gccch

Default Bald Head Island

Hello all,
I am vacationing on Bald Head Island this summer. I have a 18' runabout
that I'd like to bring along, and have checked with the marina there. Does
anyone know if there might be a place on the intercoastal side of the island
I might be able to moor my boat instead of using the marina? The marina is
set up for large cruisers and very expensive for my small craft. On Cape
Cod, we just moor the boat off the beach in the bay and swim out. Can I get
away with this at BHI?

Thanks,

Greg

Rosalie B.

"gccch" wrote:

Hello all,
I am vacationing on Bald Head Island this summer. I have a 18' runabout
that I'd like to bring along, and have checked with the marina there. Does
anyone know if there might be a place on the intercoastal side of the island
I might be able to moor my boat instead of using the marina? The marina is
set up for large cruisers and very expensive for my small craft. On Cape
Cod, we just moor the boat off the beach in the bay and swim out. Can I get
away with this at BHI?

Not likely. Big Big currents in the Cape Fear River, plus or possibly
partly because of large tides. Even in the marina if there is a SE
wind is not completely safe. I agree about the price - that's why I
don't go there anymore. From our last visit
http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/2b810/#TL

I don't know if you could drag the boat up on the beach somewhere or
not - would depend I suppose on who was watching.

You might be able to put the boat at a dock in Southport and take the
ferry in, but even that is pretty iffy.
grandma Rosalie
DSK

gccch wrote:
Hello all,
I am vacationing on Bald Head Island this summer. I have a 18' runabout
that I'd like to bring along, and have checked with the marina there. Does
anyone know if there might be a place on the intercoastal side of the island
I might be able to moor my boat instead of using the marina?

Nope. There is no place that a boat larger than a canoe can be safely
secured anywhere else on the island. It's all either marsh or
tide-scoured beach.

... The marina is
set up for large cruisers and very expensive for my small craft. On Cape
Cod, we just moor the boat off the beach in the bay and swim out. Can I get
away with this at BHI?

If you don't mind your boat getting swept away by the tidal current, or
swamped by waves, or don't mind wading through 1/2 mile of swamp mud
(BTW you can also get a hefty ticket for invading protected marsh
areas), sure.

A better plan would be to moor your boat in Southport, or just park it
on it's trailer, and take the ferry over when you want to use it.

Bald Head Island Marina is very expensive, but I think it's assumed that
if you vacation there, you can afford it.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bald Head Island gccch General 1 July 12th 04 05:43 PM
bahamas hotel atlantis hotel bahamas grand bahamas island hotel atlantis hotel in the bahamas hotel in the bahamas adfunk Jehad Internet Cruising 0 February 4th 04 11:42 PM
Bald Head Island gccch General 7 February 1st 04 03:42 PM
This war is On-Topic, really, Part One, very long Gould 0738 General 0 September 27th 03 12:42 PM