Default Yeah, I know "plonk"

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
Richard Casady wrote:

Hanging was invented to be less cruel than boiling in oil or breaking
on the wheel. It achieved that at least.

The state of Utah used to offer the choice of hanging or shooting,
Nobody ever picked hanging.

Casady

I used to think that beheading was barbaric.
By ax, saber or guillotine. And I'm sure it sometimes was - when the
executioner had to take several swipes before the neck was severed.
But a clean cut through the spinal column, specially if the major blood
vessels were severed, was faster than the long drop. I think that was
likely a humane end in the best case.

Brian W

If the end is to devise and use the most humane form of execution, it's hard
to beat nitrogen asphyxiation. The condemned simply falls asleep and dies,
with no sense of panic from CO2 buildup. They don't even have to know it's
coming. Put them in a sealed chamber and gradually replace the oxygen with
nitrogen. They could fall asleep and die watching The Sopranos. The kindest
thing would be to tell them they'll be released in the morning, here's a
special waiting room while we do the paperwork...

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:25:20 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
.. .
Richard Casady wrote:

[...]

Or just reduce the air pressure. I understand that is how some of the
vets put dogs down these days. No panic, just pass out.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 22:06:36 -0500, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

Richard Casady wrote:

Hanging was invented to be less cruel than boiling in oil or breaking
on the wheel. It achieved that at least.

The state of Utah used to offer the choice of hanging or shooting,
Nobody ever picked hanging.

Casady

I used to think that beheading was barbaric.
By ax, saber or guillotine. And I'm sure it sometimes was - when the
executioner had to take several swipes before the neck was severed.
But a clean cut through the spinal column, specially if the major blood
vessels were severed, was faster than the long drop. I think that was
likely a humane end in the best case.

Brian W

Never do it with one blow from a saber. They are far too light. You
can recognise a executioner's sword by the lack of a point. Basically,
a two handed broadsword, heavy, somewhat like a claymore.

Casady

Richard Casady wrote:

[...]

Hmmm...this is a strangely topical note. There has been recent police
action directed to a group that sets out to aid the incurables and
unconsolables to end their lives.
The method they adopted was a plastic bag over the intended suicide,
with a stream of helium admitted to it.

The police action centered on the active nature of the assistance - they
assert the helpers were holding down the victims' hands. The helpers
insist they were holding hands with the suicide as a gesture of support.

Brian W

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
Hmmm...this is a strangely topical note. There has been recent police
action directed to a group that sets out to aid the incurables and
unconsolables to end their lives.
The method they adopted was a plastic bag over the intended suicide,
with a stream of helium admitted to it.

The police action centered on the active nature of the assistance - they
assert the helpers were holding down the victims' hands. The helpers
insist they were holding hands with the suicide as a gesture of support.

Brian W

I believe it is the absolute right of a free person to end their own life if
they so choose. But "assisting" in this manner strikes me as homicide.

Vic Smith wrote:

If the "helpers" aren't family members and are indeed holding down the
hands of the suicide in a restraining manner, it doesn't look good.
But you might need a qualified stationary engineer to turn the helium
valve due to union rules. Do you know if it's a union shop?

--Vic

Talk about dark humor.
And YES I laughed....

:-)

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:45:36 +0700, Bruce In Bangkok
wrote:

Or just reduce the air pressure. I understand that is how some of the
vets put dogs down these days. No panic, just pass out.

I have been high enough in an unpressurized aircraft to die fast
without oxygen equipment. Watch my Stuka impression if the oxygen gear
fails. Basically you pass out often without noticing anything wrong.

You want to gas someone carbon monoxide is painless, unlike cyanide
which may not be. The gas chamber starts out with a breath holding
contest.

Casady

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
If the "helpers" aren't family members and are indeed holding down the
hands of the suicide in a restraining manner, it doesn't look good.
But you might need a qualified stationary engineer to turn the helium
valve due to union rules. Do you know if it's a union shop?

--Vic

It could work kinda like a Shabbat elevator... ;-)