gccch

Default Bald Head Island

Anyone have experience boating at BHI? We're planning a week there this
summer and thinking of bringing our 18' ski boat for the intercoastal. Any
advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

D0N ßailey

"gccch" wrote in message
Anyone have experience boating at BHI? We're planning a week there this
summer and thinking of bringing our 18' ski boat for the intercoastal. Any
advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Check in with the Dock Master on Channel 16 when entering the harbor.
I usually get charged about $10 for a few hours. Not sure what longer
term dockage would be. Watch out for shoaling in the Cape Fear
when crossing over to the ICW. You can easily get in about 1' of water
behind
Battery Island if you're not careful. Stay close to the buoys and
you'll be fine.

1. Its going to be HOT!
2. Bring mosquito repellant.
3. Bring $$$.
4. Bring golf clubs

You are aware you cannot bring a motor vehicle on the Isl.. right?

If your interested in just relaxing/fishing/boating, you'll have a good
time. Not much
else going on over there AFIK.

Fishing can be good around the markers just outside of the harbor. On a calm
day, you can probably go outside the inlet. Try bottom fishing close to the
beach around the Oak Island lighthouse. You'll catch lots of whiting.

Stop in at the Provision Co. for a Corona and a Grilled Tuna sandwich when
at Southport. Great family place to eat with it's own docks. Mr. P's is not
bad
either. They have docks as well, but are usually almost out of the water at
low
tide.

Tell Gene, Don sez "hey" when you see him. You'll know its him because
he looks like ZZ top.

He'll probably chime in here soon.

db

gccch

Thanks, Don. We are renting with another family on the island so we've been
checking the situaiton on land. Since there isn't much to do we're planning
to bring our runabout. This is great info. I've been looking at logistics
and plan to use the state ramp and parking at Carolina Beach. I've already
called the harbor master on BHI and got the scoop on daily dockage. It looks
like there's plenty of open water for the kids tubing and skiing, plus some
nice opportunity to catch fish. That's all we could hope for I suppose.
Otherwise we'll be hanging at the beach.

What do you mean by AFIK?

Greg

"D0N ßailey" wrote in message

"gccch" wrote in message
[...]

gccch

Gene,

Thanks for the info. The parking I refered to is at the Carolina Beach State
Park. I called there today and they said as long as I clear it with the
rangers they'll allow overnight for a few days. It is a bit far, can you
recommend a boat ramp in Southport that will allow us to park overnight?

This area has intrigued me for a long time and we are finally coming to
visit. I'm a little concerned that BHI is a little too "high society" for
me. The prices for accommodations are pretty high. We usually vacation in
the northern OBX.

Thanks,

Greg

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:48:41 -0500, "gccch" wrote:

Thanks, Don. We are renting with another family on the island so we've

been
checking the situaiton on land. Since there isn't much to do we're

planning
to bring our runabout. This is great info. I've been looking at logistics
and plan to use the state ramp and parking at Carolina Beach. I've

already
called the harbor master on BHI and got the scoop on daily dockage. It

looks
like there's plenty of open water for the kids tubing and skiing, plus

some
nice opportunity to catch fish. That's all we could hope for I suppose.
Otherwise we'll be hanging at the beach.

What do you mean by AFIK?

Greg

As Far as I Know

There isn't a lot to do on BHI, but that is by design. There is a lot
to do in Southport, Fort Fisher and so on.....
The NC Aquarium
Fort Fisher Ferry
Wilmington is the "big city"
Close to Myrtle Beach.. night life
Some amusements on Oak Island
Upscale restaurant in OI... Sea Grass
Best Chowder... Fish Tales
All you can eat... Hungry Fisherman
Give me a clue what you want to do and I can probably guide you to
'where.'

Get a chart of the area. The buoy system gets really strange where
the Cape Fear River turns toward the open sea and meets the ICW. More
than one boater has found themselves high and dry just opposite the
Southport Marina. Do try The Provision Company.... fine dining al
fresco... at reasonable prices. There are numerous waterfront
restaurants the length of the ICW. Little River, SC is a nice place
to eat... and the gambling boats leave from there.

Don's not kidding about shoaling. Watch out for the BIG boats and
Ships that will frequent the adjacent waters. The BHI ferries slow for
no man...

There is plenty of open water, but again, Jay Bird Shoals, which look
like "a lot of open water" are an island at low tide.

The waters can be absolutely treacherous entering the Atlantic through
the mouth of the Cape Fear.... especially at high tide. There is an
easier passage closer to Oak Island, but you need to follow a local
through there, first. Stay the hell *away* from Lockwood Folly Inlet
unless you have an experienced local on board...... and it probably
isn't worth it anyway.

Oh, I'm not quite sure what you meant.... but most of the Wildlife
Areas... and there is one in Southport that is much closer than
Carolina Beach... won't allow overnight parking.

"D0N ßailey" wrote in message

Tell Gene, Don sez "hey" when you see him. You'll know its him

because
he looks like ZZ top.

Yuck...Yuck......

Oh, Don....
Fish House has closed permanently, I think. Not sure what the Potters
are going to do with the property. Shell Shop is for sale. Rumor is
that area from Shrimp House to Provision Company to Ships Chandler is
going condo... hopefully a mean-spirited rumor.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time

Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.cafeshops.com/recdotboats Shameless

Commercial Plug for Lee's Rec.Boats Clothing

D0N ßailey

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:48:41 -0500, "gccch" wrote:

Thanks, Don. We are renting with another family on the island so we've

been
checking the situaiton on land. Since there isn't much to do we're

planning
to bring our runabout. This is great info. I've been looking at logistics
and plan to use the state ramp and parking at Carolina Beach. I've

already
called the harbor master on BHI and got the scoop on daily dockage. It

looks
like there's plenty of open water for the kids tubing and skiing, plus

some
nice opportunity to catch fish. That's all we could hope for I suppose.
Otherwise we'll be hanging at the beach.

What do you mean by AFIK?

As far as I know.

"D0N ßailey" wrote in message

Tell Gene, Don sez "hey" when you see him. You'll know its him

because
he looks like ZZ top.

Yuck...Yuck......

Oh, Don....
Fish House has closed permanently, I think. Not sure what the Potters
are going to do with the property. Shell Shop is for sale. Rumor is
that area from Shrimp House to Provision Company to Ships Chandler is
going condo... hopefully a mean-spirited rumor.

Oh hell no!!!

That little area just has too much character to go away.

How much spare $$$ do ya have?

checking my pockets

db

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time

Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.cafeshops.com/recdotboats Shameless

Commercial Plug for Lee's Rec.Boats Clothing

D0N ßailey

"gccch" wrote in message
Gene,

Thanks for the info. The parking I refered to is at the Carolina Beach

State
Park. I called there today and they said as long as I clear it with the
rangers they'll allow overnight for a few days. It is a bit far, can you
recommend a boat ramp in Southport that will allow us to park overnight?

This area has intrigued me for a long time and we are finally coming to
visit. I'm a little concerned that BHI is a little too "high society" for
me. The prices for accommodations are pretty high. We usually vacation in
the northern OBX.

Thanks,

Greg

Well...

The logitics of keeping a boat/car might be a bit tricky.

AND

the fact that all the fun stuff you might be interested in doing is
going to require a boat ride....

It just depends on how much *stuff* you want to do.

I think BHI ferry charges about $12/head one way for every trip back
to the mainland and it *can* be a bumpy ride if you take your boat
back to Southport for the fun stuff.

I'd probably just stay in Southport and launch the boat when needed.
shrug

Take a ride over to BHI on a calm day and rent a golf cart, have lunch
and see the island (don't miss the lighthouse). Come back with your wallet
intact.

:-)

db

[...]

Nick in Spartanburg, SC

We rented a house on BHI several years back. It was one of the several times
we've been there. When the tide came in, we couldn't use the entrance on the
beach side because the water came up under the house. I loved to sit on the
porch watching the ships come through the inlet and up the river. Keep a
scanning radio handy so you can listen to the VHF traffic from the
freighters coming in... "I want two tugs boat."

There's plenty to do on the island without spending a lot of money. Beach
combing; there's a Nature Conservancy and nature trails, and seminars. It
seems you can walk miles out to Frying Pan when the tide's out. There's a
swimming pool, and a couple not too expensive places to eat (Eb and Flo's &
River Pilot) and more expensive places if you prefer. Explore Old Baldy,
spend some time in the gift shop, walk the docks. Dig your hands into the
newly uncovered sand on a falling tide and filter out the little critters
that skitter beneath the surface - they tickle.

There's small outboard (fishing) boats and canoes for rent.

Follow the ferry into the marina if you're worried about shoal water. On a
nice day, anchor on the islands in the inlet that appear at low tide. Expect
to get boarded by the Oak Island Coast Guard if you boat in the area -
they'll leave happy and quickly if your papers and safety gear are in order.

Carolina Beach is a super marina and park but it can be a loooooong 10 miles
to the BHI Marina if the tide is coming in and the wind is blowing up the
CFR. Did you know the State Park has indigenous carnivorous plants?

As others noted, the CFR markers change colors at the ICW and to a newcomer
it can look like a Christmas tree of lights/markers especially if you're not
familiar with the lay of the land. It's not a bad idea to put a route in
your GPS before you get out there on the water. Snow's Cut is an interesting
boating area, so is Carolina Beach 'pocket'. There's the battleship North
Carolina on display in Wilmington. Wrightsville Beach isn't that far by boat
if the weather is nice.

Ride the State Ferry out of Southport even if you don't need to go where
it's heading. .

Take some kites.

Good place to watch the stars with a telescope.

Get a table near the ferry dock for a long lunch. Watch the people getting
on and off the ferry, lugging their bags and bicycles in a flurry of
ecstatic kids.

Learn about loggerhead turtles...maybe see some.
....usually in August and September, the eggs begin to hatch. Each nest
contains between 30-50 hatchlings. The hatchlings will make their way to
the water, following the moon as its guide. This is truly an amazing site
to behold.

You'll get at least one golf cart with the house - they're great for
exploring the island, but because there are no cars, bicycles are also a
very nice way to get around. Don't speed in the golf cart - you can get a
ticket...the cops have radar guns.

We've also stayed on a boat in the marina for a week. Great experience --
talking with the folks on the yachts that come and go.

Do take the bug repellent.

I love that place.
Nick in Spartanburg, SC

http://www.geocities.com/jeff_nicholas/BBR.html

"D0N ßailey" wrote in message

"gccch" wrote in message
[...]

Rob V

We try to go there every year for a week or 2.

There is only 1 grocery store on the island - the dont price gouge you - but
it can be expensive.

What we do is bring about 3 or 4 of those storage tubs from Home Depot and
pack in there.
1 is used for food - The rest is used for us.
It works out great.