Default Offshore

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Edgar" wrote in message

"Gordon" wrote in message
m...
What do you do with your anchor when going offshore for a week or two?
Gordon

Mine is a Bruce anchor permanently stowed neatly on the bow roller with a
light line to stop it inadvertantly launching itself.
All the chain and the nylon rode is in the anchor locker on the foredeck.
Takes just a moment to have it ready to drop.

Do you think you'll need it offshore? Not sure how big yours is... I have
a small Buce (great anchor, btw), and I even stow it on the bay if I know
I'm not going to be using it. I'm thinking about replacing the light line
I use with a more robust bracket. It can get wild and wooly in the slot.

No, I surely will not need it offshore because here the depth can be 95
metres when you are only about a mile offshore so anchoring is out of the
question.
My main anchor is a 35lb Bruce with a length of 3/8 chain before the nylon
rode starts so it is not a lightweight affair.
It is secure and out of the way where it is and anyway it is a bit of a
pain to thread it inboard through the pulpit and past the Profurl roller
just to stick it into the anchore locker so I leave it where it is even now
while she is laid up. The flukes curl neatly around the prow and it just
seems the natural place for it. However I have had the nylon rode out on
deck and washed it off and dried it before putting it away for the winter.

Gordon wrote in
m:

Larry wrote:
Gordon wrote in
m:

What do you do with your anchor when going offshore for a week or
two?
Gordon

We take it with us.

Jeez Larry, that sounds like a Wilburrrr reply!!

I wasn't quite sure what to expect! You should never go around without
one. But, you knew that. I don't know anyone who just goes offshore for 2
weeks without stopping somewhere for some reason.....but I'm not a
fisherman.

Having all chain rode and a powerful electric windlass kinda makes it
getting loose a moot point.... That damned thing even picked up a tree the
anchor got caught in...no sweat.

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Edgar" wrote in message

"Gordon" wrote in message
[...]

Mine is much small, so I have much less of a problem to get it around my
Schaefer furler, but I don't usually do that unless I know there's going to
be a lot of big chop in the bay. I'm trying to figure out a way to secure it
better. It's got a line around the roller and anchor, but it could still hop
off.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Larry" wrote in message
Gordon wrote in
m:

Larry wrote:
Gordon wrote in
m:

What do you do with your anchor when going offshore for a week or
two?
Gordon

We take it with us.

Jeez Larry, that sounds like a Wilburrrr reply!!

I wasn't quite sure what to expect! You should never go around without
one. But, you knew that. I don't know anyone who just goes offshore for
2
weeks without stopping somewhere for some reason.....but I'm not a
fisherman.

Having all chain rode and a powerful electric windlass kinda makes it
getting loose a moot point.... That damned thing even picked up a tree
the
anchor got caught in...no sweat.

You might be able to make a living hauling up trees if you can find the
right spot. Some of that lumber is quite valuable.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Larry wrote:

Having all chain rode and a powerful electric windlass kinda makes it
getting loose a moot point...

If you're talking about getting it back aboard, maybe.
If you're talking about having the anchor & rode loose & flailing
against the hull, keel, & rudder, while underway offshore.... the
windlass ain't gonna help.

.... *That damned thing even picked up a tree the
anchor got caught in...no sweat.

So, you're in the Army Corps of Engineers Auxiliary?
BTW thanks from all of us that use the ICW

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

You You is offline

In article ,
Gordon wrote:

What do you do with your anchor when going offshore for a week or two?
Gordon

connect it to a LOT of Chain/Line...... Duh....

"Capt. JG" wrote in
easolutions:

You might be able to make a living hauling up trees if you can find the
right spot. Some of that lumber is quite valuable.

The two huge lakes created by dams in the Great Depression covered over
huge uncut forests because they filled too quickly to get the timber out.
Today, the stumps of those trees are lurking just under the surface of the
lakes, great for fishing, disasterous for boaters. The valleys are where
you can boat as the trees weren't tall enough to reach the water's surface.

As the lakes filled, an effort was made to cut many forests to create
navigable waterways. These huge logs were simply chained to the bottom and
anchored in the ground. Of course, that was then...this is now and the
chains have all broken loose the waterlogged underwater MOVING logs that
roam the lakes attracted by spinning propellers and underwater propulsion
units as if they were all magnetized.

The lakes are no fun for boating for these reasons. It's a real shame,
too.

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 19:00:17 GMT, You wrote:

What do you do with your anchor when going offshore for a week or two?
Gordon

connect it to a LOT of Chain/Line...... Duh....

On the NW coast of the US 2 000 feet of wire is a common anchor rode.
Shallow water seems to be scarce. It isn't exactly stowed, it's all on
the drum of the winch.

Casady

Richard Casady wrote:
On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 19:00:17 GMT, You wrote:

What do you do with your anchor when going offshore for a week or two?
Gordon

connect it to a LOT of Chain/Line...... Duh....

On the NW coast of the US 2 000 feet of wire is a common anchor rode.
Shallow water seems to be scarce. It isn't exactly stowed, it's all on
the drum of the winch.

Casady

Me thinks someone doth pull your leg!

On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 18:45:38 +0000, Gordon wrote:

Richard Casady wrote:
On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 19:00:17 GMT, You wrote:

What do you do with your anchor when going offshore for a week or two?
Gordon
connect it to a LOT of Chain/Line...... Duh....

On the NW coast of the US 2 000 feet of wire is a common anchor rode.
Shallow water seems to be scarce. It isn't exactly stowed, it's all on
the drum of the winch.

Casady

Boating magazine. Picture of a big spool of wire. on a foredeck.That
much 3/8 would weigh 600 lbs, not out of the question with a 40 ft or
bigger boat. How deep do you think fjords are? You can carry a couple
of thousand miles of good sized cable on a ship, but they don't anchor
with it.

Casady