Default BBB vs proof coil chain

I want to replace the old 3/8 proof coil chain that's been on the boat
for 31 years and around the world. I'm wondering about switching to
BBB 3/8 - if I can get a gypsy for BBB from Ideal.

they are the same WLL 2650 pounds but the BBB is a bit heavier per
foot 1.4 vs 1.7.

Any real reason to switch?

-----------------
-----------------

wrote in message
I want to replace the old 3/8 proof coil chain that's been on the boat
for 31 years and around the world. I'm wondering about switching to
BBB 3/8 - if I can get a gypsy for BBB from Ideal.

they are the same WLL 2650 pounds but the BBB is a bit heavier per
foot 1.4 vs 1.7.

Any real reason to switch?

-----------------
-----------------

BBB is a bit less than 20% heavier, so that could be a factor at the bow. My
recollection is that BBB has the highest strength, but if you're set up for
coil then you'd have to make sure the gypsy is compatible. It's lasted 31
years and is in good shape? Why switch? What's the motivation?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote:
I want to replace the old 3/8 proof coil chain that's been on the boat
for 31 years and around the world. *I'm wondering about switching to
BBB 3/8 - if I can get a gypsy for BBB from Ideal.

Why not just regalvanize the old chain? Doubtful that it's lost much
if any strength, and it's a lot cheaper.

Ideal was still in business last time I looked, and they're certain to
have a BBB gypsy.

Any real reason to switch?

I've heard & read that BBB does not tangle or kink as easily as HT or
proof chain. It's also a bit heavier per unit length so it might give
better holding power.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

wrote in message
Because it's been in some pretty good blows and at $1200 for new chain
- it's cheap insurance.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:17:35 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
I want to replace the old 3/8 proof coil chain that's been on the boat
for 31 years and around the world. I'm wondering about switching to
BBB 3/8 - if I can get a gypsy for BBB from Ideal.

they are the same WLL 2650 pounds but the BBB is a bit heavier per
foot 1.4 vs 1.7.

Any real reason to switch?

-----------------
-----------------

BBB is a bit less than 20% heavier, so that could be a factor at the bow.
My
recollection is that BBB has the highest strength, but if you're set up
for
coil then you'd have to make sure the gypsy is compatible. It's lasted 31
years and is in good shape? Why switch? What's the motivation?

-----------------
-----------------

No doubt. I guess my confusion about your question is that you said it was
in good shape. The question is whether or not the small diff in strength is
going to make a diff in the result.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Default testing new computer

just a test - ignore (ya, right...)

L8R

Skip, still working on cosmetic refit in SSI

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 21:23:47 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

just a test - ignore (ya, right...)

L8R

Skip, still working on cosmetic refit in SSI

Skip, while you're here, do you recall the price of diesel in
Georgetown last winter?

Thanks

johnson coil Chris General 2 May 25th 06 01:51 PM
coil Chris General 3 June 4th 05 01:56 PM
Chry 318 Ign. coil burning up [email protected] General 16 December 22nd 04 05:26 PM
help finding an ignition coil Scott J General 0 July 26th 04 12:36 PM
How to connect new coil/Plug? ReevesJ32 General 1 July 11th 03 03:56 AM