Default A hole in the rudder.

The recent rescue of the British couple has put emergency steering firmly
on my radar screen. I have three different ways to turn my rudder stock but
there is still the issue of internal failure at the weld where the internal
steel plates attach to the stock. This simple expedient will give me
something to work with if that should ever happen.

http://www.rogerlongboats.com/09Misc.htm#Hole

My rudder is configured so that internal failure will probably leave it
still attached to the boat.

--
Roger Long

Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 26, 10:34*am, "Roger Long" wrote:
The recent rescue of the British couple has put emergency steering *firmly
on my radar screen. *I have three different ways to turn my rudder stock but
there is still the issue of internal failure at the weld where the internal
steel plates attach to the stock. *This simple expedient will give me
something to work with if that should ever happen.

http://www.rogerlongboats.com/09Misc.htm#Hole

My rudder is configured so that internal failure will probably leave it
still attached to the boat.

--
Roger Long

Greetings Roger,

Good ideal.

I have some friends who took off several years ago cruising. The
first major repair was just what you described. He has a P-40 and the
steel frame welded to a stainless shaft in the rudder corroded out
leaving the glass skin spinning on the stock.

http://www.synamaste.com/Log%20Pages...y%20Marina.htm

Water dripping out of a rudder give me the willies, recipe for
disaster.

Joe

"Joe" wrote

Water dripping out of a rudder give me the willies, recipe for disaster.

According to two boatyards I've talked to, it's far more common than you
would think. They say the only foam and glass rudders that don't have some
water in them are the ones where no holes have been drilled to check.
Considering the strains and the nature of the materials and interface where
the stock enters, I think water intrusion is pretty much inevitible with
conventional construction. Only something like leaving a space in the foam
and injecting something tenacious and resiliant like 5200 around the places
where the shaft enters is likely to keep water out.

My rudder was in fresh water until 2005 so I'm not as concerned about it as
I might be. However, I do plan to remove and rebuild it before too many
years.

--
Roger Long

Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 26, 11:15*am, "Roger Long" wrote:
"Joe" wrote

[...]

Hollow steel rudder filled with antifreeze is a good way to go.

Joe

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

The recent rescue of the British couple has put emergency steering
firmly on my radar screen. I have three different ways to turn my
rudder stock but there is still the issue of internal failure at the
weld where the internal steel plates attach to the stock. This simple
expedient will give me something to work with if that should ever
happen.

http://www.rogerlongboats.com/09Misc.htm#Hole

My rudder is configured so that internal failure will probably leave
it still attached to the boat.

--
Roger Long

I met a guy in the harbor with a lost rudder on a small sailboat, probably
26', don't remember the brand. He just lost it...the post was still there.

He was going crazy trying to figure out how to turn the boat without it.

"Did you try turning the outboard motor on the stern?", I queried, to his
astonished face.....

I wasn't really trying to be a smartass, but sometimes nature just hands
you the ultimate joke and you can't help but respond!

"Larry" wrote in message
"Roger Long" wrote in
:

[...]

I almost lost my rudder on my Cal 20. I pulled pulled the pins that held the
pintles in the gudgeons for some reason I can't remember and forgot to put
them back in. A couple of minutes later the tiller got a bit taller, as it
worked its way out, then started to leave the boat. I had all I could do to
hold on and haul it back in.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in
:

I almost lost my rudder on my Cal 20. I pulled pulled the pins that
held the pintles in the gudgeons for some reason I can't remember and
forgot to put them back in. A couple of minutes later the tiller got a
bit taller, as it worked its way out, then started to leave the boat.
I had all I could do to hold on and haul it back in.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

That sorta reminds me of a friend leaving the brand new giant solar panel
laying on top of the old solar panel...forgetting it was up there until the
boat heeled over and they all watched it diving into the harbor.....true
story....(c;]

In 40' of water, not much left to find we figured.....

"Larry" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in
:

I almost lost my rudder on my Cal 20. I pulled pulled the pins that
held the pintles in the gudgeons for some reason I can't remember and
forgot to put them back in. A couple of minutes later the tiller got a
bit taller, as it worked its way out, then started to leave the boat.
I had all I could do to hold on and haul it back in.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

That sorta reminds me of a friend leaving the brand new giant solar panel
laying on top of the old solar panel...forgetting it was up there until
the
boat heeled over and they all watched it diving into the harbor.....true
story....(c;]

In 40' of water, not much left to find we figured.....

That musta been an expensive mistake. My rudder (without the tiller) would
have been about $400, if I could find one. At one point I checked.

It was a strange feeling... tiller started to lift slightly, which I didn't
really recognize as a problem in the moment. Then, it got shorter.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Roger Long wrote:
The recent rescue of the British couple has put emergency steering firmly
on my radar screen. I have three different ways to turn my rudder stock but
there is still the issue of internal failure at the weld where the internal
steel plates attach to the stock. This simple expedient will give me
something to work with if that should ever happen.

http://www.rogerlongboats.com/09Misc.htm#Hole

My rudder is configured so that internal failure will probably leave it
still attached to the boat.

--
Roger Long

Well, you made me look. My rudder already has a hole as you describe.

I now have:

Wheel steering with cable and quadrant block
Tiller back up, nice long tiller too
Auxillary rudder style wind vane
Hole in the rudder for a rope

Steel rudder supported by steel skeg.

I think I'm good to go on that one.

"hpeer" wrote in message
Roger Long wrote:
[...]

You're going nowhere until you remove the jack stands and launch the boat. .
..

Wilbur Hubbard

bullet hole Keith Nuttle Boat Building 6 May 30th 04 09:45 PM
Wilderness Systems Pamlico 145T -- to rudder or not to rudder? Burton Manne General 0 April 9th 04 01:08 AM
hurricane hole JGPicard General 1 September 13th 03 02:38 AM
My hole in the lake [email protected] Boat Building 0 July 24th 03 06:56 AM