Default Sailing!

katy wrote:
cavelamb wrote:

Just plug up ypour scuppers and let the hose fill up your cockpit
...a guy we knew back in Michigan did that one blistering hot day and
invited a bunch of his ni=eighbors over to come soak their feet and
swill beer...you could add soap and a 2hp outboard and have a
whirlpool with suds..

I've done that in the Capri, but the Hunter bridge deck isn't tall
enough.
Besides, sometimes you just want to play together in the bathtub.
Without the whole world watching!

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/her-sa...boat-home.html

JuSOmehow I don't think a portable bathtub would be big enough for two
people...

You just have to want to bad enough, Katy!

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 11:46:14 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

alt.usenet.kooks.

The vandals of the internet!

So, no, this newsgroup is probably not viable any more.
Nope. The kooks are easy to delete. Easy to recognize the names and
threads. If folks want to post cruising related posts, they can.
This is the first post I've opened in a while, not because of kooks,
but because nobody is posting about cruising.
And I recognized your name as a legit poster of course.
Kooks won't post anything cruising related.
Same with the flonkers. Easy to recognize and ignore.

--Vic
Fair 'nuff, Vic.

Heck, I'll even try to start!

D and I signed up for a local ASA Navigation class.
Come May I'm heading down to the Gulf for the Coastal Cruising class.

Some day soon, we are still hoping to hear the invitation to
"come get the boat"!!!

Richard

That's a good class... took it years ago.

I've flown all my life and expected it to be a no-brainer.
I signed up just to keep D company while she went through it.

It turns out that navigation, at it's core, is navigation.
But God is in the details.
And there are a lot of details that are quite different.

I'm glad I signed up for it.

Richard

Interesting... not a pilot, so I wouldn't know the diffs... can you give me
some examples?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Chart symbology, for starters...
Nothing the same there except Lat/Long.

Then...
Running the light ranges at night.
No bell and light bouys in the sky!

Flying into a new town at night, there are lights everywhere, but it's
usually pretty easy to pick out the airport and runway lights.

Trying to pick your way down a long complicated channel at night by
lights alone - with all the background lights at the same altitude?
Pretty high pucker factor if you don't know the area.
Will take a bit of getting used to at the very least.

On the plus side, things happen in slow motion at sea.
Plenty of time to work the problems before you get to the next point.

And I'm not worried about running out of gas real soon!

It's the same thing, but totally different.

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Ahh... I guess it was a dumb question... I was thinking there was some
esoteric calculation factor.. reminds me of coming down the Sausalito
channel at night a few years ago. I knew it pretty well even then, and I'm
following the channel lights... red to red to red, except then one of the
red ones turned green... oops. It were a traffic light. Time to stop. :-}

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Default Kooks

cavelamb wrote:
alt.usenet.kooks.

The vandals of the internet!

So, no, this newsgroup is probably not viable any more.

The only thing that will make it not viable is if people like you, who
like to post and read cruising info, start believing it is not viable
and you quit using it. If you let these kooks convince you of that, they
win.

Stephen

In article , Stephen Trapani wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
alt.usenet.kooks.

The vandals of the internet!

So, no, this newsgroup is probably not viable any more.

The only thing that will make it not viable is if people like you, who
like to post and read cruising info, start believing it is not viable
and you quit using it. If you let these kooks convince you of that, they
win.

I second that.

I logged on this morning (UK, so after all the Americans posted
yesterday evening), and I saw four threads, and no spam. If 'kooks' are
making your (Cavelamb) time in this group in-viable then you need to
beef up your filters/kill-file.

I hate it when newsgroups 'die'. Mainly because I hate web-formums so
much. There are just too many to follow, and often enough they're run by
the Gestapo who'll ban you if they don't like your opinion, or you
disagree with theirs. No, usenet is the *only* place for free and open
discussion, don't let the 'kooks' win.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Stephen Trapani wrote:

The only thing that will make it not viable is if people like you, who
like to post and read cruising info, start believing it is not viable
and you quit using it. If you let these kooks convince you of that, they
win.

Well put. I also agree that the annoyers are easy to spot based no
message content. There are the occasional world wide spammers which
infect every ng until the ISP's learn to filter them out but the ones
under discussion here can either be played for fun or easily ignored.

For all I know, there is but one or two with a seemingly infinite amount
of time and socks.

cavelamb wrote:
[...]

I 'third' that. Web forums are a royal PITA and many of them get
seriously spammed. It takes *far* longer to find the worthwhile posts
under the layer of anonymous tinned meat than it does here. When we get
flooded, there is usually a common pattern that allows automatic
filtering to be 99% effective. Finding a web forum sysop with enough of
a clue on IT issues to be able to filter effectively and responsively is
*rare*.

[RANT] Clueless sysops are more common, a case in point being a class
association forum where the Sysop has block deleted all messages over 2
years old *WITH* *NO* *BACKUP* as he felt that old event announcements
cluttered the forum and someone had told him that the forum software is
suspected to have problems with too many posts in its database in spite
of the fact that the total annual traffic on that forum is less than a
month's worth on other sites running the same software so we could have
carried on as was for some 12 to 24 years without running into the bug
*IF* *IT* *EVEN* *EXISTS*. [/RANT] As a result, the class has lost a
valuable technical archive of discussion of rule changes, boat tuning,
maintenance etc. and its also lost at least one member as I have decided
not to renew my sub.

Web forums are also at the mercy of their hosting and owner/sponsor so
tend to be short lived in USENET terms.

I could go on, but this is probably not the best place to do so ...

To sum up, USENET is broken but less so than Web Forums in general and
there are plenty of ways of keeping USENET usable available to the end
user.
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:

In article , IanM wrote:

[snip]

I could go on, but this is probably not the best place to do so ...

Phew! And I thought *I* got p****d off at web forums!

Long live usenet!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

Ahh... I guess it was a dumb question... I was thinking there was some
esoteric calculation factor.. reminds me of coming down the Sausalito
channel at night a few years ago. I knew it pretty well even then, and I'm
following the channel lights... red to red to red, except then one of the
red ones turned green... oops. It were a traffic light. Time to stop. :-}

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Maybe you stopped too late:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halluci...ption_disorder

Another LITS! Where have all the quality kooks gone? Porsche Monkey For Life ASA 16 March 12th 07 05:32 PM
Kooks sail too! HurricaneJeanne ASA 19 December 14th 06 10:42 AM
alt.sailing.asa is invaded by kooks, trolls,ding-a-lings, nuts and lunaticks. JeanneDArc~ ASA 0 December 11th 06 05:54 PM