Stephen Trapani

Default Magic Head

Okay, time for me to pay the piper, face the music, um, take my lumps,
er, anyway...

Turns out, I don't have a magic head, don't even have a difficult head
problem due to some weird vent connection. What I have is:

Peggie Hall wrote:

Stephen Trapani wrote:

When we use the head (a Groco Type K) and pump it out, the waste
comes out the holding tank vent line.

I meant when I pump the toilet...

I knew that's what you meant.

Okay, then I'm thinking logically, just going insane. Or I really do
have a magic head! ;-) It's a plastic tank, I can see it's empty.

Since you've used the toilet, or only after you vacuumed it out? 'Cuz
it's very possible that the tank doesn't hold anywhere near as much as
you think it does. How many gallons is it supposed to hold? It's also
possible that the toilet either uses a lot more flush water than you
think...or that it's leaking flush water, filling up the tank.

Yeah the tank was full. Somehow my dreamworld must have gotten mixed up
with reality, or my memory mixed up with itself, or something, so your
first guess was the right one. Good job! Not only didn't I stump the
headmistress I didn't even give her a little challenge. Oh well.

No point going into the gory details of how I messed up, I'm kind of
sketchy on that anyway, but you pretty much nailed it from the start.

I would like to ask another question though, since we now know my
confusion knows no bounds. Remember the head intake is connected to the
fresh water system:

...reconnect it to the intake thru-hull--which I suspect you've
mistaken for a head discharge thru-hull...I'll bet the PO "converted"
it when he connected the intake to the fresh water system.

... could be, but the '79 Hunter 33' couldn't have been designed
without a head discharge thru-hull, could it?

Prob'ly not on one that old, but it's possible...'cuz '79 was the first
model year to require holding tanks. Many boats built from then on were
plumbed to send all the waste to the tank. But it's more likely that a
PO prior to the most recent PO removed the head thru-hull and glassed it
over...'cuz your toilet isn't original either (it's a $600 toilet, btw).
So I'm guessing that the same PO who connected the intake to the fresh
water system also installed that toilet and decided to use the sink
drain through hull as a head discharge. However...

Maybe it Y'd into the sink discharge? Should I try to run it to there?

That'll work...in fact, although I don't think Hunter ever did, many
sailboats are plumbed that way to eliminate a thru-hull. You will have
to either keep a plug in the sink or install a shut=off valve in the
sink drain line that should remain closed except when the sink is in
use...otherwise the toilet will pull air through the sink that'll
prevent it from priming and pulling in any flush water.

So I have a through hull in the starboard locker near the head that
appears to be attached to the Y-valve and a through hull way over under
the port settee that, to the best of my knowledge is connected only to
the sink discharge. Where should I connect the raw water intake for the
head and where should I connect the overboard side of the head discharge?

Stephen
Peggie Hall

Stephen Trapani wrote:
Okay, time for me to pay the piper, face the music, um, take my lumps,
er, anyway...

Turns out, I don't have a magic head, don't even have a difficult head
problem due to some weird vent connection. What I have is:

Yeah the tank was full. Somehow my dreamworld must have gotten mixed up
with reality, or my memory mixed up with itself, or something, so your
first guess was the right one. Good job! Not only didn't I stump the
headmistress I didn't even give her a little challenge. Oh well.

So I have a through hull in the starboard locker near the head that
appears to be attached to the Y-valve and a through hull way over under
the port settee that, to the best of my knowledge is connected only to
the sink discharge. Where should I connect the raw water intake for the
head and where should I connect the overboard side of the head discharge?

Welll... You can use the same 3/4" thru-hull for both the head sink
drain and the head intake, but you cannot use the same thru-hull for
both the head intake and discharge. Since you don't have a 1.5" head
discharge thru-hull/seacock, you'll have to install one...or maybe not,
unless you're in coastal waters that offer immediate access to open sea
at least 3 miles offshore from the nearest point on the whole US
coastline...'cuz it's illegal to flush a toilet directly overboard or
dump a tank in any US coastal waters inside the "3 mile limit" and in
all inland waters including the Great Lakes.

Getting you sorted out is gonna be more involved than is practical here.
So how 'bout emailing me?
--
Peggie