Default Offshore

Richard Casady wrote:
On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 18:45:38 +0000, Gordon wrote:

Richard Casady wrote:
On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 19:00:17 GMT, You wrote:

What do you do with your anchor when going offshore for a week or two?
Gordon
connect it to a LOT of Chain/Line...... Duh....
On the NW coast of the US 2 000 feet of wire is a common anchor rode.
Shallow water seems to be scarce. It isn't exactly stowed, it's all on
the drum of the winch.

Casady

Boating magazine. Picture of a big spool of wire. on a foredeck.That
much 3/8 would weigh 600 lbs, not out of the question with a 40 ft or
bigger boat. How deep do you think fjords are? You can carry a couple
of thousand miles of good sized cable on a ship, but they don't anchor
with it.

Casady

This was on a sailboat? Sometimes sailboats have spools on the stern
with lots of line to tie to shore. Never on the bow.
If it was a fishing boat, you might have seen a gillnet drum or if it
was a longliner for halibut, black cod, or sable fish there could be a
drum with wire rope up to a couple miles long. Or a geoduck boat may
have a spool of chain because they anchor in currents but only up to 60
ft. But normal anchoring? No way.
Yes we have some deep water but there are also lots of good anchorages.
The tidal currents can run very strong here also and with a good blow,
you'd need a hell of a scope to hold in deep water.
Gordon

Richard Casady wrote:
[...]

A powerboat with with a naked deck, no stay or sail.
If it was a fishing boat, you might have seen a gillnet drum or if it
was a longliner for halibut, black cod, or sable fish there could be a
drum with wire rope up to a couple miles long.

That's not a longline. Those are forty to fifty miles long. Generally
700 lb mono. Looks like weed whacker string. You see the movie
Perfect Storm? The lady who was captain of Brown's other boat, the
Hannah Boden, wrote a book that describes longlining for swordfish in
detail.

Or a geoduck boat may
have a spool of chain because they anchor in currents but only up to 60
ft. But normal anchoring? No way.
Yes we have some deep water but there are also lots of good anchorages.

The tidal currents can run very strong here also and with a good blow,
you'd need a hell of a scope to hold in deep water.

That is why so much wire. Six to one scope in 330 ft of water takes a
2000 foot rode.

Richard Casady wrote:
[...]

I don't know about swordfishing but the regs control the number of
sets on a longline for the fishing I described. The lines are seldom
over a mile long.
Gordon

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 23:35:53 +0000, Larry wrote:

the stumps of those trees are lurking just under the surface of the
lakes, great for fishing, disasterous for boaters.

There are a couple of flood control lakes near Des Moines. They have
fields of standing timber, sometimes just under the surface. I was
boating on one with my 22 foot sterndrive, when a guy I let drive
headed for a marker at high speed while I was in the cuddy fetching
something. He put the prop in a tree trying to read the inch high
letters that said keep back three hundred feet. I wanted to kill him
and an unknown guy at the DNR. My family has had one of the very first
jet boats since the fifties, on a lake where nobody ever ventures into
shallow water, unless launching off a beach. Should of had it that
day. Someone told me you need three props to boat the artificial
lakes, one on the engine, a spare, and one in the shop getting
repaired.

Casady

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 05:09:12 +0000, Gordon wrote:

That's not a longline. Those are forty to fifty miles long. Generally
700 lb mono. Looks like weed whacker string. You see the movie
Perfect Storm? The lady who was captain of Brown's other boat, the
Hannah Boden, wrote a book that describes longlining for swordfish in
detail.

I don't know about swordfishing but the regs control the number of
sets on a longline for the fishing I described. The lines are seldom
over a mile long.
Gordon

That isn't really long, but I don't know what else you could call it.
You say they use wire. The weight would be an advantage. The idea is
to suspend the main line deeper than boxboat screws, a problem in the
Atlantic. Undoubtedly less of a problem in the fishery you refer to.

Casady

Richard Casady wrote:
[...]

This is bottom fishing.

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:26:10 +0000, Gordon wrote:

Richard Casady wrote:
[...]

In Iowa we have the trotline,a hundred feet long with fifty hooks.
Stretch it across a river, after catfish. Sort of HO scale longlining.

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
[...]

Deeper is better so they will not kill so many albatrosses

i put it away in the locker....