Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default A hole in the rudder.

"Larry" wrote in message
"Roger Long" wrote in
:

The recent rescue of the British couple has put emergency steering
firmly on my radar screen. I have three different ways to turn my
rudder stock but there is still the issue of internal failure at the
weld where the internal steel plates attach to the stock. This simple
expedient will give me something to work with if that should ever
happen.

http://www.rogerlongboats.com/09Misc.htm#Hole

My rudder is configured so that internal failure will probably leave
it still attached to the boat.

--
Roger Long

I met a guy in the harbor with a lost rudder on a small sailboat, probably
26', don't remember the brand. He just lost it...the post was still
there.

He was going crazy trying to figure out how to turn the boat without it.

"Did you try turning the outboard motor on the stern?", I queried, to his
astonished face.....

I wasn't really trying to be a smartass, but sometimes nature just hands
you the ultimate joke and you can't help but respond!

I almost lost my rudder on my Cal 20. I pulled pulled the pins that held the
pintles in the gudgeons for some reason I can't remember and forgot to put
them back in. A couple of minutes later the tiller got a bit taller, as it
worked its way out, then started to leave the boat. I had all I could do to
hold on and haul it back in.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com