Default Speaking of emergency steering

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:36:12 -0800 (PST), Two meter troll
wrote:

On Feb 23, 5:16 pm, Bruce in Bangkok decypher-
wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 18:26:30 -0500, "Gregory Hall"

wrote:

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
reasolutions...
"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
news:nY2dnZIboLJQsD7UnZ2dnUVZ_umWnZ2d@centurytel .net...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
yareasolutions...
I saw a rudder that was filled with water, watched it drain when she was
hauled, but it didn't fail. I suppose getting hit would do it or over
time with corrosion.

I regularly inspect the cables controlled by the quadrant on my boat,
but never find anything. I'm going to pull the binnacle at some point
and lubricate.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

A water-filled rudder? That's a new one on me. I saw an ad once for a
water-filled anchor that was just the cat's pajamas. Empty it out, it's
really light. Fill it up, it gets really heavy. Fill it with fresh water
and you have an extra supply of drinking water to boot.

Well, ok... not filled but definitely had water intrusion... nice idea
though..

Did it morph into a lizard-like rudder as you watched it? Maybe the lizard
was just peeing? How much longer do you think you'll be having those
flashbacks?

What do you call the sock puppet of another sock puppet? A second-hand
sock? A re-sock? Socket? Socker? Sockette?

Or just ridiculous?
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I suppose it would be miscellaneous hosiery. so hoser would work.

" I hosed him" I like that "Hubbard the Hoser"

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:45:49 -0500, jeff wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:04:59 -0500, jeff wrote:

Catamarans of course have an issue since the keels are usually only
slightly deeper than the rudders, so strikes are common.

That can happen of course, but most monohull steering failures are
caused by structural issues internal to the rudder or in the cables,
blocks or quadrant.

Yes - but cable issues are a different class of failure. Every boat
should have some form of emergency tiller to make do when there is some
type of linkage issue. No one should be stranded mid-ocean because of a
quadrant or cable problem.

So this leaves several failure modes - rudder falling off, post
separating inside rudder, and post bending and jamming rudder. I wonder
what the frequency of failure is for the various types of rudders.

I read a fairly comprehensive analysis of rudder strength in some
boating magazine - probably Practical Boat Owner - but it was several
years ago. The article was an excerpt from the author's testimony as
an expert witness in a court case involving the loss of a yacht rudder
during a storm.

So apparently it is not an unknown phenomena, and from the tone of the
article, which did not mention the make of yacht but I think was a
Benataou (sp?) and seemed to say that many yacht rudders were not
constructed with the idea of being caught in a major storm in mind.

Well, duh! Not many things are built to withstand hurricanes let alone
hurricanes at sea.

Even the largest of ships route to evade them. Some idiot in a small
production yacht who doesn't take advantage of weather routing is not too
bright. (Even Zac isn't THAT dumb!)

And that most worthy of master mariners, Capt. Neal, would not purposely
sail his highly-modified, positive flotation, bluewater Coronado 27 into
hurricane. That's just dumb. And, make no mistake, hurricanes can and should
be avoided. Anybody who gets caught at sea in one is doing something wrong.

Wilbur Hubbard

Default Please,someone! Go sailing and talk about it!

In article , Goofball_star_dot_etal wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:25:10 -0000, Justin C
wrote:

In article , Roger Long wrote:
Here's someting on topic:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...cue/index.html

Shame it's not a better story. OK, so it's not the worst, but it could
be better.

At least they were . . .
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/7905946.stm

I don't condone that, but I don't think they've had more than the
leaches in Whitehall and Brussels.

As soon as I can, I'm off.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:17:25 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:16:17 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

A water-filled rudder? That's a new one on me. I saw an ad once for a
water-filled anchor that was just the cat's pajamas. Empty it out, it's
really light. Fill it up, it gets really heavy. Fill it with fresh water
and
you have an extra supply of drinking water to boot.

The weight of water in water is nothing. In other words the thing will
be so bulky that its bouyancy will result in nearly no effective
weight. Anchors need to be dense as well as heavy, the weight in the
water is all that counts.

Casady

Uh, yeah. That's a given, I think.

Most of the foam filled "spade" rudders typical on modern sail boats
will either float when new or sink very slowly. This was forcibly
brought home to me when I tore off the lower half of my rudder on a
coral head and had to build a new one. The rudder is built on a 3 inch
thick wall stainless tube stock with approximately 2 square feet of
0.250" stainless plate welded to it. The foam core is about 2.5 X 3.5
feet in area and, say 4 " thick at the thickest. The approximate
dimensions of the original.

When we went to install the rudder I dove in to align the rudder stock
and guide it into the rudder bearing only to find that the damned
thing floated. We were finally able to install it by passing a line
tied to the rudder stock through the bearing in such a manner that the
rudder stock was pulled up to the bearing and all I had to do was
push it straight which I was able to do from the surface.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

katy wrote:

Weather still not good enough here (high winds and deep draft plus
shallow water equals bad boo)
It's beginning to loo like ASAin here...

Well, it's not sailing, but we left Maine Nov 22nd and are right now n
Boqueron. See www.mp-marine.com, where there is a series of story
pages.

Michael Porter

Michael Porter Marine Design
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com

It's Time To Sail...and talk Sailing! Capt. Rob ASA 0 April 13th 06 01:25 PM
don't talk a cat Sara ASA 0 April 22nd 05 10:32 AM
Hear "Nautical Talk Radio" - Sailing to the Med, Red, & Dead Seas Capt Lou Cruising 2 November 29th 04 09:36 PM