Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Skip Gundlach

Default 12V refrigeration

I may even have it from somewhere before, but the recent conversations on
reefers brought it to mind:

Someone on these lists built a direct drive 12V compressor for
refrigeration. My recollection has it connected to cold plates. It was
designed to do what an engine drive would do, but not run the engine. At
the time I saw it, it was new. If they're reading, I'd be interested to see
a report on its efficacy.

How much power did/does it take to operate? Was the size of the compressor
notably less than one on the engine, and if so, what is the relative run
time? In the end, are you happy with the outcome? If not, or even so, is
there anything you'd have done differently if you were doing it again?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip (and Lydia, by proxy), thinking of how to use the lovely cooling system
on the boat without running the engine or the AC air-cooled system, either

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a
clear night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize
that you are quite alone on a great, wide sea, it is apt to occur to
you that in the general scheme of things you are merely an
insignificant speck on the surface of the ocean; and are not nearly
so important or as self-sufficient as you thought you were. Which is
an exceedingly wholesome thought, and one that may effect a
permanent change in your deportment that will be greatly appreciated
by your friends." - James S. Pitkin