ReevesJ32

Default How to connect new coil/Plug?

I can feed the plug
wire through the boot and trim to length but do not know how to attach the
spring

Reb.... The prong is inserted through the plug insulating outer covering to
engage the inner steel wire. However, just to be sure of a good contact, I
always trim back about a 1/8" of the insulating covering, then fold the exposed
wires back against the circumfrence of the wire, trimming off the excess so
that it conforms with the roundness of the wire.

I then hold the spring terminal alongside the wire to judge where to insert the
prong so that when I flip the spring around in front of the wire, it will be
firmly up against the steel inner wire.

Now, to insert the wire and spring into the rubber boot easily, spray a slight
bit of WD40 on the spring, wire, and the inner portion of the boot where the
wire will be inserted. Just a little bit. That ought to do it.

Note that the large boot is for the spark plug, the smaller boot is to go to
the coil.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)
Reb

Thanks Joe,

Your tips make sense and will greatly help in completion of attaching the
coil wire to the plug boot/connector.

I greatly appreciate your help,

Reb

BTW, You would not happen to know where to get a low compression head gasket
for a Johnson 50 1972. I hear they are available but cannot find them.
Supposedly OMC had bulletins on timing a recommended Head Gaskets for old
Johnsons I have had no luck finding them.