What the heck, while I'm dreaming of buying one, might as well as dream
about sailing it back from the UK!
Maybe smuggle some good beer back too.......

You think it would survive the trip? The mandatory quality-control
sampling, to check for damage from motion and temperature, might
leave little in hand at the end of the trip on a 35' boat. ;-)

Mark Borgerson

Edgar April 1st 09 05:43 PM

my next dream boat...

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...
Agreed. Shallow water is the reason for my preference of a swing keel.

I'm
just off the Indian River Lagoon, where (as I'm sure you know), except for
a few spots in our area, sailing is pretty much restricted to the ICW
channel for boats with more than 4' draft. These open areas are mostly
deep enough but I've done my share of sandbar hopping on a friends 27
Hunter with 4'2" draft. There's the ocean too, but we're about 5 boat
hours from the inlet which doesn't allow for "just hop on the boat"
outings.

For shallow water I think that a centreboard is best if you want a boat that
can go well to windward when there is sufficient depth and yet go into
shallow water with the keel up.
I don't understand your preference for swing keel in shallow water, unless
we are not talking about the same thing. To me, a swing keel is what the
deep ocean racers have, with a heavy bulb at the bottom that can be swung to
one side to provide better stiffness on a long tack. In restricted shallow
water that would be useless since when you tack there would be insufficient
water to swing the keel down and hoist it up the other side.

MMC April 1st 09 06:17 PM

my next dream boat...

"Edgar" wrote in message

"mmc" wrote in message
[...]

We're talking about the same thing. I've always understood a swing keel as
the as the type that is drawn in a arc (pivoting on a pin at the top) into a
trunk, either under the boat or inside the cabin as in the Freedoms.
But then, I could have been using the wrong terminology for a long time now!
I beleive the term for a type you describe that pivots side to side is
"Canting Ballast".

MMC April 1st 09 06:21 PM

my next dream boat...

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Mark Borgerson" wrote in message
g...
In article ,
says...
Don White wrote:
"mmc" wrote in message
[...]

The advantage of the swing keel in a smaller sailboat, besides sailing
in
shallow waters, is the ability to easily launch/retrieve & tow.
With a 36 boat, I'd be more concerned about stability in heavy
seas... so
I'd stick with a fixed keel.

regardless of what it does to windward performance...

Until you get into the classes like the America's Cup yachts, with
their tilting keels, doesn't a fixed keel improve windward
performance?

Mark Borgerson

A fixed fin keel offers more lateral resistance than a swing keel but a
swing keel will generally out perform a full or 3/4 keel.

I shouldn't have made that blanket statement which would not apply to all
long or swing keels. Excuse my lack of thought before posting?

MMC April 1st 09 06:22 PM

my next dream boat...

"Mark Borgerson" wrote in message
g...
In article om,
says...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"mmc" wrote in message
[...]

Good point - might have to get rid of it enroute!

Justin C[_18_] April 1st 09 08:08 PM

my next dream boat...

In article , Edgar wrote:
For shallow water I think that a centreboard is best if you want a boat that
can go well to windward when there is sufficient depth and yet go into
shallow water with the keel up.
I don't understand your preference for swing keel in shallow water, unless
we are not talking about the same thing. To me, a swing keel is what the
deep ocean racers have, with a heavy bulb at the bottom that can be swung to
one side to provide better stiffness on a long tack. In restricted shallow
water that would be useless since when you tack there would be insufficient
water to swing the keel down and hoist it up the other side.

I think you'll find that is called "canting". Swing tends to be in a
fore-aft direction; forward is down, wind the rope/cable and it rise
aftward into a casing.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Wayne.B April 1st 09 08:19 PM

my next dream boat...

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 18:43:05 +0200, "Edgar"
wrote:

To me, a swing keel is what the
deep ocean racers have, with a heavy bulb at the bottom that can be swung to
one side to provide better stiffness on a long tack.

No, what you describe is called a "canting keel", expensive and very
rare.

A swing keel is really a centerboard that pivots fore and aft.

Justin C[_18_] April 1st 09 08:23 PM

my next dream boat...

In article , cavelamb wrote:
When Brian A. Lewis of Seattle tried to sell his boat, Jubilee, no one would pay
his asking price of $28,500. Mr. Lewis told police investigators that
maintaining the boat caused “extreme anxiety,” which led him to him drill a
two-inch hole in Jubilee’s hull last March.

Jeebus, the mind absolutely boggles. REDUCE THE PRICE!

There are some of us who'd bite the hand off these people. I'm not a
poor man, but neither am I that wealthy that I can afford the boat of my
dreams. At the moment I'm looking for a boat, and my budget is about
$17k (12k of our British pounds). There's not an awful lot you can get
this side of the pond for that money.

I can understand that people don't want to make a loss on these things,
but surely it's better to get *some* money for a boat than lose it and
gain a criminal record?

What is happening to these boats abandoned in the US? Are salvage
companies taking them and re-selling them? Are they being scrapped? What
is the law regarding finding an abandoned boat - especially one with
it's identification erased? Are there cherries to be found in the
everglades?! Should I come for a holiday in the hope of finding
something?

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Edgar April 1st 09 08:32 PM

my next dream boat...

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Edgar" wrote in message

[...]

Ah yes. We are talking about the same thing, which I call a centreboard.
That is surely the right way to go if you want shallow water capability with
good windward performance when depth of water allows.
Never heard the term 'canting ballast' although once heard it is self
explanatory, but that is what I have always regarded as a 'swing keel'.

Edgar April 1st 09 08:36 PM

my next dream boat...

wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:17:03 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

"Edgar" wrote in message

"mmc" wrote in message
[...]

I've always thought of a swing keel as being a centerboard that is
also substantial ballast.

Yes, some are and some are not heavy. I have raced dinghies with cb's
weighing almost 200 pounds and others where the cb was plywood for lightness
with a slug of lead cast in to ensure it stayed down.