Default Speaking of emergency steering

"Two meter troll" wrote in message
On Feb 23, 4:13 am, "Roger Long" wrote:
My rudder quadrant is pretty massive. In addition to an emergency tiller,
the wind vane control lines attach to the quadrant so I can steer with
the
vane gear or by pulling on the lines. My concern is the stock breaking
off
of the steel plate inside the rudder at the weld and starting to just
spin
inside the rudder. Like most, mine fills with water and drains all
winter.

I'm thinking of adapting an idea from the old sailing ships an attaching
stout ring through bolted with straps to the rear upper corner of the
rudder. This is just above the waterline on my boat. I can either run a
line
to this while standing on the boarding ladder or keep a light line rigged
as
shown he

http://www.rogerlongboats.com/images/Esteerline.jpg

Lines taken either side to blocks on the toe rail holes and then to the
winches should give me some control at the cost of some topside chafing.

I also have a very bunk bin board over my holding tank that is nearly as
large as my rudder. I plan to obtain a suitable piece of pipe and
pre-drill
it for a tiller and to attach the pre-drilled bunk board to. This can be
lashed to the wind vane tower. The ring on the rudder idea is simple
though
and applicable to many boats. If I can't find a suitable storage place
for
the stock long enough for plan A, I may just go with it alone.

If Cecil isn't too busy packing, he should be along soon to point out
that
only boats with outboard rudders that are painted yellow can be
considered
seaworthy. However, I bought this boat and got stuck with it before
discovering this group and having the benifit of his wisdom and
experience
so I'll just have to make do.

--
Roger Long

I like my chinese rudders.
you lift them out of the way and its no problem building a new one.

do folks actually have the rudder it self fail or is it normally some
system connected to it?
Ive had the cables or chains or hydro fail. but never had a rudder
actually fail. most times I had a mechanical back up system or a
tiller so it might have been a little inconvenient but not earth
shaking.

I saw a rudder that was filled with water, watched it drain when she was
hauled, but it didn't fail. I suppose getting hit would do it or over time
with corrosion.

I regularly inspect the cables controlled by the quadrant on my boat, but
never find anything. I'm going to pull the binnacle at some point and
lubricate.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Default Please,someone! Go sailing and talk about it!

On Feb 23, 2:26*am, katy wrote:
Weather still not good enough here (high winds and deep draft plus
shallow water equals bad boo)
It's beginning to loo like ASAin here...

Well, this isn't going to sound very manly after all the talk about
fires, explosions, and rudder failure; but I went sailing on Saturday.
It was chilly but the wind was OK... a tad on the light side, but OK
considering the temps... raced on a friend's Islander 30 and got a 2nd
& 3rd in class.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Two meter troll wrote:
do folks actually have the rudder it self fail or is it normally some
system connected to it?
Ive had the cables or chains or hydro fail. but never had a rudder
actually fail. most times I had a mechanical back up system or a
tiller so it might have been a little inconvenient but not earth
shaking.

My first keel boat was a Paceship Eastwind, similar to a Cape Dory 25.
The rudder was cored, and the coring had rotted a bit, allowing the
paddles that were welded to the post to wiggle. We opened it up and
filled it with epoxy. It wasn't close to failure, but I could imagine
the paddles breaking through the side of the rudder. I could also
imagine the weld failing if there was a hidden weakness.

My hunch has always been that the most common failure was a bent or
broken post, because they are often undersized on cheaply built boats.

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:25:10 -0000, Justin C
wrote:

In article , Roger Long wrote:
Here's someting on topic:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...cue/index.html

Shame it's not a better story. OK, so it's not the worst, but it could
be better.

At least they were . . .
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/7905946.stm

wrote in message
Weather still not good enough here (high winds and deep draft plus
shallow water equals bad boo)

It's beginning to loo like ASAin here...

Well, this isn't going to sound very manly after all the talk about
fires, explosions, and rudder failure; but I went sailing on Saturday.
It was chilly but the wind was OK... a tad on the light side, but OK
considering the temps... raced on a friend's Islander 30 and got a 2nd
& 3rd in class.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Good on ya, Doug! Glad someone is actually able to get out and sail this
time of year.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
I saw a rudder that was filled with water, watched it drain when she was
hauled, but it didn't fail. I suppose getting hit would do it or over time
with corrosion.

I regularly inspect the cables controlled by the quadrant on my boat, but
never find anything. I'm going to pull the binnacle at some point and
lubricate.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

A water-filled rudder? That's a new one on me. I saw an ad once for a
water-filled anchor that was just the cat's pajamas. Empty it out, it's
really light. Fill it up, it gets really heavy. Fill it with fresh water and
you have an extra supply of drinking water to boot.

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
I saw a rudder that was filled with water, watched it drain when she was
hauled, but it didn't fail. I suppose getting hit would do it or over
time with corrosion.

I regularly inspect the cables controlled by the quadrant on my boat, but
never find anything. I'm going to pull the binnacle at some point and
lubricate.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

A water-filled rudder? That's a new one on me. I saw an ad once for a
water-filled anchor that was just the cat's pajamas. Empty it out, it's
really light. Fill it up, it gets really heavy. Fill it with fresh water
and you have an extra supply of drinking water to boot.

Well, ok... not filled but definitely had water intrusion... nice idea
though..

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
Weather still not good enough here (high winds and deep draft plus
shallow water equals bad boo)

It's beginning to loo like ASAin here...

Well, this isn't going to sound very manly after all the talk about
fires, explosions, and rudder failure; but I went sailing on Saturday.
It was chilly but the wind was OK... a tad on the light side, but OK
considering the temps... raced on a friend's Islander 30 and got a 2nd
& 3rd in class.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Good on ya, Doug! Glad someone is actually able to get out and sail this
time of year.

You could too if you'd get your priorities straight, Admiral. It's pretty
dumb to live above the Arctic Circle and claim you love sailing. Duh! That's
like some fool living in the Sahara Desert claiming she loves to snow ski.

Get a clue, either move to where you can sail year round or stop the
pretense that you're an avid sailor. You are just another lubberly homebody,
or so it appears.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

Well, ok... not filled but definitely had water intrusion... nice idea
though..

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

When we first hauled our CT-41 for pre-purchase survey, the rudder "peed"
for a few minutes. The yard let it dry out, poured some alcohol in near the
top until it came out the same spot, then let it dry in the sun a few days.
They injected it with epoxy at the top until it came out at the bottom,
sealed it with duck tape (quack quack) and stood by with ice for a while to
keep it from getting too hot while it cured. Never had another problem with
it in six years.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
I saw a rudder that was filled with water, watched it drain when she was
hauled, but it didn't fail. I suppose getting hit would do it or over
time with corrosion.

I regularly inspect the cables controlled by the quadrant on my boat,
but never find anything. I'm going to pull the binnacle at some point
and lubricate.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

A water-filled rudder? That's a new one on me. I saw an ad once for a
water-filled anchor that was just the cat's pajamas. Empty it out, it's
really light. Fill it up, it gets really heavy. Fill it with fresh water
and you have an extra supply of drinking water to boot.

Well, ok... not filled but definitely had water intrusion... nice idea
though..

Did it morph into a lizard-like rudder as you watched it? Maybe the lizard
was just peeing? How much longer do you think you'll be having those
flashbacks?

--
Gregory Hall

It's Time To Sail...and talk Sailing! Capt. Rob ASA 0 April 13th 06 01:25 PM
don't talk a cat Sara ASA 0 April 22nd 05 10:32 AM
Hear "Nautical Talk Radio" - Sailing to the Med, Red, & Dead Seas Capt Lou Cruising 2 November 29th 04 09:36 PM