Keith Nuttle

Default bullet hole

I live in a subdivision call College Acres Estates in northern
Indianapolis. I had my boat setting in the drive as I reworked the
garage so that I could keep it there. Someone decided that it was not
proper and shot it in the side.

The boat is a 1970 Venture 21. The hole is about 8" to 10" below the
rubrail, about 2' back from the front of the cockpit. It is circular,
the fiberglass is broken and the paint on the inside is blown off.
However the bullet does not appear to have completely penetrated the the
hull, as there is no apparent hole on the inside. The bullet could
have been a 22 or from a pellet gun based on the diameter of the hole in
the broken fibers.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the repair?

rock_doctor

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
Does anyone have any suggestions for the repair?

Call the state police! Firing a firearm with in 100 yrd of a house, road so
on is very illegal...especially if the direction of the bullet would have
gone into the house if the boat was not there. The person could be charged
with attempted murder. A similar thing happen to my boss and the guy did it
three times he now is serving time.

Take a few good pictures of the hole in the boat and in the direction that
the bullet came from, for your records... People who do these kind of
things are severely "off" and tend to not stop unless they know that you are
keeping track of the details. Also make sure the police report states the
direction of origination and if they take the bullet out get a picture of it
sitting next to a quarter (for scale). I guarantee it will be lost as soon
as the officer gets into his car (know that from personal experience...).

You may also be able to claim the vandalism repair on your home insurance
but it really is easy to fix and won't cost that much.

Clean out the hole, get a fiberglass repair kit (comes with a small can of
resin and some glass sheets) and cut the glass into small pieces the size of
the hole. Saturate them with resin and layer them into the hole. Fill it
up as tightly as you can. Let cure and then get a gel coat repair kit and
fix the gel coat. Easy to do but will cost a couple dollars (probably less
them $50 from start to finish).

mark

Robert Haston

It doesn't sound too serious. Given the typical structural repair is find
the bottom of the repair and grind out from it on a very shallow slope (10
to 1?) this would be probably be overkill. I would just fill it in.

If you do elect for surgery, try not to ruin the bullet because of ballistic
evidence. The jerk may brag to someone and word may get around.

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
I live in a subdivision call College Acres Estates in northern
Indianapolis. I had my boat setting in the drive as I reworked the
garage so that I could keep it there. Someone decided that it was not
proper and shot it in the side.

The boat is a 1970 Venture 21. The hole is about 8" to 10" below the
rubrail, about 2' back from the front of the cockpit. It is circular,
the fiberglass is broken and the paint on the inside is blown off.
However the bullet does not appear to have completely penetrated the the
hull, as there is no apparent hole on the inside. The bullet could
have been a 22 or from a pellet gun based on the diameter of the hole in
the broken fibers.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the repair?

D. Reid

Keith,
You most likely have a double hull type boat with expanded (pour in place)
foam between the two surfaces. The fact there was no penetration through the
inner shell indicates either a high powered pellet or if it was a .22 it may
have fragmented upon entry. In either case, I wouldnt worry about finding
it.

For the fix...I would suggest (depending on the size of the hole) a 3/'8" or
1/2" light countersink to clean up the edges of the hole. Nothing fancy,
just counter sink the hole and sand lightly around it. A mix of epoxy and
Cab-o-sil and some micro balloons would be the best fix. No glass
cloth...just the epoxy mix. I wouldnt recommend polyester...but if it is all
you have, go with it. Clean the hole and the area well. Remove all dust with
a little acetone or denatured alcohol. I assume you cannot get behind the
hole so if you may have to fill it with two or more applications this wont
be a problem. If you CAN get behind it, just repeat on the inside what you
do on the outside...a light counter sink and fill. Just when the first
application has stiffened up fill again. you want the two applications to
bond and this is best when the first application is still "green".
Just get it filled...sand fair and flat...prime and match the paint as best
you can.

I will be glad to answer any questions.

Hope this helps,
Dave Reid
"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
I live in a subdivision call College Acres Estates in northern
Indianapolis. I had my boat setting in the drive as I reworked the
garage so that I could keep it there. Someone decided that it was not
proper and shot it in the side.

The boat is a 1970 Venture 21. The hole is about 8" to 10" below the
rubrail, about 2' back from the front of the cockpit. It is circular,
the fiberglass is broken and the paint on the inside is blown off.
However the bullet does not appear to have completely penetrated the the
hull, as there is no apparent hole on the inside. The bullet could
have been a 22 or from a pellet gun based on the diameter of the hole in
the broken fibers.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the repair?

SAIL LOCO

I'd take the boat to a marina. That's where boats belong. Or buy a trailer
and move to a trailer park. Boats look fine in the driveways there.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"

rock_doctor

"Sam" wrote in message
m...
In any event,if the police
get involved I'd mention Sail Loco as he sounds like the type.

If the original poster is still around I would like to know the out come. I
hope you did call the police or the state police if your locals did not
care. Today they shot your boat tomorrow maybe some kid on a moped.

how to fix 1/2" hole in sunfish hull Scott G. General 1 June 14th 04 02:37 AM
Sealing a Thru-Hull Hole Tony Abbott Boat Building 3 April 29th 04 04:23 PM
Plugging Drain Hole camp Boat Building 0 April 28th 04 04:29 PM
My hole in the lake [email protected] Boat Building 0 July 24th 03 06:56 AM