Skip Gundlach

Default 12V refrigeration

Hi, and thanks for the response.

"David&Joan" wrote in message
news:9i4Fc.6732$151.2942@fed1read02...
Skip:

Theoretical considerations aside, my advice would be to insulate your box

the hilt and then install one of the many DC driven Danfoss compressor
systems with a direct evaporator coil, ie no holding plate. Alder Barbour
and others make them.

David

Ah - now we get back to the discussion of evaporators and cold plates. I've
just got this thing for cold plates - and ours is an Adler Barbour system -
but if evaporators worked well, and I felt comfortable about not having to
worry about dinging them, I suppose I'd be ok with them.

However, I'm still trying to come up with the most efficient overall
electrical plan which doesn't use internal combustion any more than
absolutely necessary. Stories of reefers running happily off the solar or
wind make me happy, because most of the time they wouldn't need the battery
during the day, which - at least in the high season - will be when we're
gone most of the time. Depending on how much they cost, a
belt-and-suspenders approach might be worthwhile to consider:

We're going to redo the reefer. It's 19CF, with cold plates added some time
along the way, with a single hatch (see URL pix in sig), as originally laid
out as an icebox by Moorings, but divided so that a freezer section would be
easy. When we redo the top to have two hatches, as it's so big, we'll add
insulation and some fancy ceramic paint which adds some amazing R value for
a coat of paint. It's plenty big to add some insulation material and leave
the current cold plates (engine and AC on one of them, both 26* units),
*and* add evaporator plates around the perimeters. I also intend micro fans
(always on, in the bottoms) to move the air to even out the temps, and mega
gaskets and way-insulated tops as well. (I recall reading that the only
notable difference in the high-insulating coolers for the
picnic/camper/RV-tailgater crowd is an insulated vs not insulated lid, and
others in these fora and various mailing lists have cited the same in their
boxes' efficiency.)

Glenn was kind enough to give me a long dissertation on the merits of cold
plates and evaporators long ago in this space, so we don't need a
repetition, though others just joining the party might enjoy it/them. I'm
still of mixed mind. In the end, I want it to stay cold in the most
efficient manner. This will be our home, all year round, in the tropics, so
doing it well is important. The specific means of achievement (cold plate,
evaporator or mix)isn't really important. Part of my challenge is, I
realize, a fetish about not running internal combustion motors if I can
avoid it, complicated by our expected lifestyle of working ashore with the
boat on a mooring for some months per year. I anticipate we'll have awnings
and shades, but we won't run A/C, so it will be warm inside...

Thanks again for the input...

L8R

Skip and Lydia

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a
clear night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize
that you are quite alone on a great, wide sea, it is apt to occur to
you that in the general scheme of things you are merely an
insignificant speck on the surface of the ocean; and are not nearly
so important or as self-sufficient as you thought you were. Which is
an exceedingly wholesome thought, and one that may effect a
permanent change in your deportment that will be greatly appreciated
by your friends." - James S. Pitkin

Jeff Morris

I have a 8 foot fridge and a 5 foot freezer cooled by a 1/2 hp Crosby holding
plate system. If I had to do it over again, I might go with two Danfoss base
units. Redundancy and flexibility are good.

"David&Joan" wrote in message
Skip:

Theoretical considerations aside, my advice would be to insulate your box to
the hilt and then install one of the many DC driven Danfoss compressor
systems with a direct evaporator coil, ie no holding plate. Alder Barbour
and others make them.

David

Richard Kollmann

Default Alternative power Refrigeration

It is possible to have refrigeration on your boat without running the
engine. Here is a basic design concept that will allow wind or solar
power to support onboard refrigerator.
1. The refrigerated box needs to have at least four inches of
encapsulated urethane insulation. The size of the box and the
temperature to be maintained inside the box will determine the daily
energy required.
2. The decision as to wind or solar for energy depends on anchoring
and cruising locations. Large heavy boats that like to anchor out
where there is more of a breeze might be better suited to wind power.
In South Florida Solar Power seems to be the preferred alternative
power.
3. There are only two small 12 volt compressors today that can be
efficiently adapted to wind or solar power, the Danfoss BD35 and BD50.
4. To take full advantage of the new Danfoss variable speed
efficiency with alternative energy, manual or automatic speed
switching controls are required.
5. It is also possible to save 3 to 6 amp-hrs per day in some cruising
areas with a keel cooler.

Here is an example of a system in a three cubic ft. box with four
inches of urethane insulation, with a planed cruising area of the
Bahamas:
The condensing unit would be a Danfoss BD35 compressor either a WAECO
85 or a Technautics Coolblue. If the Coolblue were selected which is a
holding plate system a voltage startup switch would be added This
switch would bypass the thermostat when a charge current was
available from any source exceeding 12.8 volts the compressor would
run.
Seventy five watts of un-shaded, adjustable solar panels is the
minimum requirement for this example.
Two additional gulf cart six volt batteries are needed to produce 12
volts and would be wired to solar panels and refrigeration unit.
Between the gulf cart bank and the house bank there is a Battery
Combiner to link them together when a charge current is available.
To complete the system a battery monitoring instrument is required.

There are several wiring diagrams of these systems in my 12/24 Volt
Refrigeration Manual

From the author of four books on boat refrigeration
http://www.kollmann-marine.com

"David&Joan" wrote in message
[...]

Rosalie B.

We have an old system which by all accounts should not work. Sort of
like the bumblebee which should not be able to fly. It is a combined
110 AC system with an engine driven system. We run the system twice a
day for about 40 minutes. Since it is an old system, it could
probably use more insulation, and it is such a large space that it is
hard to keep on top of what's actually in there. Plus it isn't on a
thermostat so we have to be there on the boat to run it. We have to
be very careful how long we run the engine driven or the compressor
will freeze up - the 110 system can be go a bit longer without a
problem. I'm sure it is a holding plate system.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html
Skip Gundlach

Hi, Grandma :{))

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
We have an old system which by all accounts should not work. Sort of
like the bumblebee which should not be able to fly. It is a combined
110 AC system with an engine driven system. We run the system twice a
day for about 40 minutes. Since it is an old system, it could
probably use more insulation, and it is such a large space that it is
hard to keep on top of what's actually in there. Plus it isn't on a
thermostat so we have to be there on the boat to run it. We have to
be very careful how long we run the engine driven or the compressor
will freeze up - the 110 system can be go a bit longer without a
problem. I'm sure it is a holding plate system.

Sounds just like what we have. Somewhere along the way, quite recently, a
110 air-cooled unit was added. The lines go into one of the holding plates.
I didn't think to look to see if the other plate has input for them, but
it's probably irrelevant, as I can't conceive ever running our 110
refrigeration except at the dock (unless the solar and wind output is so big
that running it from an inverter wouldn't matter) - where we expect to be
only extremely rarely.

Along with the (one each new and older-style) Lectra-Sans, the 600 hour
6.5KW Onan/Kubota 3600RPM generator, the SS davits and whoknowswhatelse,
this might be one of the items available to purchase as we refit!

L8R

Skip and Lydia

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig
http://tinyurl.com/384p2

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a
clear night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize
that you are quite alone on a great, wide sea, it is apt to occur to
you that in the general scheme of things you are merely an
insignificant speck on the surface of the ocean; and are not nearly
so important or as self-sufficient as you thought you were. Which is
an exceedingly wholesome thought, and one that may effect a
permanent change in your deportment that will be greatly appreciated
by your friends." - James S. Pitkin

Rosalie B.

"Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

Hi, Grandma :{))

Hi

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
We have an old system which by all accounts should not work. Sort of
like the bumblebee which should not be able to fly. It is a combined
110 AC system with an engine driven system. We run the system twice a
day for about 40 minutes. Since it is an old system, it could
probably use more insulation, and it is such a large space that it is
hard to keep on top of what's actually in there. Plus it isn't on a
thermostat so we have to be there on the boat to run it. We have to
be very careful how long we run the engine driven or the compressor
will freeze up - the 110 system can be go a bit longer without a
problem. I'm sure it is a holding plate system.

Sounds just like what we have. Somewhere along the way, quite recently, a
110 air-cooled unit was added. The lines go into one of the holding plates.

Our system came with both systems as OE. Some people replace them
with just engine driven, or with genset driven or with something they
can run off of solar or wind power. We keep on using our OE which is
way cheaper than getting a replacement. It's way cheaper than
replacing it, since it works for us for now.

I didn't think to look to see if the other plate has input for them, but
it's probably irrelevant, as I can't conceive ever running our 110
refrigeration except at the dock (unless the solar and wind output is so big
that running it from an inverter wouldn't matter) - where we expect to be
only extremely rarely.

Along with the (one each new and older-style) Lectra-Sans, the 600 hour
6.5KW Onan/Kubota 3600RPM generator, the SS davits and whoknowswhatelse,
this might be one of the items available to purchase as we refit!

L8R

Skip and Lydia

grandma Rosalie
Larry W4CSC

"Doug Dotson" wrote in
:

I have a 12V DC belt driven setup. Based upon the size of the
pulley on the motor and compressor, a direct drive system
would seem to be rather tricky. My motor and compressor are
both 3/4 HP. Draws 50A when running.

Doug
s/v Callista

You know, many times while sailing along watching the shaft pulling the
shaft alternator at 20A or so, I've thought to myself, "Where will the
little R-134A compressor go on a longer belt to that alternator?" "Why is
the fridge running off power through so many "conversion losses"?"......

We'll need a liquid-thermostatic-controlled variable speed
transmission....(c;

Can we build one for your shaft?

Larry

If you don't think that shaft has the power to run it, try to stop it from
turning at 8 knots.

Larry W4CSC

"David&Joan" wrote in

Skip:

Theoretical considerations aside, my advice would be to insulate your
box to the hilt and then install one of the many DC driven Danfoss
compressor systems with a direct evaporator coil, ie no holding plate.
Alder Barbour and others make them.

David

AAAAACCCCCKKKKKK!!!! ADLER BARBOUR!!

If you install an Adler-Barbour electronic 12V compressor, be SURE you put
it into an RF shielded screen room! We had one on "Claire's Navie" that
had this AWFUL pulsing RF noise ON VHF CHANNEL 16!....

Bzzt....Bzzt.....Bzzt,Bzzt,Bzzt.....Bzzt......Bzzt .......Bzzt, Bzzt,
Bzzt....repeating the exact sequence of SQUELCH OPENINGS on both VHF radios
for your entire watch!

Drove us crazy until I turned the damned thing OFF~! Only bothered Channel
16...of all the channels....JUST 16.

Larry

Richard Kollmann

Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) Is not an Adler Barbour
refrigeration problem as Larry indicates it is a boat refrigeration
industry problem. It seems that only a very few boaters are concerned
with RFI, the others are willing to set the VHF squelch high enough to
silence it out. A few system manufacturers have received complaints
from ham operators about RF from their refrigerators or other boat's
refrigerator's parked nearby. On the few boats that are experiencing a
problem the full box copper screen over the condensing unit does seem
to satisfy at least three radio operators that answered my resent
survey.

"David&Joan" wrote in